Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's - Do you have visitor problems???

(22 Posts)
AbbaFan Thu 18-Sep-08 18:33:52

My family just think it is fine to 'pop' in whenever they feel like it regardless of the time.

They know I am always cm'ing between 8-6pm. My dad popped round at 5pm today, just in time to watch me dish out the dinner to 4 kids, and right around the time 2 are getting picked up. arraggggghhhhh

I have made it quite clear that it's not convenient but they just don't get it. I said to my dad today 'it's not the best time for a visit as i have 4 mindee's here' and his response was 'oh, well you always have kids here' hmm

Anyone else feel my pain?

malovitt Thu 18-Sep-08 21:25:39

I don't let anyone in (friends and non-resident family) when I'm minding.

I didn't think you were allowed to.

AbbaFan Fri 19-Sep-08 09:20:35

You are allowed to - you just cant leave the mindees alone with any visitors. I know some other CM's who have visitors books.

I am just fed up with my family thinking they can just come round whenever they like. They don't understand that I am actually working.

KatyMac Fri 19-Sep-08 09:24:35

Make them sign the visitors book - you will soon find they re-consider their visits

SammyK Fri 19-Sep-08 09:44:57

I have just got a visitor book in operation.

When visitors do come during my 'business hours' I make it as unpleasant for them as possible. I do not make hot drinks, I change stinky nappies, let mindees have my attention rather than the grown up - business as usual really. grin I then make a point of saying as they leave 'oh we must arrange something when I am not working'. Mwa ha ha! wink

As time has gone by they have all got the message....

cleverchick Fri 19-Sep-08 12:55:16

I told all my friends and relatives that i now work from home and asked them nicely not to visit me during my working hours though they vary sometimes. I have told them they have to call me first to see if i am working. they still dont get it, had my brother in law's family by the door one day and I did not let them in. It sounds rude but its time they take our job serious. How wd a parent feel piking up their child and yo house is full and even a stranger to them.

BoysArrrrLikeDogs Fri 19-Sep-08 12:59:02

Abba, it's all about being firm.

Takes time for the penny to drop, but you will get through to family eventually.

JenniPenni Sun 21-Sep-08 23:52:17

I have a visitors book and everyone, including my own sister, has to sign it when she visits. They are visitors when they visit during working hours.

happyfaceschildcare Mon 22-Sep-08 15:14:42

Hi all, sorry to take over the message board here but was wondering where do you get your visitors books from ? do you get people such as the gas man to sign in as he has to come into the house ? got my inspection next week wanna be prepared !

JenniPenni Mon 22-Sep-08 15:21:25

I have a Visitors Form... Name, Why visiting, Time in Time out, Date. I just did it myself - simple.

Gas man definately signs it... even if he is here for 2 minutes only OFSTED inspector signs it too! ;)

SammyK Mon 22-Sep-08 17:33:40

I just did a table on word as JenniPenni described, I keep it on a clipboard with my mindees attendance sheets. smile

vInTaGeVioLeT Mon 22-Sep-08 22:45:04

i don't encourage visitors while i'm working - i just crack on with my job - people normally want a bit of attention and soon get the message - MIL was the worst she'd try and "help" - aaaaarrrrrgggggggggghh

spottedandstriped Sat 04-Oct-08 20:24:08

I have to say as a parent - I am quite uneasy with the thought that adults who I don't know going in and out of a cm's home when she is looking after her mindees.

JenniPenni Sun 05-Oct-08 00:36:15

I agree spottedandstriped - hence me seldom having visitors, the only one is my sister really, but she has two kids that come too, so it's more a playdate anyway. I have friends and their kids come now and again too, there again it's a playdate, not an adult visiting on their own. The only adult I have ever had visit on their own was the gas man (who stayed for 2 mins) and the OFSTED inspector ;)

Hubby of course sometimes comes home when I still have kids but that's different - CRB checked etc. plus he aint a visitor I think it's NB I write who visited in the daily diary, and have the visitors book as backup. All my parents know my sister well.

It's also NB as a cm that the vistor is never left on their own with the kids... we cms have to ensure this at all times.

As a parent/cm I wouldn't want people visiting every day... we have far too much to do already.

Simplyme Sun 05-Oct-08 22:11:51

Lol from reading the title of this thread I assumed you meant visitors as in head lice!!! wink

ActiveC Mon 06-Oct-08 00:44:17

I only allow my CRB checked friends over, dyring childminding hours

SammyK Mon 06-Oct-08 09:50:04

spottedandstriped all cms should have a visitors policy and visitors book now. Visitors are recorded, and are never left alone with minded children.

I have just looked at my visitors for september, I had two visits - both were my CRB checked college tutor! No one else - everyone must have the message! grin

HarrietTheSpy Mon 06-Oct-08 15:51:49

Can you use OFSTED as an excuse - that you're not really supposed to have 'social callers' around during working hours and could be brought up on it? This is your livelihood they're being so cavalier about. How might a parent react to that? Can you pretend you have a really paranoid one?

aGalChangedHerName Mon 06-Oct-08 15:59:54

I don't encourage visitors during working hours but my parents do come to visit my dd's who are both pre school age.

If they didn't come during the week my dd's wouldn't see them for weeks at a time.

I tend to just get on with "work" and the dd's do stuff with my mum and dad.

My mindees have been known to call my mum nana mind you.

bigdonna Fri 10-Oct-08 20:05:05

i dont get many visitors but my in laws come around at tea time all my mindees (2) get very excited they call them nanny and grandad.my mindees have no extended family so they feel part of mine,but i get on with tea still.My in laws even bring xmas pressies for them.

Bloodandchatkins Fri 10-Oct-08 20:18:48

I only generally have other cm friends, or my mum or sister very rarely, as they prefer to come if I have a day off ! The trouble I have is my fil comes for tea every friday,
(an annnoying tradition and I have no idea how it started !!), so I put in my visitors book, and parents are aware, I even tell new parents the hours he is here, and usually there is only a crossover of about an hour before last mindee goes home.

You do feel awkaward though - they all really like him and want to chat to him and show him toys, which is all fine, but I do worry how it can look and no, I wouldn't like it if i were the parent.

Keep thinking I should suggest he comes later but worried how he'll take it, like we think he's some sort of threat !

lisad123 Fri 10-Oct-08 20:34:40

really, wow i see my CM fried quite often, we walk to school together and once a week me and dds go and play. I am CRB check though wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now