Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club:Need tips on juggling everyone's needs during the tea time hour!

(10 Posts)
SammyK Mon 08-Sep-08 20:26:19

Hi all, I have had some new mindees start, afternoons, and it's been a while since I had several young mindees here at tea time.

I now have:
DS - 3yrs
mindee - 3yrs
mindee - 6months
mindee - 8 yrs

(Mornings I have two x 1yr old mindees.)

DP works shifts so is either at work or in bed over tea time, and I found it hard to re-adjust today!

For example:
I sit to give baby bottle, and immediately get asked 'can I have a drink' (and then everyone wants a drink).
or
I am trying to plate teas up and baby wants to be held / is hungry etc.

I know this is par for the course but if anyone has any helpful tips or suggestions that would be great. smile

I have just invested in a slow cooker so plan to use this 2-3 times a week so can prep in advance.

At one point I had 8 mindees here for tea,and managed, think I was just anxious today as baby is settling in and didn't want her upset.

spudballoo Mon 08-Sep-08 20:32:29

I'm not a CM, but have a v small age gap between my two boys. it's ok now but was tricky when the youngest was a baby, and the eldest only 18mths or so.

Slow cooker is a great idea, i did the same. Thus all food cooked, all you need do is plate up and let it cool.

Pour everyone a drink before sitting down to tea?

Get a sling of some sort for the baby so at least he/she is having a hands free cuddle while the rest are getting going with tea?

You sound lovely and caring for everyone's needs! Hope that doesn't sound patronising? I don't mean it to be.

SammyK Mon 08-Sep-08 20:58:17

Thanks for reply, doens't sounds patronising at all don't worry!

After being referred to as a babysitter twice today, by two seperate people, it is hard to tick me off. hmm grin]

As soon as the kids asked for drinks I kicked myself for not making them before I sat down! grin

I did think about a sling/baby carrier, wouldn't know where to start on choosing one though!

southernbelle77 Mon 08-Sep-08 20:58:55

LOL Sammy it sounds the same as here!

Everyone has just learned that they need to be patient Everyone gets what they want....
in time!

SammyK Mon 08-Sep-08 21:01:49

That's kind of what I said today SB, but TBH I do think I could have been more prepared / demand ready. grin

spudballoo Mon 08-Sep-08 21:45:48

For a 6mth old I would highly recommend a Connecta (google!). They clunk click like a Baby Bjorn but are sooooo much more comfortable. I still use mine with my 3 yr old so you will get your money's worth, or perhaps mum/dad could chip in? Or check out www.thebabywearer.com for a 2nd hand one, or hire from www.bigmamaslings.co.uk

Seriouly a good sling could make it so much easier for everyone!

SammyK Mon 08-Sep-08 21:50:49

Thank you spudballo, I will check that out tomorrow night as I need my beauty sleep! grin

I do think it would make things easier though.

It's a bad time of dayfor most babies IME, so sling may be a good investment. smile

SammyK Wed 10-Sep-08 07:54:17

Oh spudballoo those connectas are gorgeous! smile

I want one! grin

navyeyelasH Wed 10-Sep-08 13:57:40

The best sling I ever got was a ring sling from freedom slings - a god send!! Connecta are good but limited; no lie flat and no face out? A mei/Mai tai sling is the original concept and far more versatile I find like these www.sasaslings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29 ebay always have used/new unused ones but check for wear

navyeyelasH Wed 10-Sep-08 13:58:55

Also Sammy it sounds like your doing a brill job - just get drinks before sit and you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now