Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding v nannying...HELP

(17 Posts)
Pipsical Thu 18-Sep-08 12:13:59

Hello.

I am after a bit of advice..I am currently a childminder but am considering becoming a nanny.

Is there any plus's to becoming a nanny?

Where would i begin in order to become one?

Thanks P

AussieLou Thu 18-Sep-08 12:27:49

Hi Pipsical
I do not know what it is like to being a childminder but I enjoy nannying. I live in which is a completely differnt kettle of fish to living out.

I am a trained nanny which made things a little bit easier but if you have lots of experience then a qualification is not always necessary.

You need:
Current CRB
First Aid
References (childcare related)
Helps to have a license
The ability to travel and register and meet with agencies.

The pay can be quite good too and you can develop more of a relationship with the children then I imagine you can with childminding.

Nannying is one of those odd jobs where it can suck or be fabulous. You can get screwed around but also get some wonderful benefits.

Have a look at nannyjob.co.uk for more info
Hope this helps and best of luck.

Pipsical Thu 18-Sep-08 13:02:48

Thanks so much..I will have a look now. smile

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:15:19

Plus for being a nanny is saying goodbye to all that paperwork you have to do as a childminder.

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:17:18

You are also an employee so you get things like holiday pay and sick pay. And you will have your tax and ni paid by your employer, so no more accounts and tax returns.

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:18:20

You get your house back! No more stair gates, toys all over the place and unidentifiable stains on your carpets grin

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:19:13

Your heating and food bills go down as you are not in your own house all day.

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:20:18

Can you tell I was a childminder and am now a nanny (having been one before I was a childminder too) smile

nannynick Thu 18-Sep-08 13:31:00

A negative is that you have to do as your employer tells you, whereas being a childminder you dictate the terms.

Not all parents who want a nanny will consider one who brings their own children.

The working day may be longer, or it could be shorter... depends on the job.

imananny Thu 18-Sep-08 15:14:06

yes the mum might tell you what she wants, but gen most mb's are happy for nanny to do as they want, as long as child is safe, happy and well cared and loved

a happy nanny = happy baby = happy mummy

why are you thinking of changing pipsical?

Pipsical Thu 18-Sep-08 17:15:59

Thank you all for your responses!! - I have a dd of my own but she is in full time school...My reason for becoming a nanny would be so I got my house back, also with the new EYFS I feel being a nanny would give me a chance to actually be with the children doing kiddy things rather than obs.. and paperwork!
If that makes sense...I'm still only thinking about it so am in the early stages..Do you advertise as a nanny like you would a childminder?
(Is that a silly question?!)hmm

imananny Thu 18-Sep-08 17:57:58

must admit cms have a hell of a lot of paperwork to fill in

you can place your own advert on nannyjob, gumtree,socialcare and netmums - all free

also look at other peoples adverts

and try local agencies to you as well

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 18:01:21

I registered with 2 agencies, but actually got my current job from an ad on mumsnet.

nbee84 Thu 18-Sep-08 18:02:08

That should have said netmums

Pipsical Thu 18-Sep-08 18:29:21

Ok....Thanks I will definatley give it extra thought!

Thanks so much for your replies.

Pips.x

nannynick Thu 18-Sep-08 22:58:25

I would advise against stopping childminding before getting a nanny job. There are less jobs around, more people going for them, so getting a job may not be easy.

imananny Fri 19-Sep-08 14:47:52

agree with nick - then again no should hand in their notice before finding a job (in the ideal world)

have a look around, and assume in your contract with the children you cm, it prob says a months notice, and most employers to nannies reliese that nannies normally need to hand in 4/8 weeksnotice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now