Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How long after a nanny interview is too long?

(12 Posts)
TheSunHasGotHisHatOn Mon 15-Sep-08 14:16:21

I went for an interview for a nanny job in the middle of August. The interview went well, we both agreed to go away and think things through and arranged to meet two weeks later. We met 2 weeks later and everything still seemed fine. I left the interview and was told that they'd be in touch to let me know exactly how many hours they needed and once they'd told me, I needed to let them know how much I wanted to be paid. It took nearly 2 weeks for them to let me know the exact hours, I emailed within 24 hours how much I wanted to be paid (on Thursday last week) and I've heard nothing since! The job starts in 2 weeks and I'm getting a bit stressed now!! I'm worried that the lack of communication could cause a problem if I do actually get/take the job.

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Mon 15-Sep-08 14:23:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSunHasGotHisHatOn Mon 15-Sep-08 14:34:14

Through both interviews they talked as though the job was mine (although, this could just be thinking out loud). There has been no official job offering but they'd told me the other nanny they interviewed was a definate no-no and afaik they weren't interviewing anyone else.

They put in writing what they wanted (which had been discussed at interview), I replied with what I wanted and now nothing!!

NewTeacher Mon 15-Sep-08 15:00:47

I dont need a nanny as the kids are at school until 5pm or at nursery until 6pm.

Her work is to help in the mornings and drop off to school and in the evenings with pick up and bath, feeding and bed.

We had an au pair before and it worked out very well so its not a case of it being our first time. The other au pair who did eat too much also had issues with looking after under 5's and smoking when she said she didnt thats why she left.

NewTeacher Mon 15-Sep-08 15:01:56

OOPs ignore that poated in wrong thread! doh!

fairibell Mon 15-Sep-08 15:02:55

Can you call them? leave a message along the lines of wanting to check they got your email and that you hadn't missed their reply (could say email been playing up??)... if can't call could email them same - or put in the email you will call tomorrow or something if you haven't heard from them?

navyeyelasH Mon 15-Sep-08 19:05:42

Call them and say you have another interview in a few days time lined up by an agency and you need to know whether you need to cancel the interview.

A big fat fib but they should have told you by now! I normally find out within 24 hours of meeting up.

imananny Mon 15-Sep-08 19:49:41

sounds to me that they may have chnaged their minds,or maybe they are just plain unorganised

I would keep looking till you hear back from them

TheSunHasGotHisHatOn Tue 16-Sep-08 09:34:37

I saw one of the parents this morning and said they were planning to discuss things on the weekend. So I said "oh, that's fine, so I'll hear from you next week?" Instead of saying "well, actually, I'd like to have a bit of notice before the job starts" but couldn't think of a way to say that without sounding sarcastic!

So I'm guessing that things are generally a bit disorganised there and I'm not the worlds most organised so match made in heaven or complete nightmare combination?!!

nannynick Tue 16-Sep-08 23:54:01

They sound rather disorganised, which doesn't bode well for when it comes to tax/ni, payslips etc.
On those thankfully rare occasions when I've been for a job interview, I've heard back within 24-48 hours.
I'm surprised you went for an interview when you didn't know what the salary would be. Even more surprised that you then didn't discuss salary at either 1st or 2nd meeting.
I wouldn't have even gone for an interview, without at least having a ballpark salary guide.

imananny Wed 17-Sep-08 13:22:59

maybe send them an email stating a few facts

ie what date you have in mind to start/salary

i am also suprosed that you didnt discuss salary before hand, without sounding rude or money grabbing, i find that out at the beginning as i need a certian amount to live off,pay my mortgage etc, so if the salary isnt enough then no point in me going to interview as just wastes everyones time

aussieinde Wed 17-Sep-08 13:30:55

I had an interview on the 7th August and still haven't heard back if the job is mine or not but have been in touch again a couple of times and know the reason they haven't made a decision yet is because their babies haven't been born yet and they will have a MN first. Still frustrating though!

I ask the salary question as my third question, no use wasting everyones time if they can't or won't offer what I need to survive.

Good luck, hope they get their act together soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now