Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: Doing a brochure for occasional minding

(20 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 12:23:06

What do you think of this wording:

Need someone to look after the children while you pop out? Ideally someone your children know?

Just for an hour or so for a doctor?s appointment, the dentist, when your hair needs cutting or just some shopping. Maybe you need to go to the gym?

Come and meet us, get to know us, have a cup of tea and let the children play.

Once you know who and where we are, if you need short-term or occasional childcare we are only a phone call away.

For a small registration fee and a completed information form (this is quite comprehensive) you can choose to phone us and arrange a short session for your child/children. Then you can go to your appointment safe in the knowledge that your children are playing at Walnut Corner.

Fees

Registration fee £10.00
(this is returned if you go on to sign a monthly contract - refunded on your second invoice)

Hourly Rate £4.00
If your child is present for a meal during their stay there is a charge of £1.00

You cannot register for Occasional Minding on the day you wish to have your child minded.

AbbaFan Sun 07-Sep-08 12:30:03

I think it's great, I would definitely use you!

I would make it clear that it would need to be booked in advance.

You may also want to think about a cancellation fee, as you could book people in, turn others away only to have a cancellation on your hands.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 12:36:50

That's a good point

I was planning to charge on booking - so if you booked you pay - but I'm not sure how I can do that, unless they pay by a transfer/payment & email me the confirmation page?

Or something else?

mogs0 Sun 07-Sep-08 12:50:06

That sounds like a great idea!!

Where would you distribute brochures?

Maybe you could increase the registration fee slightly to cover cancellations? Although, not sure if that would work.

MindingMum Sun 07-Sep-08 13:26:09

Will be interested to know how it goes katy as when you first mentioned it, i told you i was planning on doing the same but unfortunately i have only had one enquiry in 6 weeks sad

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 14:31:29

Is this better:

Need someone to look after the children while you pop out? Ideally someone your children know?

Just for an hour or so for a doctor’s appointment, the dentist, when your hair needs cutting or just some shopping. Maybe you need to go to the gym?

Come and meet us, get to know us, have a cup of tea and let the children play.

Once you know who and where we are, if you need short-term or occasional childcare we are only a phone call away.

For a small registration fee and a completed information form (this is quite comprehensive) you can choose to phone us and arrange a short session for your child/children. Then you can go to your appointment safe in the knowledge that your children are playing at Walnut Corner.

You cannot register for Occasional Minding on the day you wish to have your child minded.

Fees

Registration fee £10.00
(this is returned if you go on to sign a monthly contract refunded on your second invoice)

Hourly Rate £4.00
If your child is present for a meal during their stay there is a charge of £1.00

Payment is payable upon booking and due to high demand there is a cancellation fee.

More than 24hrs notice 25% of fee
Less than 24hrs notice 50% of fee
Less than 4hrs notice 100% of fee

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 14:32:34

Thanks - Not sure where I'm going to distribute it

I guess M&T groups..maybe, not businesses as they already have regular childcare in place

AbbaFan Sun 07-Sep-08 14:34:19

Yes, I think it's great.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 14:48:34

I have arranged an open morning on Tuesday - but because of this stupid job I won't be there

My mum is coming & I have one member of staff on (only 2 children) Dh will be around

I kinda expect no-one will turn up

AbbaFan Sun 07-Sep-08 14:58:57

How are you planning to get the word out about your new service?

Could you go and visit some of the local M & T groups and do a quick 5 minute plug.

Or ask the local primary's (lots of mum with younger ones) to put something in the newsletters.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 15:01:10

That's a good idea

I'm feeling quite un (not quite sure what word I want might be hopeful/anticipatory/motivated) about it all tbh

My manage is at a job interview that day (which is a bit of a pain)

AbbaFan Sun 07-Sep-08 15:02:52

Well, good luck.

It may take a while for the word to get around, but I think it could easily take off.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 15:05:09

I agree about it taking time - it's just whether or not I can stay above water until it does

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 15:08:55

Is there a better way to say this:

Bookings can be taken over the phone or by email, however payment must be received within 48hrs of booking or the space will be cancelled.

Walnut Corner has highly trained and experienced staff with insurance, first aid certificate and registered with OFSTED.

nannynick Sun 07-Sep-08 15:56:02

Fees are payable in advance. When booking via phone/e-mail, payment must be made within 48 hours else your booking will be cancelled.

Not sure that is any better.
How are you going to accept payments? Cash in an envelope, Cheque in an envelope, Debit/Credit card via PayPal (if that is possible within PayPal terms).

When they send you their cheque, how will you know who it is from? You can't always rely on the name on the cheque. With e-mail bookings, perhaps create a payment slip, which they print out and enclose with their payment.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 15:58:33

Thanks Nick

Always assuming I get people

I could give them a reference number?

I'd prefer not cash - but then it's tricky isn't it

gooseegg Sun 07-Sep-08 20:47:10

Think about handing out your business cards to local driving schools too.

I think, from ahving tried to do it myself, that it's best to either do conventional minding OR occasional minding (i.e. operating more like a childminding creche than a full day or half day set-up).

Trying to do both at the same time, with different parents and children constantly coming and going, is unsettling for the full day and half day children.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 20:53:33

Do you think?

Remember I can have 9 under 5's anyway - there are people coming & going all over the place (in the nicest possible way) Between school & nursery runs, some children going to sessions & not others it can be mayhem

I already have a mosaic of part-timers

Good idea about driving schools though

gooseegg Sun 07-Sep-08 21:11:19

I think if you are aware of the potential for disruption to the activities of the others, AND you have the staff and premises to cope, AND you devise transition policies that minimise that disruption then it could work.

Getting on your knees and viewing all the comings and goings from a toddler's height can make it all seem quite intimidating. It could also be tricky - without seeming to be abrupt - to manage those parents who want to hang around and chat or to hover on drop off.

KatyMac Sun 07-Sep-08 21:15:46

Hmm - that's a good point - at least the cots are well away

I have that problem with parents already tbh

My little ones are lost atm as they have no-one to play with (only 2 a day)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now