Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

non paying parents

(12 Posts)
happyfaceschildcare Wed 17-Sep-08 11:00:57

I have 2 sisters in my care one is 1 and one is 3 I have given the parents a good deal with a reduced rate for the older sibling and they are receiving 80% towards their childcare from the tax credits but this is the 3rd week of having them and they just keep making excuses not to pay me, I'm promised certain amounts on certain days and they don't bring it and if they do turn up with the money it's never the amount they promise I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they'll come up with the money but it's not looking good ! should I report them to the tax credit office as they are not paying me the money they are recieving from them each week or should I be more patient ?

AbbaFan Wed 17-Sep-08 11:09:32

I would make them pay in advance for the future. Maybe you could put a policy / prodedure in place for late fees.

AbbaFan Wed 17-Sep-08 11:13:22


happyfaceschildcare Wed 17-Sep-08 11:27:33

Hi thanks for the post ! I think I'm just a pushover as I asked for payment in advance and I have the signed contract and have a policy for late fees etc but cos the womans mum died felt bad to hassle them for money she kept promising and promising to bring it and here we are 3 weeks on I know I should stop having the kids but just keep thinking today might be the day she turns up with the money but it's not going to happen is it have never had this problem before have been minding for 4 years think I'll have to contact the ncma.

amandagirrafe123 Wed 17-Sep-08 11:39:29

This happened to me also about two years ago.
I was a member of the ncma and they where really helpful as long is you have an uptodate register and signed contracts a claim can be made. It is hard when to go down this route especially if you have two or more family members not paying. Put in writing what you propose to do, have her sign a receipt this may tell her you are serious. If not then the only route would be ncma claims solicitors which are free to use with membership.
In the future DO NOT except children when parents havent paid, I shall not make that mistake again. Parent turned it around on me saying I had overcharged her thankfully I had all of the paperwork in order.
I hope this helps

changingsoon Wed 17-Sep-08 12:21:05

i would let her know that you will no longer provide care until she has paid you up to date and in advance for the next week.

maggi Thu 18-Sep-08 00:11:54

I too am a bit of a push over and have let parents owe me loads. They make efforts to pay and I can see they are hard pressed which like a death in the family makes me feel guilty for asking for money. The trouble is my setting is like an extended family for the children and I find it hard to raise monetary issues. So full sympathy to you.

1dilemma Thu 18-Sep-08 00:22:45

I had some comments on this recently.
I do some work with a nursery and we have had a LOT of parents not pay us and clearly they never had any intention of paying. Tax credits were totally uninterested when we phoned to tell them (I didn't phone but the manager did was hoping she could get tax credits to pay us directly instead)

KSquiff Fri 19-Sep-08 10:47:55

I also have been a push over, but NEVER again. My policy is now "No payment - NO Care" having been through this within the last 6 weeks.

I had non paying parents promising me countless times "I'll bring the money with me tomorrow" again getting 80% through WTC. Mum constantly saying she forgot to go to the bank but collecting mindee with next, topshop bags etc. in her hands and having her nail done weekly - but I never got my money. After 3 weeks she didn't call, she refused to answer any attempts at my contacting her.

She still owes me over 1K but have never seen a penny but I did report her to the tax office as she was blatantly spending my money.

Sorry to be a downer but I hate the thought of anyone being taken for a ride the way I was.

Hope it all works out for you.

BoysArrrrLikeDogs Fri 19-Sep-08 10:50:46

Yes, seems harsh for the children's sake but you are not a charity, you are a Strong Confident Business woman.

So :

No payment, No care.

Good luck.

happyfaceschildcare Fri 19-Sep-08 14:18:37

Thank you all I know you are right and that I can't let them take advantage, it is her payday on Tuesday and I have been promised that I will get my money bringing me to one week in advance on this date and I have advised her that if I don't get it I will not be able to care for them until full payment is recieved and if this doesn't happen by the end of the month I will re-advertise their vacancies, I probably shouldn't be having them now without payment still but I don't want to jepodise things just incase she does turn up with the payment on Tuesday so this is her last chance !!!

JenniPenni Sun 21-Sep-08 23:49:39

Hi, sorry to tell you this but if you refuse care, the parents can turn around and sue you for lossof earnings (theirs, due to you not caring for their kids!).. sounds crazy but is true!

I am a childminder myself and looked into it. The only thing you can do is give them notice, but you still have to care for them till the notice period ends. There's not much help for us childminders I am afraid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now