Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to increase nanny's salary by when you add an extra child?

(24 Posts)
mollymawk Fri 05-Sep-08 20:47:29

I hope some of you might have some experience of this. Our nanny has been looking after our 2 DCs and soon will look after DC3 as well when I finish my maternity leave, so I'm thinking about what sort of salary proposal to make. What sort of percentage is it normal to add to her salary in this situation?

phraedd Fri 05-Sep-08 20:50:44

max of 5%

some families that i've worked for haven't increased my salary when a new baby came along as i was employed to work for that family regardless of how many children there were.

nannynick Fri 05-Sep-08 20:56:07

I didn't get any salary increase due to arrival of new baby. Nannies salaries are not based on the number of children the family has.

Initially I would suggest not adding anything. Once it gets to annual review time, then evaluate how well your nanny has done over the past year and increase salary if you feel it is justified. I would expect that rise percentage may be in range 2%-10%, but based on performance, not on number of children.

mollymawk Fri 05-Sep-08 20:56:16

Thanks phraedd. That's interesting. I had no idea what other people do.

Andthentherewerethree Fri 05-Sep-08 21:01:12

On eof my best friends is a nanny and she has said previosuly that she does not get an increase for looking after another child, the onyl time her pay would increase was after her annual review.

mollymawk Fri 05-Sep-08 21:02:40

And thanks nannynick also. We are at annual review time now and I was thinking it would be normal to add a bit for inflation at least and mentioned this to our nanny and then she said "And of course I'll be looking after DC3 as well soon" so I assumed that it was standard to increase salary for a new baby and now I think she might be upset if I didn't add anything for that! So that would be a good reason for me to add some more for the new baby!

MrsPavlova Fri 05-Sep-08 21:04:44

Hi there, I was a nanny for many years, agree with nannynick, review her salary whenever due. Although make sure you are paying the going rate, there are a huge amount of jobs for good nannies, even now.

As long as she feels appreciated she'll be fine, (bit like a wife really).

mollymawk Fri 05-Sep-08 21:04:48

Thanks andthentherewerethree. Seems like the consensus is "not much if at all". I didn't expect that!

mollymawk Fri 05-Sep-08 21:07:59

Yes, MrsPavlova, making appreciation clear is definitely the key!

MrsPavlova Fri 05-Sep-08 21:09:29

Just saw your last comment, hmm, if she pointed out that she will be looking after DC3, perhaps she is looking for more cash...

nannynick Fri 05-Sep-08 21:13:07

Agree with reviewing the wage against other nannying jobs. I recently changed job and one of the factors involved in making that decision was the difference in salary between the existing job and the new one.

Yes, appears we all feel the same... a new baby is not a reason in itself to give a pay rise.

If you give a rise when a new baby comes, then it makes sense to decrease salary when children go to pre-school/school. Doubt nanny would like that much!

MrsPavlova Fri 05-Sep-08 21:18:18

Don't worry, unless you see a copy of "The Lady" lying around..wink

mollymawk Fri 05-Sep-08 21:48:12

Thanks all - I think from what she said that she was expecting an increase so maybe I will explain something along the lines that I have found out that it's not usual but because it's her we will propose an increase anyway (thus hopefully getting in some appreciation as well!).

Sullwah Sat 06-Sep-08 01:10:31

Sorry to hijack the thread - but can the nannies out there also give a view as to whether a nanny looking after twins would expect a higher salary than for two kids of different ages?

Thanks

imananny Sat 06-Sep-08 09:24:50

I am obv in the minority here, I do expect a payrise when a new baby comes along as the terms/duties of the job change - I have had 3 babies comeinto jobs after I had started and always had one - normally 5%

sullwah - no a nanny wouldnt expect more for twins, 2 single aged children or 1 child, as you agree a slary at the beginning but if a new baby came, as I said above then things are different imo

but think im the only one on here who things this [cowers]

Ebb Sat 06-Sep-08 09:42:39

I wouldn't expect a pay rise with a new baby unless it meant an increase in hours. However a new baby obviously means a lot more work in terms of nursery duties so a reflection of that would be nice. In my last job my salary went from £300 nett to £400 nett a week when the new baby arrived but that was more to do with an increase in hours and the fact I became live out rather than because she had had a new baby.

I wouldn't expect more pay for twins and I don't expect a higher salary for having 3 children as opposed to 1.

lindseyfox Sat 06-Sep-08 16:19:09

I wouldnt expect a pay rise for an extra child as paid to be there for the family and most families employ a nanny when have 2 plus children as more cost effective. Perhaps for her annual review increase her salary by 5% saying that is taking into account a yearly payrise and the fact you will be having number 3 now as well.

as a nurse my payrise was 2%!!!

with regards to sullwah's questions I night nanny so do charge more for twins as more work only £3 an hr more than a single baby. But for daytime work when I proxy parent and weekend nanny no get paid the same whether one or 4 children of same or differing ages.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sat 06-Sep-08 16:21:10

TBH just because she might be expecting a bigger increase because there will be an extra child, doesn't mean she should get it!

nannynick Sat 06-Sep-08 18:38:14

Sullwah - I would not expect a different salary due to you having twins.
I actually find that twins can often entertain each other better than age different siblings.

BlueGreen Sat 06-Sep-08 20:35:24

But bear in mind the nanny contracted to look after 2 kids not 3 kids so they need to change the contract. And beside when she toke the job there was only 2 kids not 3. Maybe she wouldnt even take the job if there was 3 kids.

I would give her a pay rise cause of new kids and pay rise.

Sullwah Sun 07-Sep-08 04:48:57

Thanks for answering my hijack - thats what I thought

anniebear Sun 07-Sep-08 10:45:19

I was a Nanny once, I wouldnt have expected a pay rise due to another addition to the family

mishjb68 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:05:33

I have been a nanny for 19 yrs and personally I would expect a pay rise when a new child was added. I feel that for each child in my care I have to keep that child safe for the parents as obviously they are the most important thing in the world to their M+D and incredibly precious. therefore my responsibilities will have increased greatly.

imananny Sun 07-Sep-08 13:30:01

thank god mishjb68 and bluegreen - i was thinking that i was the only one who thought nannies should get a payrise when a NB comes into a job

and all MN thought I was a money grabbing nanny blush - nice to know i am not alone in my thinking

as i said the job/duties change with a NB,now i have 3, i am a lot more busier with feeds,nappy changing,trips to clinic for weighing etc, AS WELL as all the normal things that i do with the older 2 - nursery&school journeys/music lessons/tumbletots/swimming and things after school such as reading/spellings and aftre schoolclubs for oldest- as well as playdates to keep my sanity wink

life was easy when i had 2 (2 and 5yrs),pick up car keys and go, plus the odd free hour when both at nursery/school smileand now no 3 is here, life is hetic but of course fun, and i LOVE my new charge to pieces

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now