Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Uniforms

(38 Posts)
anyoneoutthere Sat 13-Sep-08 16:59:30

Do any nannies or maternity nannies wear uniforms?

Stars22 Sat 13-Sep-08 17:31:02

No i dont

bigdonna Sat 13-Sep-08 17:37:51

i wore one in a nanny job,but didnt last there long !!!!

imananny Sat 13-Sep-08 17:45:49

went for an interview once and they wanted me to wear a uniform, and it came across that she wanted to show me off, like a stsus symbol at school etc - i turned the job down

tbh a dress uniform isnt praticial as they wanted me to wear, but guess some kind of jersey trousers and tshirt would be ok

but prefer to wear my own clothes

anyoneoutthere Sat 13-Sep-08 17:46:11

I'm asking this because im fed up having my clothes ruined!!

imananny Sat 13-Sep-08 17:53:49

ruined how?

I wera jeans/tshirts etc or sjirts and tops if sunny

anyoneoutthere Sat 13-Sep-08 17:59:08

Ribina, vomit, poo - you name it!! Its not always easy to get stains out

controlfreakinfreaky Sat 13-Sep-08 18:00:23

then buy some cheapish practical clothes and wear them only to work?

giraffescantdancethetango Sat 13-Sep-08 18:02:24

Primark

navyeyelasH Sat 13-Sep-08 18:05:18

When I started as a nanny I just raided my local cheap stores like primark, asda, peacocks etc & bought 10 short sleeved tops (think they were £1.50 each) and 3 jeans and a few other bits n bobs (like jumpers, cheap bracelets etc).

But I'm the sort of nanny that thinks children should get stuck in and be messy etc - I would hate to be constantly worried about where sticky hands & mouths, runny noses etc are going. Also it takes the stress out of, "what to wear today"!

imananny Sat 13-Sep-08 18:06:25

simple - dont wear your nice clothes to work, even if you wear an uniform you will STILL get ribena,poo and vomit over it

or buy vanish/oxy and shove in your washing machine

HarrietTheSpy Sat 13-Sep-08 19:40:01

imananny
did you manage to keep a straight face when you were asked to wear the uniform? Sorry, but around here, people would talk and not in the way your interviewer might hope.

trouble18524 Sat 13-Sep-08 20:41:05

Agree with controlfreak, buy clothes practical for work and use them only for work. I find comfi trousers jeans etc and loose fitting tops, eg polo shirts which can if you like have logos embroidered onto it. Years ago I used to have a little rocking horse on mine.

I refuse to wear a uniform too, makes you stand out in the crowd.

janett Sat 13-Sep-08 20:50:06

When i first nannied over 30 yrs ago i HAD to wear a uniform. I was given a brown mid calf skirt with a white blouse !!! It was definately a status thing. I also had to wash and polish the wheels and each spoke of the large silver cross pram every night. How times have changed.

anyoneoutthere Sat 13-Sep-08 23:19:14

I thought a t-shirt with a logo and a pair of tracksuit bottoms might look practical bt at the same time professional. I stand corrected!!

trouble18524 Sat 13-Sep-08 23:24:52

Exactly AOOT.

I wouldn't go for huge logo tho.

janett Sat 13-Sep-08 23:25:19

T- shirt would be ideal but in : the good old days : family's with nannies wanted people to see they had them, especially doing the daily walk round Hyde Park. Nowdays i wear jeans and tops much more child friendly.

imananny Sun 14-Sep-08 11:37:20

Harriet - I nearly wet myself - they brought it out and was on hanger - it was roughly like a nurses unifrom in style but was red

I was allowed to have 2,but if I wanted anymore i would have had to pay for them myself

sure hubby would have liked it dressed up with red stockings and suspenders grin

nannynick Sun 14-Sep-08 13:58:08

Don't think a nurses uniform would suit me grin
I wear cheap Primark trousers, reasonable quality polo shirt/sweatshirt (with embroidered logo/website url).

anyoneoutthere Sun 14-Sep-08 15:45:59

nannynick - that is exactly what i was thinking of!

HarrietTheSpy Sun 14-Sep-08 17:26:43

imananny
It's interesting that they already had a uniform there, ready to go. I wonder what happened to the previous occupant????

And: Red?! Boy, did they want you noticed!

nooka Sun 14-Sep-08 17:39:54

I had a friend that was accepted into Norland (she actually went somewhere else) and she told us that the always were uniform. This was 10 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but that was definitely a status thing.

squeaver Sun 14-Sep-08 17:45:49

I discovered the other day that two of the children in dd's class have Norland nannies (they recognised each other at pick-up time). Neither of them were wearing uniform.

Simplyme Sun 14-Sep-08 19:49:23

Since uniforms can be percieved as a status symbol I also think they could be a bit of a security issue too.

I mean it might sound ott but some children are kidnapped for ransoms etc. If a child is out with a nanny in everyday clothes you dont know wether it is a child with mum or not.

If the nanny is in uniform then you see a nannied child and think mega bucks mum and dad!!! Maybe I have too much of an imagination but I certainly think it makes them more obvious in that sense anyway.

imananny Sun 14-Sep-08 19:53:04

havent a clue harriet - the uniform looked about my size

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now