Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

HELP! EYFS course cancelled, now what do I do??

(11 Posts)
dragonfly42 Thu 18-Sep-08 11:58:09

I have applied for several courses earlier on this year and not been able to get a place, now I finally had a place for a course on Saturday and its been canelled due to lack of applicants!! so has everyone in my area done the course or have they all given up and are not chidminding now!! anyway I have been researching online and looking on your forum to see how everyone else is organising their assessments, observations, planning etc but Im just wondering if anyone knows of an online course that I can do to help with this as Im confused as to how often we need to be doing observations and assessments etc?

LunaFairy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:05:22

Have you contacted your local Early Years department or college? Where I'm located they have been running EYFS courses and still rolling training out.

mumlove Thu 18-Sep-08 12:07:01

I got told that we only have to do observations 1 a month on each child.
But also add in extra photos and drawings, craft etc that you can get and write a short note on what areas of eyfs the child has covered and put it with it.

dragonfly42 Thu 18-Sep-08 12:13:02

oh right I will check out my local college and see what they offer thanx.
well i was going to do a scrapbook type diary with photos in and written observations, for each child and also put in about what Early learning goals they have reached and when. Once a month is what most people seem to be doing so I will do that too, thanx.
What about planning, how long are we meant to write each plan up for? Is that monthly, yearly? If so how the hell do u write up a plan for a year? Things change all the time, and I cant see how u can plan for that long, I just go along week by week and have a rough idea of what I will be doing with the children.

LunaFairy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:42:47

I have a rather relaxed plan. I have planned for the next 6 months with a theme per month and 1 or 2 activites per wk on that theme. I have this in a folder alongside my written activites. I was also told 1 observation per month. You can do as many as you like! The course I attended didn't really touch on planning. I have found the BCMA (Brromley Childminding Assoc) very supportive on the EYFS with lots of prints out and templates to help you plan and observe.

LunaFairy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:44:23

sorry the BCMA is a website.. I forgot to tell you that grin

dragonfly42 Thu 18-Sep-08 12:53:27

oh thanx for your help, I am panicking a bit and need some kind of plan written up soon and assessments as I havent done any yet!. I will try the site you mentioned!

mumlove Thu 18-Sep-08 12:54:58

We were told that the planning is about each child as an indvidual not a group/whole one. So EG once a child has started to crawl planning the next stage is doing things to help them stand and walk.

dragonfly42 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:00:49

seems like a great site but i cant seem to download any of the forms as they are all scrambled when i open the file!

LunaFairy Thu 18-Sep-08 14:35:51

Not sure why that is. I've never had a problem with the site before. Sorry I can't be of any help with that problem.

SillyMillysMummy Thu 18-Sep-08 18:06:27

dragonfly, are you on vista? I had a problem and had to right click on the file and save it onto desktop before i could open

hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now