Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding vs nannying

(11 Posts)
emblestrembles Thu 11-Sep-08 16:23:25

Hi,
I am a childminder, but currently going through a difficult time with DH.

I was due to start minding again in November for a mum who has been on maternity leave.

She knows my situation and has kindly offered to employ me as a nanny instead. Which is generous considering i have my own two children to look after as well.

I would have charged £85 per day as a childminder for her two. She is offering me about the same but I'm not sure if that is a good deal or not. Don't nannies normally get £75 and upwards NET?

Any advice on pros cons would be great.

nannynick Thu 11-Sep-08 16:43:37

As a nanny, I've been paid £7-£10 gross per hour (I don't have children of my own).

How long is a working day? Typically I was doing 10 hour days (so £70-£100 Gross per day).

Is she told you a Gross or Net figure?

mogs0 Thu 11-Sep-08 17:07:12

As her nanny you won't have any of the expenses you'd have had as a cm. You won't have any of the paperwork. Your house will look the same in the evening as it did when you left it in the morning (assuming there isn't anyone else in it during the day!!). Mine is usually a complete mess after a day of minding!!

I think if I was given the choice I'd go for the nanny position.

Where abouts in the country are you? I was told by a London nanny agency that the most I could charge was £7 net per hour (taking ds along too). I think it sounds like quite a good deal especially as you wouldn't have any childcare costs for your own children.

nbee84 Thu 11-Sep-08 17:51:04

I'd go for the nannying - having been a childminder that has gone back to being a nanny.

As a childminder you have a greater earning potntial if you have more children - I personally prefferd not to have my full quota of children.

You also have more control over your day as a cm, as a nanny you are an employee. But as you already know the Mum and children you know what to expect from her.

As a nanny you can lose all that paperwork - yay!

Your heating, lighting, wear and tear on your own home will be greatly reduced.

I get £85pd net but do not have any of my own children to take with me, so the money sounds ok. You also do not have the accounts to do and the self assesment tax form to fill in.

Bear in mindd that you will have to get your own children up and out of the door every morning to go to work.

emblestrembles Thu 11-Sep-08 18:21:34

Thanks for input. Has made me a bit more realistic about the salary! I would be doing 10hrs per day 4 days per week. So I guess £85gross is about right then with my two kids. She seemed happy to pay me what I would be getting as a childminder.

Brucey Bonus is: not having to worry about getting my house ready for kids coming in the morning. Not having it be a state once kids have gone. Not having to worry about getting food in for them all. Not having breakages and my kids toys will now be their own. Can clear out all CM toys that take up my living room. Don't have to to bloody self-assessment HURAAAH! No OFSTED inspection DOUBLE HURAAAAH!

Down side is: Day is not really my own to decide how we spend it - tho mum seemed happy for us to go out and see friends as wished etc. Will prob worry about getting house spic and span for when mum gets home. Might end up with less cash as can claim most of tax back on expenses with CM.Have to get kids up in morning by 7.30 latest...

nannynick Thu 11-Sep-08 18:39:39

Make sure the mum realises about PAYE, as it adds some cost on top on the salary she pays to you.

There are many pro's and cons

One pro is that it is regular income

A negative is that you have to do as your employer tells you.

mogs0 Thu 11-Sep-08 18:46:53

"Might end up with less cash as can claim most of tax back on expenses with CM." - Yes, but most of that wouldn't really be nett profit for you as it would be spent on expenses so probably would even out.

There is still a certain degree of freedom with nanying, compared to working in a nursery for instance.

mogs0 Thu 11-Sep-08 18:48:17

Also, getting a job virtually anywhere else you'd end up with your own childcare costs which would possibly mean an even lower amount of money.

imananny Thu 11-Sep-08 21:07:34

you would get 67.50 a day - 270 take home a week - for 4 days at 85 gross a day

it is hard and rare for a nanny to find a job when she has 2 of her own children,so this seems a good deal

as an employee you will be entitled to holiday and sick pay unlike if you are se

jurahasfoundthehiggsboson Thu 11-Sep-08 21:52:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Fri 12-Sep-08 00:13:22

The new ofsted website is horrible to navigate - why have they changed it yet again. Waste of taxpayers money!

Home Childcarer registration should be here but Online applications can't be done at the moment for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now