Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Not sure about legalities/fees

(5 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 11-Sep-08 02:10:58

Ok, my lone-parent neighbour has asked if I can look after her baby when neither she nor her mum (with whom she lives) can. Neither mum nor gran is working atm, mum is on maternity leave and gran on sick leave, but they both hope/plan to be back to work sometime in November. (Gran is younger than me!) The baby's dad has said that he'll help out with childcare expenses etc, but this is new - he's been absent so far, but it seems his GF is supporting him in making contact/paying support. Mum is pleased about this.

They (mum and gran) both work in the same place, and shift work is involved. It's not highly-paid, and I don't know how sympathetic the bosses might be about not overlapping their shifts.

I used to CM but haven't for over a decade. I have no official childcare qualifications, just 20 years of experience. I have no intention of re-registering as a CM (the paperwork!) and my house would be a nightmare to baby/toddler-proof, so I have said that I'll be happy to babysit/nanny in their home as required, bearing in mind that there will be times that I simply won't be available. This is because I am self-employed and mostly work evenings/night shifts, but there is no predictability, though I don't accept last-minute assignments. This work is childcare-related and Very Highly Paid, and I've been doing it for some years, so I have an excellent reputation which I am reluctant to endanger.

There are a number of others who could fill in the times I'm not available, all approved by mum, and mum accepts that she'll be the one scrabbling round for a replacement if I'm not available - but that won't be a last-minute thing. At the very least, there would be 24 hours notice, and most probably more.

Are there any legal issues here, (Scottish law) and what would be an appropriate amount to charge, bearing in mind that she won't get help with childcare expenses from the State, and that sometimes it won't be me? (One of her back-ups is my DS (18), another his GF (19), both of whom know the baby better than I, and both of whom have baby-sat before, sometimes for extended periods.) Tbph, I don't need the money as long as my Other Work takes priority (and mum is happy to accept that it does.)

The alternative to this patchwork cover would be to engage a CM in a village 5 miles away. The mum doesn't drive and, as we all live rurally, the nearest bus stop is half a mile from home. Winter is coming in.

I know I'm posting late at night and don't expect any instant responses, but I'd be interested in what you all have to say.

nannynick Thu 11-Sep-08 07:51:26

I don't think there is anything to stop you, or anyone else being a nanny for the family. She won't be able to use any form of government support, as the nanny would not be coming via an agency (in Scotland, the agency is registered, rather than the nanny).
Usual tax would apply - I don't think Scotland is different in that respect - so each nanny would more than likely be an employee.

I'm intrigued... you do Very Highly Paid work which is childcare-related... what job do you do? Some sort of consultant?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 11-Sep-08 13:51:13

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. As I'm already self-employed, (with a large group of clients) can't I be "self-employed" with her too? And, yes, it's sort of consultancy work but I really don't want to get into that.

As for the back-ups, they'd be more likely to be doing an hour or two babysitting here and there, rather than on a regular scheduled basis. Would they need to be "employees"?

nannynick Thu 11-Sep-08 15:33:11

Probably best if you read other threads about self-employed nannies.

here and here for starters.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 12-Sep-08 14:22:18

Thanks Nick, it really is a minefield, isn't it? Maybe I should just buy gran a car. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now