Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - URGENT.........Foundation Age.......when they go to school full time.........

(8 Posts)
looneytune Sat 13-Sep-08 15:08:50

I know it was supposed be be that the child is Foundation Age until 31st August following their 5th birthday but I'm sure this all changed to be back to the old way i.e. once a child is at full time school, they are classed as over Foundation Age.

Well I just got a new certificate through and it shows that a Foundation Age child is from birth to 31st August following their 5th birthday and now I have a problem with the after schooler I have.

Anyone know what the situation is with this and where I can read it confirmed that it DID get changed (if it did) so that I have something for when I phone Ofsted on Monday?

TIA

LunaFairy Sat 13-Sep-08 15:29:23

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question correctly.. From what I understand and think I've read recently, that once a child goes in to full time education they are classed as an over 5 in terms of your registration ratios. But they still need to be observed (EYFS) until the 31st Aug after their 5th birthday.

I hope I 'm not wrong on this. Hopefully someone can confirm.

LunaFairy Sat 13-Sep-08 15:32:41

I have the article in my Who Minds magazine Pg 41. Would you like me to write down what is says or have you got the magazine?

LunaFairy Sat 13-Sep-08 15:39:42

So basically.. Over 5's (until the 31st Aug after their 5th birthday) will remain on the EYFS. In terms of adult- child ratio for before/after school/holiday care, once child is in full time education they will be classed as an over 5.

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 16:11:28

They class as an over 5 for ratio purposes but you still need to treat them as an under 5 for observation & planning

looneytune Sat 13-Sep-08 16:42:03

Thanks everyone. I'll check my latest Who Minds - I haven't had them for 3 months before this one as I was on maternity leave and postponed renewing my membership.

The problem is, the certificate reads like this:

conditions:

may care for no more than 4 children under 8 years, of these not more than 2 may be in the early years age group.....blabla

Then at the bottom (after signature and date):

. it is an offence for the reg'd person not to comply with the conditions of registration without reasonable excuse
. the reg'd person must comply with the statutory requirements for the early years register, the compulsary part of the childcare register and voluntary part of the childcare register
. the early years age group is children aged from birth to 31 august after their fifth birthday

So it suggests that i can't have my after schooler which is why I'm worried (unless they are saying that the last paragraph is just like it used to say under 5 and therefore we can ignore this once they are at full time school?)

southernbelle77 Sat 13-Sep-08 20:16:40

I phoned ofsted about it LT, and they confirmed that it means that they are come under EYFS (in terms of obs and planning etc) but still count as rising 5's in terms of ratios so that is ok.

As far as EYFS goes, I think I might get unsatisfactory next time as I am not doing EYFS for my rising 5 I have. They are getting that 'done' on them at school in reception anyway and I do not have the time or the inclination to do it. Naughty me I know, but I have to do it for 5 other children already.

CarGirl Sat 13-Sep-08 20:19:05

I thought the setting that has the child the most has to do the observations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now