Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should I pay the full pocket money this week or pro rata?

(5 Posts)
Simply Fri 19-Sep-08 07:23:08

This is a sick pay for au pairs question. Our au pair hasn't been feeling well for a few days so she has only worked two full days this week. I've told her not to worry but she doesn't like to be here and yet unable to do her normal work. I've helped by looking after her yesterday, buying the fruit, bread and herbal tea she wanted to make her feel better, offering to take her to the doctor etc. Now, dh says that we should pay the full "pocket money" (£60) this week but I think she won't want to take it as she hasn't worked the full hours. She is unlikely to do more than half her hours this week unless she feels much better say by tomorrow and chooses to do some on the w/e. Shall I pay her pro rata for this week or the full amount even if she is uncomfortable taking it? She doesn't need the money for anything btw as any financial commitments she has made (her evening class) has been paid out of previous weeks' money.

SqueakyPop Fri 19-Sep-08 07:31:01

Pay her the full amount. If she does resist, tell her she can make up the hours next week.

FourArms Fri 19-Sep-08 07:38:06

I'd pay the full amount, and just say to her that maybe one week you'll ask for extra babysitting or something so you'll be square.

Simply Fri 19-Sep-08 08:33:15

Okay, thanks. I'll pay the full amount.

We only go out on average once a week or less in the evenings (for about an hour) because of the after school activities ds and dd have on which dh or I need to ferry them to and from. It would cost too much to put ap on the car insurance as she has only just passed her test. I think we'll try more often to go out on the Sat each fortnight that ap is working. I don't want to cut down on family time though as the kids don't see much of their Dad in the week. Hmmm. I'll have to think it out.

Thanks for the advice. smile

FourArms Fri 19-Sep-08 08:44:48

My ap worked Monday to Friday, but I would still ask her to babysit on Saturday or even Sunday if I needed to go out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now