Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm Club - does anyone else think this is a little strange???

(15 Posts)
looneytune Sat 13-Sep-08 18:08:27

Was chatting to another mum in our post natal group and she got asking me about childminder things as she found out I'm a CM. She mentioned one thing that annoyed her a bit.....she's signed contracts with a childminder who mentioned at point of signing that parents have to supply nappies (quite normal I said) and they have to be a particular brand. I asked why on earth did she want a certain brand providing and she said it's because they hold more!!! shock

I was shocked as this doesn't mean a child shoulc be left for hours in a wet nappy just because they can hold more wee. Even my husband thought it sounded mad and he's not one to really comment on things.

What do you think? A little strange?

juuule Sat 13-Sep-08 18:15:32

Some brands of nappy seem to let the wet through almost immediately. Perhaps parents had been bringing those and the cm had become fed up with changing whole sets of clothes as well as the nappy.

Maybe the cm meant that parents had to bring nappies that were fit for the job.

looneytune Sat 13-Sep-08 18:18:57

The baby hasn't started yet, just signed to reserve a space. And it was made very clear that it was ONLY Pampers or Huggies that were allowed which I don't agree with unless nappies have leaked like you say. I use Asda own as I can no longer afford pampers which are double the cost and I'd never tell a parent what to use, would only say that another nappy needed to be tried if they kept leaking.

juuule Sat 13-Sep-08 18:26:32

Didn't the other mum ask why only those brands?

I agree with your approach.
Seems a bit odd if the cm is dictating which nappies to bring without giving reasons or discussing it.

looneytune Sat 13-Sep-08 18:33:25

yes, the reason was because they tend to hold the most wee hmm

BradfordMum Sat 13-Sep-08 18:35:32

I wonder if she'll specify certain brands of cloting too!
After all, we don't want our mindies looking a mess do we?!

Sally x

southernbelle77 Sat 13-Sep-08 19:52:52

You see I would disagree with her for them holding the most wee! When dd was little we used Tescos because for her they held the most as pampers and huggies used to leak and dd was so skinny and tescos fitted her much better

Was a ridiculous thing for the cm to say! You can not tell a parent what nappies to buy shock So clearly she wouldn't want to be doing reusables then!!

SalsaMo Sat 13-Sep-08 19:57:32

Er, isn't it up to the Childminder to work with the parent and adhere to what she wants for her child? In other words, CM can have a view on nappies, of course, but she can't dictate to a parent what nappies they use! Soppy moo! DD was allergic to Pampers, so if they were the CM's chosen brand, I'd have been walking away!

bloomingfedup Sat 13-Sep-08 20:12:37

I had a mindee who had own brand nappies that ripped and leaked but i would'nt ask parents to change because they may not be able to afford branded ones!smile I did tell the parents what happended though and then its up to them.

QuintessentialShadow Sat 13-Sep-08 20:15:38

I would assume she meant that in her experience other brands leaked quite a bit. Personally, I never used huggies because that is how I found them. Leaking, so not holding enough in. And especially terrible if my babies did a runny poo..... With huggies, this would always go everywhere and we needed to change both the vest and the trousers, but I never had that problem with Pampers.

Stars22 Sat 13-Sep-08 21:09:03

I agree that the childminder shouldnt dictate to what parents buy for their child. Also regarding nappies i think it depends on the child, i have found huggies didnt leak as much as pampers.

vixma Sat 13-Sep-08 21:20:48

Fair play on the possibility of beingmore enviromental....if that is the case (or lazy the other). I change a child every 2 hours normally unless a poo....depends on the age and the diet...some shildren drink more than others. At the end of the day it is up to the parent/s what they buy. Is it me or are some childminders getting more bossier? Even though I have to say, there are some awesome ones out there too.

TheConfusedOne Sat 13-Sep-08 21:30:13

You just redeemed yourself at the end there Vixma grin, but you are right, there are some CMs who seem to think they know better than the parent.

looney, I would be bloody annoyed if someone told me what to put on my child.

In my experience, parents buy whatever is on offer grin

I have had all sorts in 30 years as a CM, (and I much prefer real nappies actually, but then back in the day, when I was a new Mum, that is all there was grin

SalsaMo Sat 13-Sep-08 22:31:34

30 YEARS!!! Jeez, you are old! He! he! <<runs away quick>>

TheConfusedOne Sat 13-Sep-08 22:49:47

MAUREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now