Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - do you ever let your mindees sit in the front?

(18 Posts)
WriggleJiggle Sat 13-Sep-08 22:44:22

Just feeling a little nervous about this, and wanted to know if this is usual.

Last week my CM put ds' car seat into the front passenger seat. Ds is 2yrs old. She also had a 3(ish?) yr old and a baby with her. I know her airbag does not switch off, but she justified it by explaining that so long as the seat was in its furthest back position.

Do ofsted give any guidence on it?

Hulababy Sat 13-Sep-08 22:46:06

I would not be happy with this at all.

Soapbox Sat 13-Sep-08 22:48:06

No way jose, would be my response to thisshock

No way on this earth would my 2 yo ever have gone in the front seat with an airbag!

What in gods name is she thinking ofangry

You need to tell her to stick her own child in the flipping front seat and keep your child safe!

mrswotzisnotin Sat 13-Sep-08 22:50:42

I think the DVLA give guidance
No Don't do it, the child is not high enough on a booster and the airbag can cause damage.

WriggleJiggle Sat 13-Sep-08 22:57:56

Thanks, was worried I was being too pfb. It has made me question the whole care issue. What else may be happening?

I know that does sound a little silly, and ds has really taken to her.

WriggleJiggle Sat 13-Sep-08 23:01:29

Whilst I'm asking questions, I'm about to ask if I can pay with vouchers. Is there any reason why that may cause a problem for her or are they pretty straight forward to use? She likes to be paid in cash, so just trying to preempt any potential difficulty.

mrswotzisnotin Sat 13-Sep-08 23:02:28

I have found this link but I can't make head nor tailof it
www.childcarseats.org.uk/law

If she has 3 in the car there are exceptions. TBH I wouldn't put my dds in the front until they were much older, but then I only have 2.

trouble18524 Sat 13-Sep-08 23:18:49

NO NO NO
If she cant switch off the airbag then there is no way the child should be placed in the front, no matter how far back the seat goes. It is ILLEGAL for children under 3yrs under any circumstances to be placed in the front seat where there is an airbag present. Babies of course can use rear facing seats in the front as long as the airbag is switched off.

I cant find my highway code book, but, there is something in there about children under 12?? and under a certain height, around 5ft?? , that it's not advisable to have them in the front,(i'm sure someone will come up with the correct details).

chloemegjess Sat 13-Sep-08 23:21:54

Really? I thought thet front facing seats were ok in the front with an air bag? I know the back is ideal but if there are no back seats avaliable?

mrswotzisnotin Sat 13-Sep-08 23:27:04

found some more on tis page

guidelines for children in cars fitted with airbags

"Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice. In this case, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat."

mrswotzisnotin Sat 13-Sep-08 23:27:56

Never put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is a passenger airbag.

Hulababy Sat 13-Sep-08 23:30:08

AFAIK it is not illegal. It is just not adviseable. And under no circumstances should a rear facing child seat be placed in a seat where there is an airbag active.

I perspnally wouldn't put a child in any car seat in the front seat if an airbag was present.

trouble18524 Sat 13-Sep-08 23:31:20

I dont think so, i'm sure there is somethng written somewhere about it (i'll look out my highway code tomorrow). Something to do with the force of the bag as it's released that can cause a great deal of damage to a young child.

Think ideally if you had no rear seats available then you could perhaps take the car to a garage and have the airbag deactivated. Thats what i'd check out anyway.

TheConfusedOne Sat 13-Sep-08 23:36:43

The car seat laws.

Cars seat Laws

The law requires children travelling in cars to use an appropriate child restraint or adult seat belt, if they are available. Children cannot be carried in the front seat unless they are either in a child restraint or are using the seat belt. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that children under the age of 14 years are either using an appropriate child restraint or an adult seat belt if available.
Cars - Children under 3 years old
If carried in the front seat, an appropriate child restraint MUST be used (the adult seat belt is not sufficient). Children under 3 years old may not travel in the front unless they are in a child restraint.
If carried in the rear seat, an appropriate child restraint MUST be used, IF AVAILABLE.
If an appropriate restraint is fitted in the front of the car, but not the rear, children under 3 years old MUST sit in the front and use that restraint. Remember, you could move the restraint from the front to the rear if you wish. Rearward-facing seats are designed to be used in the rear as well as the front. You should always put a rearward-facing baby seat in the rear if is a front passenger airbag fitted.
Cars - Children Aged 3 to 11 years and under 1.5 metres tall
If carried in the front seat, an appropriate child restraint MUST be worn IF AVAILABLE.
If not, an adult seat belt MUST be worn.
If carried in the rear seat, an appropriate child restraint MUST be worn IF AVAILABLE.
If not, an adult seat belt MUST be worn IF AVAILABLE.
If an appropriate restraint or seat belt is fitted in the front of the car, but not in the rear, children between 3 to 11 years old and under 1.5 metres tall MUST use that restraint or seat belt. (Remember, you could move the restraint from the front to the rear if you wish).
Cars - Children Aged 12 or 13 years or younger children 1.5 metres or more in height
If carried in the front or rear seat, an adult seat belt MUST be worn IF AVAILABLE.
Cars - Passengers Over 14 years old
If travelling in the front or rear seat, an adult seat belt MUST be worn IF AVAILABLE.

TheConfusedOne Sat 13-Sep-08 23:37:43

I have children in the front over the age of 5, but have no air bag in the passenger seat.

Lusi Sat 13-Sep-08 23:47:54

ermmmm...
I don't think it is ok for a CM to do it...possibly with your own child...
I put my DD1 in the front seat with an airbag when she was just over 2 yo...blush
I had to drive almost 300 miles on my own with her and she was going through her 'escaping her car seat' phase. I was worried that I'd be constantly checking her in the mirror rather than watching the road...
I spoke to a police safety officer about it. It is not illegal. They said children are always safer in the back of a car - even without an airbag. In my case it probably would be better to put her in the front - but with the passenger seat as far back as it would go. I got a basic non-reclining seat especially for the journey - so her body was only a few inches from the seat - more than 2 foot away from the airbag.

But it was my child ....my decision.

I know (with a 6'4" partner!) in my car if the passenger seat is as far back as possible it either pushes against a baby seat behind it or leaves no room for little legs. Neither of which seem particularly safe ...Therefore I wouldn't be convinced that the seat was actually as far back as possible...hmm

Lusi Sun 14-Sep-08 00:01:17

Trouble - Just seen 'get the airbag deactivated' - I did try that ....
I couldn't find a garage that would do it...all worried about being sued or something ..
and insurance companies hate it...

Just thought maybe CM could get a seat that you can use with a lap belt (but they are very hard to come by...) then she could carry three in the back?

WriggleJiggle Sun 14-Sep-08 22:46:06

So not illegal, but not advisable ... mmmm, better sort that out on Monday then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now