Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New baby wont settle

(3 Posts)
hellybell Tue 16-Sep-08 11:32:33

New baby with me for second week. Only have him one day a week and he just refuses to sleep. Mum said he loves his own cot and that I will have problems. He is 7 months old - how will he ever settle one day a week...? I feel sorry for the child and not too sure what to do ??

coolj Tue 16-Sep-08 11:42:08

I have a child who I have minded since he was 7 months old. His mum always rocked him to sleep and I discussed with her that it would not always be practical for me to do that. We agreed that we would put him in his pram to sleep as that was familiar to him. He used to come 2 mornings a week to settle in. He did cry for a little while for the first couple of times but after a few sessions and getting into a new routine he went to sleep without any problems. Just persevere as it is all new to him too. I find that strict routines are essential for the little ones.

Good luck with it all. grin

IWishIWasMaryPoppins Tue 16-Sep-08 11:45:58

Stick to the same routine every time he comes to you. In particular, feed him lunch before he gets hungry and crabby, then lay him down in him down in his/a pram and take him for a long walk until he falls asleep. Eventually (ie in a couple of months) he will be old enough to be able to settle easier.

This is only his second day with you. In time he will feel more comfortable with you, but for now you are a stranger, with strange smells, and he misses his parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now