Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

private childcarers

(7 Posts)
dotty8 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:15:10

Help - can I have some suggestions what to pay a friend who might childmind my baby when I go back to work? She has 2 pre school children of her own. Thank you.

LittleMyDancing Mon 15-Sep-08 15:16:32

Is she a registered childminder? It's illegal for anyone to look after children for reward (whether financial or in kind) unless they're registered with OFSTED.

dotty8 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:18:31

She will be registered by the time I return to work. Problem is she can only look after one baby as she has 2 children of her own.

LittleMyDancing Mon 15-Sep-08 15:20:16

ah, I see. Rates vary quite a lot, depending on where you are and what is included. I think ours used to charge £5 an hour, half pay for holidays (whether hers or ours), but she included everything in that except nappies - food and trips out etc.

TheConfusedOne Mon 15-Sep-08 15:39:15

It is usually up to the CM, to decide rates, and not the client, the CIS list will have a up to ate list of CM's for your area, some have their rates on it.

Although if she is registering just to have your LO then you may want to come to a mutual agreement.

is the list

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Mon 15-Sep-08 15:40:20

if she is registering, it is HER that will decide the fees to be paid, not you m'dear

navyeyelasH Mon 15-Sep-08 19:10:35

You could empoly her as a nanny where she and her children work in your home - this way I think she can look after as many children as she likes. But you will need to pay her NI and PAYE as well as employers NI contributions as you will be her employer. She doesn't need to register with ofsted either if she is a nanny - unless of course you will be using the tax incentives?

Disclaimer: I think, not 100% sure though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now