Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If your nanny got a parking ticket

(53 Posts)
snickersnack Wed 17-Sep-08 16:53:28

Just out of interest, if your nanny gets a parking ticket in your car while she’s in charge of the children, do you pay? Or would you expect her to? She’s just left me a message to say that she got a ticket this morning while dropping off at a playdate and to apologise. Which makes me think she assumes I’ll pay. Which I probably will, as it’s the first time, but don’t want it to become a habit…is it just a cost of having a nanny that I hadn't budgeted for?

georgimama Wed 17-Sep-08 16:57:24

I don't have a nanny but I don't see why you should pay, presumably she igmored some parking restriction or another and it was her fault. If I had a company car and parked on a yellow/overstayed in a car park and got a ticket I wouldn't expect them to fork out, even if on company business.

It may be more diplomatic to tell her that you will pay for this ticket but that you will not pay for any others, otherwise she may think she can just park willy nilly because you will stump up, which is not on.

nannynick Wed 17-Sep-08 17:29:46

Can't see how you could be responsible in any way for your nanny getting a parking ticket, thus why should you pay?
If you told them to park in a particular place, knowing full well that by doing so it would be in breach of parking regulations, then I feel you share the blame... but I would expect that isn't the situation here. Your nanny choose to park their (or your) car in an unsuitable place and thus I feel it is the nanny who should pay the fine.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 17-Sep-08 17:30:57

Your nanny should definitely pay.

justabouthadcurry Wed 17-Sep-08 17:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RandomFlopsy Wed 17-Sep-08 17:36:58

She should pay.

You wouldn't pay a speeding fine for her would you?

Her error, she pays.

However, you might want to pay it this time for the sake of good employee relations on the understanding that if it happens again it's her responsibility to pay.

unknownrebelbang Wed 17-Sep-08 17:39:44

I don't have a nanny, but if I got a parking ticket whilst at work, I don't think my boss would pay for it.

I would expect the nanny to pay.

mollymawk Wed 17-Sep-08 17:45:36

My nanny had a parking ticket once and I paid - not because she asked me or expected me to though, it was just to be helpful/good employee relations/because she is so nice etc. And I am sure it was a one-off for her. So I don't think your nanny would be right to assume you should pay.

lindseyfox Wed 17-Sep-08 18:24:55

she should pay i work as a community nurse and we have to pay for them ourselves

AtheneNoctua Wed 17-Sep-08 18:27:48

Unless you specifically instructed her to park illegally and said you would assume full responsibility before she parked there then I would say it was her bad choice and her ticket.

I think you are right though that she thinks you are going to pay it.

I might offer to pay half for the sake of good relations this time only. I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it.

squeaver Wed 17-Sep-08 18:29:34

This happened to my nanny and she paid without even a word of discussion (tbh I think I would have paid).

imananny Wed 17-Sep-08 18:31:06

agree with all the others

nanny should pay - i have had a few parking tickets (not all my fault, 2 were fault of ticket blowing over/falling off dashboard, but I complained and didnt have to pay)

Tho in an ex ex ex job, there was no parking AT ALL by school, and parents would take a chnace and every now and again traffic warden came and ticketed everyone, and then my employers did pay

but as a general rule - no

phraedd Wed 17-Sep-08 18:32:45

i got a ticket once as i couldn't get onto my employers driveway as their cars were in the way and forgot about parking restrictions.

I still paid.

My ticket therefore I paid. Very simple.

MinkyBorage Wed 17-Sep-08 18:32:58

I'd tell her that under no circumstances do you believe it is your responsibility to pay and that you definitely won't be paying for any parking tickets/speeding fines in the future, but since it is the first time, and it is something you hadn't discussed before, you will pay it this time only.
It sounds like she expects you to, and it might not be worth the trouble of upsetting her so soon in to your relationship iykwim

Saturn74 Wed 17-Sep-08 18:35:14

I'd expect an adult to take responsibility for their own behaviour, and expect them to pay the fine.

Podrick Wed 17-Sep-08 18:36:34

Find out the circumstances - did she deliberately take a risk or was this an innocent error?

If an innocent error then I think the employer should pay with the proviso that you don't expect to pay for anymore.

If she was chancing it then offer her 50% and say you won't pay future tickets.

imananny Wed 17-Sep-08 18:39:54

phraedd - in your case, i would have expected the parents to pay, you expect to be able to park your car at your work as a nanny, and sounds like the parents didnt park their cars properly or if no parking for employers to sort out parking permits (as my friends one does) to allow to park on road

lou031205 Wed 17-Sep-08 18:40:37

No - she should pay. She should have parked correctly.

Podrick Wed 17-Sep-08 18:51:32

My dd (9)says that whether you contribute towards paying the fine depends on what sort of person you are.

"If you don't have enough money yourself to chip in then fair enough, but if you do then just contribute - it will make a big difference"

wink

stitch Wed 17-Sep-08 18:53:13

if she is in charge of th ecar, then she has passed her driving test, knows the highway code etc etc etc.
she should pay it.

nannyL Wed 17-Sep-08 20:12:23

i have to do the school run

parking is impossible and its rare that i park legally...

have been doing school run for a yyear and not got a ticket ... yet

when i do i will not be paying for it.... it is NOT my choice to do the school run

lou031205 Wed 17-Sep-08 20:15:53

But nannyL, you do have a choice. You could leave early so that you secure a legal spot, or park further away and walk in to the school.

You can't expect your employers to pay because you broke the law.

nannyL Wed 17-Sep-08 20:20:37

i can... and i do... and they agree

my school run takes me 2 - 3 hours per day... im normally there 20mins early anyway

the few parking spaces are shared with the universirty libraray so leaving early does not make spaces

nannyL Wed 17-Sep-08 20:21:22

leaving earlier in the morning isnot an opion hen i leave at 7.45am either

imananny Wed 17-Sep-08 20:25:28

sounds like my ex charges school nannyl

you dont mean to get a ticket, but as there are double yellow lines all round the schools roads then nothing you can do

now if they chnaged the law and you could park there for 20mins 8.45 - 9, 11.45-12 and 3 - 3.15 etc, then life would have been much easier

traffic wardens stalk those roads - the buggers!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now