Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: What should I do?

(9 Posts)
cactuslady Mon 15-Sep-08 10:16:15

I'm a fairly new childminder and think I might have messed up a bit.
A lady came to see me with her DS at the end of August about a place she would need mid-October.
She came back a few days later with her mother, sister and DH.
Said as she was leaving that she'd have a think and get back to me, although she seemed very keen.
10 days have now passed, and I've heard nothing.
I have been visited now by another mum who wants me to take her baby from this week.
Two things - I forgot to mention to the original mum about the possibility of someone else approaching me between now and October and the necessity of paying me a retainer if she was sure she wanted the space to keep it open. And I don't have her number as her calls show up as 'withheld.'

I don't want her to be relying on me and me then letting her down by taking on someone else.

Help! Is a gap of 10 days enough to assume that you're not wanted?

PinkChick Mon 15-Sep-08 10:20:33

Do not turn down this newer child, the other parents may come back in a few days/weeks and say they DO want you, but the lack of good comminication is not a good sign, so take on this other child and 'if' the other parent does come back you could just say you assumed she had not made her mind up/changed her mind?

You could ring her and ask? leting her know about retainer, but TBH if my child was due to start next month id have got my finger out a lot quicker!.

PinkChick Mon 15-Sep-08 10:21:29

reading back through..she said SHE would get back to you and hasnt..just take on the new baby.

Are they both babies?, could you not take on both if one is over 1 year?

cactuslady Mon 15-Sep-08 10:27:26

I can't ring her as her number has always been withheld.

I feel bad though because I feel I should have been the one to point out about the retainer business. If they had known about it, it may have made them make their minds up a bit quicker.

Both babies are under one so can't take both.

Oh dear. Other mum wants to know by today.

I'm going to write myself out a little script of important points to bring up with parents for the future!

PinkChick Mon 15-Sep-08 10:29:20

definatly take on the one who wants to start asap, dont dither, you have someone waiting to start and one you have no idea about, no brainer really, 'if' other parent ever does ring back, like i say just tell them you assumed they had decided against it and had no means to contact them to find out otherwise!..good luck chicksmile..hope it goes wellsmile

NumberFour Mon 15-Sep-08 10:55:35

I agree: take on the one who definitely wants you. If you wait for the first woman to come back to you, you could be waiting forever. She was supposed to get back to you and she has not done so, and the result is that she has lost the place. Not telling her about a retainer does not mean that you made a mistake. If she really wanted you, she should have done something about it sooner.

Remember that you are running a business (something I have to remind myself over and over again!)
Good luck!

LunaFairy Mon 15-Sep-08 11:50:53

Yes I agree take the newer child if offered.

I've learnt some lessons the hard way since becoming a cm. I now always take a phone number and have a sheet I fill out for every parent I may meet with - eg child DOB, hours needs etc. I also make sure I take a phone number and name for any parent that may phone me with work. Even if I can't take it on (I tell them this), things can change over night and I might be in need of that possible job!

Good Luck!

southernbelle77 Mon 15-Sep-08 12:42:23

Personally I would say 10 days is a very long time to have not called you back and I would most certainly take on the new child as you know they want the space.

Until the contracts are signed the space is available to whoever you want to give it to.

Scarfmaker Mon 15-Sep-08 14:05:53

Definitely take on the new enquiry - 10 days is way too long - 2-3 days would be enough for me if I hadn't heard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: