Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

behaviour help!

(8 Posts)
botherednanny Thu 18-Sep-08 16:29:32

The little girl I look after has changed from quite a sweet natured thing into a little horror. She'll be 3 next month and she has absolutely no concept of being told 'no' she will whine, cry, scream for mummy/daddy if she doesn't get her own way. I have tried everything, ignoring her, naughty step, overly praising good behaviour, taking away treats, star charts etc NOTHING WORKS. Never in my 8 years as a nanny has a toddlers behaviour troubled me so much sad I also don't feel the parents support me too..

MeanBeans Thu 18-Sep-08 16:37:12

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you have a difficult family to work with.

I know it's none of my business but I wouldn't write what you wrote here if I were you. Mumsnet is so well known that there is a good chance that your boss/their friend/relative is reading this. And there is nothing like the fury of a parent whose children are criticised in public. I believe there are closed forums for nannies around, which might be more useful for you?

botherednanny Thu 18-Sep-08 17:00:25

I am asking on here for parents views as well! I'm in no way slagging them off nor how they raise their child. All I meant is I don't feel they support me when I take treats away etc that sort of thing. Tbh, a parental view is really what I'm after as being nanny, I'm clearly not coping in the way I have before. I love the child to pieces, I just cannot take the behaviour anymore! When she is being good, she's a real diamond but recently... Well my first post explains it.

Pipsical Thu 18-Sep-08 17:36:30

Hey..

My heart goes out to you...I'm a childminder and I have also had behaviour like that...She will grow out of it..what activites do you do? - Are they challenging enough?
Maybe instead of saying "NO" you could say " I dont really like that, or why dont we do this.."
My dd still doesnt like it when i say no to he (She's 4) but if i use an alternative word/phrase it generally works..plus i find she will then ask me quetions about why i dont like it..by the time she's remembered what i was saying no to in the first place she's no longer bothered.

I hope this helps..Keep you chin up!

Pips.x

Millarkie Thu 18-Sep-08 17:53:23

Have you tried the 'marbles in a jar ' method?

(And I know it's unlikely but because of my personal experience - do you think her hearing is ok - has it been checked? - my hearing impaired ds was an absolute terror at that age)

botherednanny Thu 18-Sep-08 18:00:06

Hi, thanks for your reply smile
I have tried to phrase things differently, explained why we're not going to do things but still nothing. To be fair to her, sometimes she does listen+we have a great time but its the times that she doesn't. I keep her as stimulated as is possible, I always have an activity to do etc+I'm always encouraging her to try/learn new things. I must admit, I wrote my first post close to tears after a full on tantrum... I'm not normally this weak I'd like to add!

botherednanny Thu 18-Sep-08 18:56:17

Millarkie - I assume you mean she puts a marble in the jar for every time she does what she's asked etc? I will certainly give it a shot, I've only just heard of it! blush
Also, funny you should mention about the hearing as that had crossed my mind but I make a a point of asking her to repeat back to me what I've said as she has a habit of saying 'huh?' in a really rude way. I myself had glue ear and have slight hearing loss, had to have gromits etc. I have 'cookie' hearing or something like that?!

Millarkie Thu 18-Sep-08 19:49:28

Do ask her parents if they can ask the health visitor to arrange a hearing check - poor hearing makes them frustrated and tired (and hence bad behaviour)..and at least you can rule it out.

The marble jar - (you could search mumsnet because it has been mentioned a lot) - from what I remember you start with 10 marbles in the jar..put a marble in for every good deed, take a marble out for extra-horrific behaviour. At end of week the number of marbles determines the prize (for older children can be 10p a marble, for a 3 year old I would guess an edible treat/sweets if she's allowed them)... recommend you search MN though - nothing worked with ds until he had grommets!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now