Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

EYFS - HOWS IT ALL GOING?

(58 Posts)
coolj Fri 05-Sep-08 16:11:03

Is everyone getting to grips with it all yet. Are we all planning, observing and enjoying it?

FruitynNutty Fri 05-Sep-08 16:13:39

nope. Haven't even started. No idea where to start either.

FruitynNutty Fri 05-Sep-08 16:14:30

I'm hay to do observations as long but I refuse to do planning. waste of time as I never plan anything

FruitynNutty Fri 05-Sep-08 16:14:44

happy not hay

SammyK Fri 05-Sep-08 16:18:18

I do the child activities/recording etc anyway, (plan and do detailed daily diaries with pots etc) so not had to change much there. Do need to become more familiar with the new framework though! blush

This week:
I have implemented a visitors log, and done new attendance sheets for my mindees.
I also have purchased a fridge thermometer.
Also printed and completed Risk Assessments.

I need a food temperature probe, and I need to compose a record sheet for checking fridge temp and food temps.

I am determined EYFS will not have a detrimental effect on the quality of care I offer so have done all this in my own time on an evening.

How about you coolJ?

SammyK Fri 05-Sep-08 16:18:51

pots should say photos hmm

coolj Fri 05-Sep-08 16:28:32

Hi everyone. Ive always done daily diaries, taken loads of photos, written down observations but as for planning, well im kinda stuck there. Ive always just kinda gone with the flow, you know, made sure that we go out, do activities, stories etc but never written them down. But according to my recent Ofsted visit, they are looking for written individual plans. I cant quite get my head round this. As in one day, I always make sure every child is catered for in their own way. But how do you put this in writting.

I had a chat with my DS's nursery who gave me a copy of their framework but it doesnt really apply to us IYSWIM.

I wish Ofsted would be more clear cut and give us forms that they want us to use. wink

southernbelle77 Fri 05-Sep-08 16:31:09

I have hardly done anything! I have observation books which I am writing in as and when I see fit and I am taking photos too which I can put in the scrap books I have started as well as the daily diaries if I think the parents will particularly like it.

I don't do planning! I am trying though and for next week I am going to try and do a weekly plan and theme as I have a few ideas. When the ideas dry up I will go back to being spontaneous!

Really should get my fridge thermometor and food probes shouldn't I blush

I'll be buggered if I am going to do any more though. Haven't done written risk assessments on EVERY bloody outing we go on as that is just so damn stupid! Sorry! Can you see I'm not keen on it all!!!

coolj Fri 05-Sep-08 16:42:43

Hi SB, so how exactly do you do your plan. Do you mention Days, who is there that day, activities etc for each child or what. Sorry if I sound thick. Just dont know how to lay it out.

I used to work in pre-school, so I know what to do but they are after a plan that incorporates each child arent they (or are they) Im totally confusing myself now.blush

SammyK Fri 05-Sep-08 16:43:01

SB my fridge thermometer was £1.49 from Wilkinsons, having trouble finding a reasonably priced food probe though! hmm DP mutters darkly everytime I ention that I need to buy one.

coolj Fri 05-Sep-08 16:47:13

Its all getting a bit extreme. Do these PEOPLE assume that we are willing to poison our own families with foods not kept at the correct temp. I think we know if our fridges are cold enough without having to buy thermometers. I stick my hand in, if it comes out cold, im happy grin

SammyK Fri 05-Sep-08 16:47:41

grin

LunaFairy Fri 05-Sep-08 17:13:36

I attended a conference on the EYFS last night. Total waste of time but anyway.. There were a few of us that spoke up and asked about hom much 'planning' should we be doing. We were told that Ofsted will expect us to have some long term plan all be it a loose plan. I've thought about monthly themes for the next 12 months. I've included seasons, christmas, farm animals etc. I will do a few activities for those each month.

I am also starting a daily diary for each child. I do fill out a contact book for the parents but the diary will be more in depth with photos. This will also be good show Ofsted that I have routines in place and that I'm organised - it gives them a better insight of my setting.

