Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has anyone ever reported another CM to Ofsted?

(12 Posts)
AbbaFan Tue 09-Sep-08 12:54:52

Don't really want to go into details, but this CM is a total liability to children, and should not be minding.

Has anyone ever done this?

What is involved?

Twims Tue 09-Sep-08 13:04:11

I reported a nursery but not a childminder

Booh Tue 09-Sep-08 13:27:12

Yes I have, she was not keeping children safe.

AbbaFan Tue 09-Sep-08 13:32:17

Booh - what was involved? Did you need lot's of details.

narkymum Tue 09-Sep-08 13:40:01

I have I saw her hit a mindee round the head. sad

cq Tue 09-Sep-08 13:47:17

I reported a cm once, when DS was v little - nearly 10 yrs ago now. I was looking for potential cm and was round her place to chat and give her the once over.

She was newly registered and her own child was home not-very-sick, and was being completely vile throughout the 'interview'. Disappeared off at one point and came back with her pet ferret which was then allowed to run around the room. CM did and said nothing, ferret ran all over the furniture, tried to run up my leg and then jumped up at my baby's foot - he recoiled v fast and was never sure whether the blardy thing had actually nipped him, but it could well have done as it was lightning quick.

Left her house quite traumatised and got straight on phone to local council (not Ofsted in them days) who promised to go and inspect. Never heard the outcome tho' natch my DS was placed elsewhere.

I'm all for exposing them to pets, but not semi-wild vermin!

Seriously though, if I saw a CM hitting a child I'd be straight on that phone - if it was your child, you'd want someone to step in for you, wouldn't you?

Booh Tue 09-Sep-08 14:02:10

I just phoned Ofsted, told them I was a childminder, they didn;t need my name, I told them the CM I was reporting, her address, what I had seen and where it happened.

She was driving in a tiny fiesta car with four children on the back seat, two in car seats and two sat in the middle with no seat belt (old car)

I heard that Ofsted wrote to her about it, she is still minding!!

If in doubt, report her

wishiddonemore Tue 09-Sep-08 22:18:09

Years ago I witnessed a NORLAND NANNY physically and mentally abuse a small child (under the age of 2yrs).I reported her to my boss who was a good friend of the childs mother, who in turn took the complaint/concerns to the mother in question, and her reply shockingly was "oh she's only temp and will be leaving in 6wks anyway". shock
One time is all it would have taken to damage the child for life (or worse). I was disgusted at this, but, was younger then and didn't know what else I could do. Now of course I would have reported Her to NORLAND and OFSTED etc.
Was pleased to hear she didn't think child caring was for her, so she left the nannying altogether.

BradfordMum Wed 10-Sep-08 07:23:02

I reported a CM in January. She had 6 under 5's and I saw her actually strike a 2 yr old in her care.
I rang and Ofsted took a statement. They told me I had to report it to SS.

This I did, and after I told them what had happened, the lady asked ME what would happen next. I told her that I was just reporting it and surely it was up to THEM what happened next!

The long shot was, that Ofsted rang the woman to book an appointment to see her. This gave her chance to only have the kiddies she should have had.

NO action was taken and she's still minding.

Don't bank on anything happeneing is my opi nion.

mogs0 Wed 10-Sep-08 16:05:43

So what actually is the point of OFSTED? Seems to me that they're there to make up ridiculous rules to give people the illusion that they're safeguarding children but don't enforce the rules they set!!

nannynick Wed 10-Sep-08 16:40:22

If we all decided that we didn't want to follow Ofsted rules any more... what would they do? If we ignore laws/guidance etc, eventually they would get changed, or forgotten about. In our country the legal system relies on the majority of people wanting to follow the law. If the majority decide they don't want to follow a particular law, that law could be overturned eventually.

Ofsted do take some providers to tribunal to stop them from childminding. But does it really stop anyone? No... as unregistered childminding does still happen, and there are few news reports of people being caught.

squirrel42 Wed 10-Sep-08 18:50:06

Trouble is that unregistered minding isn't actually against the law (unlike running a nursery without being registered). If Ofsted finds out you've been minding without being registered they can issue an "enforcement notice" which then allows them to seek prosecution if they catch you at it again. But the truth is that going all the way to prosecution is expensive, and unless there are agravating factors and you're utterly shameless about carrying on, a warning and a slap on the wrist is still much quicker and costs less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now