Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM - How do you pay?

(20 Posts)
prettygirls Tue 16-Sep-08 11:12:39

Is it more common to pay a childminder a month in arrears or to pay in advance? I pay a different amount each month so currently pay in arrears. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

hana Tue 16-Sep-08 11:13:53

I pay in advance which I think is really quite odd as most jobs are paid in arrears.

mogs0 Tue 16-Sep-08 11:21:34

I used to charge in advance. I was advised to do so by NCMA.

elkiedee Tue 16-Sep-08 11:23:50

I pay weekly, a week in advance. My understanding is that some form of "in advance" payment would be most common.

colacubes Tue 16-Sep-08 11:34:27

I pay at the end of each week, cash, if cheques she wants it in advance.

KatyMac Tue 16-Sep-08 11:35:34

A month in advance

Often because Parents disappear owing money ans we have no way to claim it back - it's a really sad way of doing it, but having lost the moeny I have over the years it seems essential

Chaotica Tue 16-Sep-08 11:36:53

Cash in advance every week (although she's fine about us being a bit late - after all she has the DCs as collateral). From what I've heard, advance payments are most common as a surprising number of people fail to pay.

hana Tue 16-Sep-08 11:39:33

I do think that all parents are tarred with the same brush so to speak. my cm even charges 'travel time' when she goes to pick up dd from preschool . travel time? who else gets paid to travel to work?

KatyMac Tue 16-Sep-08 11:41:43

She works from home - she travels to get your dd

hana Tue 16-Sep-08 11:42:32

ahh I still don't get it
and the whole issues of paid holidays
but will leave thread

prettygirls Tue 16-Sep-08 11:45:12

Thanks all. We had agreed to pay in arrears but it now seems to be causing some problems so i have offered to pay in advance. Hopefully that will sort out the issues

changingsoon Tue 16-Sep-08 13:32:31

paid in advance into bank direct

TheConfusedOne Tue 16-Sep-08 17:25:21

Always charge a month in advance, and insist on Vouchers being held back for a month so that you pay the next month with this months IYKWIM as I wasn't receiving voucher money till middle of the month.

I had been caught out to many times, not being paid, and when you think it can be over £600.00 for a full time child, that is a lot of money to lose.

JenniPenni Mon 22-Sep-08 00:59:49

I get paid in advance. I get most payments via childcare vouchers, so these are usually a week or two late anyway. I do not hold a deposit.

I think paying in advance is the safest way for the childminder to be paid, as there are many parents that up and go unfortunately, and places like the NCMA won't even consider looking at a case that's any less than £150.00.

SammyK Mon 22-Sep-08 09:25:59

I charge in advance, weekly.

I recently changed to this for new clients as I was ripped off by two parents angry

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Mon 22-Sep-08 19:16:13

Some pay in advance and others in arrears ( tax credits people basically). I'd love it if everyone was monthly in advance but appreciate that not everyone has that to hand immediately, so will take it weekly in advance if asked.

HATE doing monthly in arrears ( do it with only 1 mindee) as it's a huge whack of money to potentially lose.

southernbelle77 Mon 22-Sep-08 19:53:09

I ALWAYS get paid in advance. I am not risking not being paid for my services and all parents understand this and have never had a problem.

vInTaGeVioLeT Mon 22-Sep-08 22:41:12

recently changed my contracts to weekly in advance {cash} - i can't afford to not get my money and as KatyMac said it's very difficult to get it if parent's do a "midnight flit"

kittycats Tue 23-Sep-08 14:40:39

hana 'travel time' my solicitor charged me for travelling to court and opening/reading letters!

sleepychunky Tue 23-Sep-08 15:01:20

I pay my lovely CM monthly in arrears. She asked to do it that way, and I pay her by cheque the same day I receive her invoice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now