Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted Inspection- any advice

(26 Posts)
Sweetpeaherman Thu 18-Sep-08 22:00:16

I have been childminding for a couple of months, and have my first proper inspection coming up, (have already had my registration inspection).

I enjoy the childminding and love being with the kids, but if I confess, I have not been great with my paperwork, records etc (have been rubbish). Not an excuse but I'm pregnant and have been suffering with sickness and been really tired, and as soon as they have gone home and DS tucked up in bed, haven't been able to find the energy to do anything else.

I have a few days to prepare and wondered whether anyone could give me any tips on what I need to have to show them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, am panicking a little (lot).

Thanks very much.

navyeyelasH Thu 18-Sep-08 23:34:06

Ok I don't know whether this is legal/proper/morally right etc but you can buy all the paperwork you need from ebay.

It's like a childminders start up kit, you can also get EYFS stuff and learning resources like story bags etc.

Otherwise the BCMA site is great. Good luck with the inspection!

Sweetpeaherman Fri 19-Sep-08 07:56:04

Thanks for the advice, I'd logged off by the time you replied!

Don't think I'll go down the ebay route. Would be worried it would be recognised, but will definitely use the site.

Thanks again.

TheConfusedOne Fri 19-Sep-08 08:06:52

Sweet Pae email me at nanny 475 at hotmail .com and I will send you a handbook template that I made up for mentees.

Sweetpeaherman Sun 21-Sep-08 10:55:20

Hi the confused one, sorry for late reply.

That would be amazing, and emailing you now. Thank you so much.

xx

TheConfusedOne Sun 21-Sep-08 11:08:28

Have returned your email, with template love

AbbaFan Sun 21-Sep-08 14:29:52

I would definitely get upto date with the EYFS stuff as I am sure that will be the thing they will be looking out for.

Make sure your attendance is upto date as well.

They also love to know what you are doing to promote equal opps and multicultaral things. So have some books / toys availble for them to see.

Sweetpeaherman Sun 21-Sep-08 15:41:10

Confused one, thank you so much for sending that, it is so helpful, I am so touched that you have gone to the trouble to send it. It's fantastic stuff. I can't believe that the person who wrote all that is remotely confused.

Will brush up on the EYFS as well.

Thanks again for your help.

xx

ShinyPinkShoes Sun 21-Sep-08 15:42:16

I have an Ofsted Inspection checkilist for childminders if you'd like a copy?

MaureenMLove Sun 21-Sep-08 15:52:28

hmm I just searched NCMA on Ebay and there are people on there actually advertising as a CM. Pictures of their mindees too. Is that right, do you think? Surely not? Anyway, none of my business.

Good luck with your inspection Sweet. The only advice I can give you, is that your inspector is a person too, probably with her own kids, and you shouldn't get nervous about it! She's only there to make sure you are doing the right things and will guide you in the right direction if not. She won't close you down for a bit of missing paperwork.

Sweetpeaherman Sun 21-Sep-08 18:19:45

Ohhhhhh inspection checklist would be fabulous thank you. My e-mail address is sgeorghiou at hotmail.co.uk if you could send it to me would be really grateful.

Bit weird to advertise on Ebay, surely not many people can look on there for a childminder, don't think that they should be putting photos on their either.

I do feel a bit calmer, have had some great help on here, and from what I gather you have to be pretty rubbish to be closed down, think that unless you are a nightmare they at least give you a change to rectify things.

Just have to work out where to get a drain cover for the garden, apparently I need one of those!

Thanks for the continued help, you've been great.

TheConfusedOne Sun 21-Sep-08 19:33:12

SPH, I didn't write it all some are from the bromley site, some I have written over the years. {grin]

Did take me some time to collate it all tho grin

navyeyelasH Sun 21-Sep-08 20:12:18

Can I also grab that checklist pretty please imhayley@gmail.com thanks ever so much x

Also [mini hijack] does anyone know where you can get those postes you have to display where it tells parents how to complain to Ofsted etc? Also what other posters do you have to have up; anyone know?

Thanks IA xx

ShinyPinkShoes Sun 21-Sep-08 23:26:14

You both have mail

Sweetpeaherman Mon 22-Sep-08 09:30:27

Thank you for checklist, looks great, will work my way through it tonight. Thank you very much. At least if there are things on there that I haven't done I can tell inspectors that they are in progress, apparently that is much better than just not being aware.

Poster comes with the EYFS pack I think.

Thanks again for all your help.

changingsoon Mon 22-Sep-08 13:05:39

could i have the checklist too please. been told this morning that they are in the area,omg.email j.johnson699@btinternet.com. thanks

happyfaceschildcare Mon 22-Sep-08 15:03:54

Ooo checklist too please if you don't mind sharon_lucas@hotmail.co.uk my inspection is next week some time - I use a great site for all the equal opportunity bits and bobs that ofsted want to see www.equaloppshop.co.uk fantastic - good luck x

changingsoon Mon 22-Sep-08 18:43:05

major major panik now. cant find online self evaluation form and cant find poster to download with ofsted numbers on.....i want to run away, its all tooooooooooooo much.

ShinyPinkShoes Mon 22-Sep-08 19:13:38

Okay don't panic I am sure I have it saved to me favourites

Give me a few minutes to get off the phone and I'll post you some links.

ShinyPinkShoes Mon 22-Sep-08 19:23:15

Have emailed you everything you need.

Sweetpeaherman Mon 22-Sep-08 21:14:46

It is quite stressful isn't it, all this ofsted business. I've only been doing it for a couple of months and the looking after the children bit is going really well, but there does seem to be so much paperwork. Most of the people I know who do it have their own kids as well, so it's not like we can do a bit of paperwork when the mindees go home, I have to look after my little one and dh as well.

I'll have to keep up with it all as well as if they come in another 3 years, they'll want to see all of the records up to then.

Moan over, I had better go and get on with it now.

changingsoon Mon 22-Sep-08 21:58:52

thank you so much sps. am feeling a little (only a little) bit calmer.

JenniPenni Tue 23-Sep-08 08:28:23

I had my first grading inspection in July and got a fab result I am happy to say!!! BUT they are VERY pedantic about your paperwork - you have to ensure all permission slips are available and signed... attendance is complete, policies and risk assessments are available for her/him to read etc. With EYFS you need the extra obs, planning etc. too of course.

Besides an average working day of 10/11 hours, to have this paperwork on top of it does make the day an extra long one... (and we all do have lives besides childminding1) BUT I would not go back to the desk job I once had - even tho it was a creative one. Working with the kids is so rewarding and fulfilling

changingsoon Tue 23-Sep-08 13:58:10

should i put my risk assesment on the wall?

Sweetpeaherman Tue 23-Sep-08 17:00:20

Oh my god, you have really scared me now.

I have been round my home with a list of things that could be dangerous and checked that everything is OK, but don't have anything formal that I can put on the wall.

Also can't find drain cover, apparently I have a weird shaped drain and my shed door has fallen off.

Do you think I will be shot or just maimed?

Can they stop me minding for these terrible crimes? If so I will have to turn to a life of crime with my 20 month old in tow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now