Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

End of year bonus for nannies

(33 Posts)
Rienn Sat 13-Sep-08 16:32:16

I have a nanny friend who said she gets paied bonus at the end of the year.She is British and qualified.
Is it normal to pay bonus for nannies?Or is it only paied for qualified nannies?
Do you pay bonus for your nanny?
Or nannies,do you get paid?
As the law says, a nanny is like any other employee,she has the same rights :-)

nannynick Sat 13-Sep-08 16:57:27

I've never had one... maybe I'm not a very good nanny sad ... or maybe it isn't that common once you are not working for the mega rich.
I'd have thought that most families may review the salary annually.

Soapbox Sat 13-Sep-08 17:02:28

I don't pay an annual bonus, but I do give a weeks bonus at Christmas and a week's bonus just before we take our main family holiday in the summer.

Bellie Sat 13-Sep-08 17:13:02

Friends I know that used to have a nanny paid an annual bonus.

Rienn Sat 13-Sep-08 17:15:10

thx for replays.And what about annual reviews?
I'm a nanny myself for 10 years now,and even if my "families" consider me as a great nanny a have never had payrise after working them 1 y ,nor end of year bonus.
For example I stayed with a family for 3,5 years and was payed the same amount all the time.Of course it's very difficult for nannies to talk about money with their employers.
I personally think giving a little extra goes a long way...It makes a huge difference to a nanny to feel she really matters to a family and is kindly rewarded.and the reward doesnt always have to be money or lot of money,the gesture is important!!!
I found myself very often in situations where I feel my work is not really appreciated,although I always exeed expectations and do things for the kids which don't belong to my nanny duties.

Bellie Sat 13-Sep-08 17:18:14

My friends used to give an annual review too. Including a performance review discussion.

Soapbox Sat 13-Sep-08 17:19:14

Rienne - the days of annual increases in any job are numbered. All that happens is that the rate for the job you do is compared with what is currently being paid on the market for that job.

I have always done the same with nannies. If the hourly/daily rate has risen over the prior year, I will increase to that level but if it has stayed the same I don't. Usually I would find some way of giving a little extra money, but it would be in return for the nanny agreeing to something else too.

Nanny pay rates where I live have been static for quite some time now with quite a few experienced nannies unable to find work. I do always pay at the very top of the range so there is little incentive for the nanny to move jobs.

imananny Sat 13-Sep-08 17:48:31

I havent had an end of year bonus but i have always had a weeks salary as a christmas bonus.so prob the same thing

regards to payrise, again I have always had a yearly one

nannyj Sat 13-Sep-08 21:41:26

Some jobs i've had a bonus and others i haven't and it's not something that i expect. Usually had 2 weeks money as a bonus and have always had a payrise anually.

nannyL Sat 13-Sep-08 23:10:41

never had one

im qualified, experianced and have a degree

i dont think tis necessarily 'normal'

wantstoremainanonymous Sun 14-Sep-08 02:01:46

I have name changed here

Over the past few jobs I have received a christmas bonus of 1wks pay, but, no annual pay rise, although another way of looking at it I suppose its like getting a rise in one lump sum and so being able to buy something with it to remember the children by (that's what I've done anyway).

The 1st time I ever received an annual bonus(not that long ago) I was completely speechless when I was handed a months salary shock grin

I think it's more important to be treated fairly in a job though.

wantstoremainanonymous Sun 14-Sep-08 09:31:58

Meant to add i'm not qualified either. As for annual reviews, I think they are so important whether you give a bonus/pay rise or not, even if you/they think everything is running perfectly, it's nice to hear things are going well and that you're doing a good job or gives both parties the chance to iron out those niggling bits that may escalate out of proportion if not dealt with.

Ebb Sun 14-Sep-08 13:57:05

I think an annual pay review is fair as cost of living goes up but I wouldn't expect a bonus as such. That said in all my jobs I have been given bonus's at Christmas and in my last job was given a cash bonus every year that I had been there. In my first Nanny job I was really badly paid (£180 a week for 24/5 - baby 5 wks at start of job - room next to baby on seperate floor from parents shock) but got lots of perks which kind of balanced out the low salary.

FabioBigBangBlackHole Sun 14-Sep-08 14:08:59

I don't know any job that gets an annual review.
My friend had her 25years' service payment a couple of years ago.
It was £100.
She's a nurse.

Stars22 Sun 14-Sep-08 17:35:43

Im qualified and have been in my job 4 years and have never had a payrise or bonus.

VersdeSociete Sun 14-Sep-08 17:38:01

Slightly off-topic but realised that haven't reviewed my nanny's salary for a bit. Anyone know what the current hourly going rate for live-out in London is (either gross or net would do...) ta

wantstoremainanonymous Sun 14-Sep-08 18:36:33

I think the houly rate live-out in London is around £9 net

wantstoremainanonymous Sun 14-Sep-08 18:37:41

hourly

suey2 Sun 14-Sep-08 18:44:24

10 net per hour is the going rate

imananny Sun 14-Sep-08 18:54:52

all depends on age and experience

Simplyme Sun 14-Sep-08 19:34:54

I have had pay rises and bonus' in most of my jobs. I have never expected them and hate asking for money. I think a lot of nannies go out of their way to work hard and go the extras mile often doing things that aren't expected so therefore it is nice to be shown appreciation once in a while and pay reviews and bonus' are a good thing. TBH most other jobs do have yearly reviews as the cost of living goes up so why shouldn't nannies?

imananny Sun 14-Sep-08 19:54:58

excalty simplyme - i dont expect a bonus,but I do a payrise, everything goes up including my mortgage so i need more money

AtheneNoctua Mon 15-Sep-08 10:39:05

I don't give bonuses. I think they are a thing of the past. Nannies, like all other employees, can expect tough times ahead in the recession.

However, if I did get a bonus I would probably be inclined to share some of it with my nanny at Christmas.

Turniphead1 Mon 15-Sep-08 10:54:55

I am interested that some nannies "expect" a payrise. I know plenty of people in the public and private sector who have not had payrises for a number of years (notwithstanding the rising cost of living).

This year, a lot of people will be lucky to hang onto their jobs let alone get a payrise. The collapse of Lehmans today is another financial disaster that is going to hit everyone, even nannies who work for very rich traders in the City, etc.

suey2 Mon 15-Sep-08 11:49:48

I am very happy with my nanny, so will be offering a pay rise once she has been with me for one year. However, i will be working out a 5% rise on her gross salary, not net. I don't see why i should have to pay for an increase of the tax on top of the 5%!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now