Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM/OFSTED to allow an extra child? URGENT

(17 Posts)
wotnopulling Fri 12-Sep-08 13:27:42

I go back to work in a week. I have one dd with a childminder i am very happy with. i am in the process of settling dd2 with her as well. the CM just rang to say she was asking ofsted to allow her to have four children under five and i need to be prepared for them saying 'no' - though she'd be surprised if they did.

Putting aside my horror of learning this could be a problem does anyone know how flexible ofsted are in these circumstances?

I am trying not to panic...but no childcare for dd2. dropping both children at different places. no time to settle dd2 and having her seperated from dd1 is exactly what i didn't want/don't need.

do i need to ring work and warn them that i might not be able to start back or do i hope ofsted say yes in the next seven days (cm is filling in form today)?

I really hope someone out there can help.

schneebly Fri 12-Sep-08 13:29:48

My childminder gor a 'variation' as they call it to look after mine - think they are quite flexible. smile HTH.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Fri 12-Sep-08 13:31:57

I think there is a very good chance as it is for a sibling. If it was for new business they don't usually grant it. I'd advise her to phone/email/fax rather than snail mail though.

aGalChangedHerName Fri 12-Sep-08 13:32:07

Why on earth has she left it so late???

It can take some time for the powers that be to do anything!!

AbbaFan Fri 12-Sep-08 13:34:09

They are very flexible with siblings.

I also am wondering why the CM have left it so late.

Did she already have the others 2 mindees when she agreed to take DD2?

wotnopulling Fri 12-Sep-08 13:36:26

why has she left it so late? why didn't she flag it up before now? etc etc. trying to be calm but this is all i need to be thrown into an already difficult work situation.

it would be for two days a week and until next sept when hopefully dd1 will go to nursery.

if i ring work and say i have childcare problems i'll look like a flake. but i have to ring them this time next week i'll look worse. aaaaaaaaargh. i can't believe there is a chance she won't be able to take dd2 after all (we've been talking about it for around six months!) and she tells me now.

panic rising....

LunaFairy Fri 12-Sep-08 13:36:52

Depending on how your cm is sending the request. She can scan her letter and email it with her signature - that would speed things up. As for Ofsted making their decision. There isn't a time line. They may want to visit your cm and then make their decision Also having 4 under 5's can be a safety issue when out n about etc. Ofsted will look at this. I know of a cm who requested a variation and it came through within 3 weeks. She had to give her reasons as to why she needed the variation/along with how she will accommodate the extra child - carseat, highchair, toys, road safety and the ages of the other children she cares for and the timetable of when she has them.

I don't understand why your cm didn't get her variation in order sooner.

I hope Ofsted approve her requset. Good Luck!

wotnopulling Fri 12-Sep-08 13:45:04

thanks for all the info and advice. i've tried ringing ofsted but just on hold - not a good sign for a speedy variation.

i can't believe i'm in this situation. very unhappy.

seems unlikely to be granted within seven days. how the hell am i going to get another few weeks off work?! i'm going to look like such an idiot. i could just weep.

TheConfusedOne Fri 12-Sep-08 13:48:56

I really cant believe that she hasnt looked into the variation before!!!!

LunaFairy Fri 12-Sep-08 13:55:53

How stressful! Have you a relative that can help you out until this is sorted?

Does your cm have any space on any of day- maybe you can work out a timetable for a couple of weeks until things are sorted.

Your work may understand as it's only for a short period of time until you resume noraml days/hrs again. Keep in mind Ofsted may refuse.

wotnopulling Fri 12-Sep-08 14:20:38

called cm - who confirmed no way she'll have variation by next monday and agreed it could take weeks - and there's no guarantee of it being granted.

called work - as good as they could be considering best case scenario is not sure when i'll be back, hopefully a couple of weeks and worst case is no childcare and starting from scratch.

weeping very bitter tears!

TheConfusedOne Fri 12-Sep-08 14:27:34

Wat did she say why she didnt apply earlier, do you think she dosnt want to have dd2, (find it to hard with 4 under 5) so hasnt applied so that you have to take her elsewhere.

madness Fri 12-Sep-08 14:33:40

something like that happened to me, ended up using 3 nurseries and 2 other people in 1-2 months time span. Now glad I haven't got them at that cm, Ofsted may have approved but 4 little ones and several older ones being looked after by 1 person only, thanks!

wotnopulling Fri 12-Sep-08 14:43:15

well it seems last time she got a variation it pretty much came by return post but things have changed.

i think she'll be ok with the four. very keen to keep dd1 and dd2 together.

she is a very good childminder - but she's been caught out and she's left me in the lurch and no mistake.

i just hope ofsted say 'yes'. if they say no i'm back to square one for both of them which will be messy and i do want to keep them together. I guess i'll have to go down nanny route. which i can't afford and don't want cos i prefer cms.

gawd. just when you think you're in the clear....

southernbelle77 Fri 12-Sep-08 15:23:26

If it's any consolation I have received a variation in under a week before so it CAN be done, but that was via email, not snail mail.

She should have been more organised and sorted it out sooner but hopefully it won't take too long for it to come through.

wotnopulling Fri 12-Sep-08 15:33:47

thanks. she says big form so can't email it (?). i'm ok with work until 29th so i guess i'll keep fingers crossed.

just so hate being stereotype 'mum' in the eyes of the boss class. sigh. this is so not down to me but i know all they'll take away is 'didn't organise childcare'. sad

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 12-Sep-08 16:02:06

On this occassion might it be worth offering to get form off her and email it yourself? I know its her responsibility really, but so irritating that you are going to now sit around waiting for the post to be delivered. grr.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: