Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

old aupair wants to move back as paying guest/lodger - how much to charge?

(8 Posts)
tonton Tue 16-Sep-08 15:00:43

We love her dearly - she was our best ever. She is between homes and just needs somewhere affordable to stay for a few months.

How much should I charge?
We live in London, zone 3, she'd have her own nice double room and share a bathroom.

She'd probably babysit one night a week and help out a bit when she could - although she's pretty busy.

£50 a week? £100? I really have no idea what would be fair.

If I should have posted this elsewhere do tell me! grin

HarrietTheSpy Tue 16-Sep-08 18:12:32

Could you give a couple of estate agents a ring and ask? If it's sharing a bathroom I think £100 a week is a bit steep.

FourArms Tue 16-Sep-08 19:57:09

Have a look on gumtree to see what the going rate in your area is.

googgly Tue 16-Sep-08 20:12:29

I used to pay 90 pw for double room but shared bathroom in Maida Vale (zone 2) 10 years ago. I'd say 100 would be OK, maybe less if she'll babysit for you too.

bellabelly Tue 16-Sep-08 20:13:58

Why don't you ask her what sort of rent she was thinking of?

littlestarschildminding Tue 16-Sep-08 21:42:30

A friend of mine in W4 (zone 3) pays £90 for a double room in a shared house. I would go around the £50 mark if she is going to be babysitting etc for you.

lindseyfox Wed 17-Sep-08 19:12:51

I would say £50-£70 if she is going to babysit for you, babysitters can cost from £7-£10 an hr in london so if you went out for an eve a week for 4-6 hrs at a time thats around £40 you have saved your self.

Julesnobrain Wed 17-Sep-08 19:38:42

Hi If its a double room in Zone 3 you could let it out for £100 pw but if she's going to babysit one night a week plus lend the occassional helping hand, £55 - £65 pw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now