On top of this, observation on child a couple of times a month and then planning will be included on that observation - what next?

I only have two mindees so I'm not too over loaded with paperwork. I do feel for cms that have lots more mindees.

I'm gonna run out of activity ideas though! I'm not overally creative so steal ideas of other cms and friends.

coolj Fri 05-Sep-08 17:41:05

Hi LunaFairy

Examples of themes we used to do at preschool are;

Festivals incl Easter, Christmas, fireworks as well as Diwali, Chinese New Year etc
Seasons
Colours/shapes
Animals
People who help us; ie policemen, lollypop ladies, firemen etc
Minibeasts - creepy crawlies
Sea creatures

Hope this helps. grin

navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 19:14:15

We are only doing one "in-depth" observation a month and daily diaries (10 mindees!). Doy uo think that's enough?

We have put together a little booklet, it has space for "about me" just little notes to do with child, my family page, then a "days out" page where we say what we have been up to and stick in any stuff we have collected on our way (shells etc), space for three pictures, few pictures child has drawn, certificates & achievements, then at the back breakdown of each area of EYFS and then a comment on what child has done to meet that area and what we plan to do in the future based on that observation. ie X counted to 5 next time we will try to get to 10.

We plan to do one "in-depth" observation a month and then give these little booklets to parents at the end of every quarter.

My concern is that one a month is too little but with 10 mindees and even more pre and after school time is precious! What does everyone else think?

Also we do not get the risk assessments for outings at ALL! Is it just a case of, pushchair works, tick: Safety bracelets all in one piece, tick....? I feel like you CMs need a crystal ball to know what it is Ofsted expect! (I work PT as an assistant)

navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 19:14:59

PS. Do you have to plan for the year sad

southernbelle77 Fri 05-Sep-08 19:26:20

Plan for a year???? I struggle to plan for a week

I didn't realise I had to do a plan for each child though. I thought I would do it just what I plan on doing each day taking into account who I have that day.

AbbaFan Fri 05-Sep-08 19:33:32

I havn't done anything yet blush

I am totally planning to though grin

LunaFairy Fri 05-Sep-08 19:42:52

Thanks CoolJ for the ideas. Much needed! I've got 2 toddlers so my themes are very lightly touched on - nothing too heavy!!

I'm starting off as 1 observation per month. I might increase that as I don't have too many children to think about.

Navyeyelash, I would take a copy of your observation books before handing to parents. It will be good reference and something to show Ofsted as well.

SadPat Fri 05-Sep-08 23:16:11

Hello everyone.

I'm an occasional poster so apologies for butting in.

So far this week I have planned and recorded nothing, because I wrote my letter last week requesting exemption and posted it to the local authority so that they would receive it Monday morning. No reply yet.

I did take loads of photos though, but I always did that anyway. Oh! and we all had lots of fun this week even though it was raining for a lot of it.

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 08:21:49

Hi Sadpat (I think I 'know' you...but I could be wrongwink) - don't worry it will all come right in the end. Glad you aren't too despondent - I know you are doing what your parents want

SammyK Sat 06-Sep-08 09:44:20

BCMA have planning sheets, long term, medium term and short term, that are really straightforward to use. Whoever runs that website should receive a medal,it's brillinat. smile

Arfa Sat 06-Sep-08 10:09:26

KatyMac: Yes, you do and I hope everything comes right in the end for yourself too.

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 18:38:54

grin

Mum2Luke Sat 06-Sep-08 22:09:05

What am I supposed to do? I have no children during the day now until 3pm as the youngest has started school full-time (yay!)?

I have tried to do themes but the children refused to do anything that resembled schoolwork. Their parents are quite happy for me to take them to the park/do activites at home as they feel they do plenty at school without doing more in the hols.

I think the EYFS is a total waste of our time, how are we supposed to write down everything while refereeing a squabble between children? We work alone so we don't have staff to take over when we need the loo and we don't have lunch breaks or any breaks come to think of it.

Am fed up of cming!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now