Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How long does becoming a childminder take?

(5 Posts)
Stars22 Thu 18-Sep-08 19:09:28

Say you were starting from scratch, all the paper work, getting your house cleared etc. How long does it roughly take to become a childminder. I have no idea if you would be talking 6 weeks or 6 months.

Also what qualifications to have to have?

beautifuldays Thu 18-Sep-08 19:11:16

about 6 months ish

beautifuldays Thu 18-Sep-08 19:12:27

you need to be registered with ofsted, you need to do a CACHE course in childminding and you need an early years first aid certificate, oh and an enhanced disclosure.
HTH

Stars22 Thu 18-Sep-08 19:26:16

When you talk about a CACHE course in childminding is it the kind of full time course where you go to college or is it like a course that is spread out over evenings type thing. Also sorry what is an enhanced disclosure?
At the moment i have first aid, food hygiene, health and safety at work and an NNEB in childcare and Education.

Pipsical Thu 18-Sep-08 21:31:39

Hi
You need a paediatric first aid certificate, CACHE is normally done in the evenings..mine was a 12 week course 1 night.
Enhanced disclosure is a CRB - Its basically a back ground check on you and anyone else in your household over the age of 16.
It took 2 months for the Ofsted Paperwork to go through but was delayed on the CRB..ala in all took 6 months..then it took another 6 months to get some children!

Pips.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now