Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How did you recruit your babysitter?

(61 Posts)
Chuffinnora Thu 04-Sep-08 18:38:07

I need my social life back and need to find a babysitter. I can't ask any family members, friends all have kids and we wouldn't be able to go out together and none of my neighbours or friends have any handy teenagers I could ask. I checked the babysitting sites but none have a sitter in my area. Any ideas?

Anna8888 Thu 04-Sep-08 18:42:20

Put an ad in your local classified mag.

navyeyelasH Thu 04-Sep-08 18:54:46

Gumtree is normally your friend! Or net mums

Simplyme Thu 04-Sep-08 19:07:05

Try asking around - mums at schools etc and ask who they use!! There must be people in your areas who use babysittters?

lindseyfox Thu 04-Sep-08 19:57:51

what area are you in? maybe someone on here who babysits is local to you.

mrspnut Thu 04-Sep-08 19:59:18

I put an ad in the childcare department of my local college and got a girl who is doing her NVQ in childcare.

They've all been CRB checked and they are all fairly used to children so it seemed the most sensible option.

nannynick Fri 05-Sep-08 07:23:25

Church newsletter
Postcard at newsagents/village store

nannynick Fri 05-Sep-08 07:29:12

If your child goes to a youth group, then ask there about teenage youth group members who may be looking to babysit (eg. Guide/Scout/St.John Ambulance group)

Chuffinnora Fri 05-Sep-08 10:17:38

I'm in West Wales. Think the idea about the childcare dept is a good one as it is just down the road from my house.
I will also look into the youth group/church idea.
Thanks

lindseyfox Fri 05-Sep-08 16:28:55

perhaps we need to start a babysitter thread so people on here who do babysit can state area they cover, quals and experience and their rates.

MascaraOHara Fri 05-Sep-08 16:33:09

I put up a local ad. - girl turned out to be a nightmare.

I used Sitters - woman was cold, dd asked me not bring a stranger again

Eventually - I as a girl advertising.. she had done a 'babysitting' course at her local college during the shcool holidays.. learnt basic first aid etc.. had lal litlle forms (bless her) she's been fab.. so my recommendation.. Call your local colleges ask if they are doing a similar scheme and if there's a a way you can find out if there's anybody local..

hifi Fri 05-Sep-08 17:25:12

i used sitters, tried 5 or 6 different ladies and settled on the present one. i now bypass sitters and book her myself.

bloomingfedup Fri 05-Sep-08 17:42:08

Some childminder offer this as an extra - try ringing round? (you can get a list from childrend informtion service) The benefits of using a childcare professional are:- They will have CRB check, refrences, will have attended first aid courses etc.

bloomingfedup Fri 05-Sep-08 17:42:11

Some childminder offer this as an extra - try ringing round? (you can get a list from childrend informtion service) The benefits of using a childcare professional are:- They will have CRB check, refrences, will have attended first aid courses etc.

dannyb Sat 06-Sep-08 14:22:51

I've used sitters for years and have always been really pleased with the ladies who come to me.

overthemill Tue 09-Sep-08 20:22:42

i could never find one so i started this website and now I have thousands to choose from!
I did n't get on with Sitters, sadly, as they wouldnt let the babysitter bath or medicate my severely eczema -y child (who needed reg medication and bathing)

Scarletibis Tue 09-Sep-08 20:27:41

I got mine through my DDs nursery

ravenAK Tue 09-Sep-08 20:28:20

Wow overthemill, you have 4 sitters in my area AND one does overnight AND it's cheaper than sitters!

<rushes to register>

Brilliant. smile

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 09:11:38

OverTheMill, does your website's postcode search work? I've just tried 3 postcodes and no babysitters showing up with 25miles of any of them.

Will register as a parent anyhow.

Ps. You might end up with your post being removed as technically you have to pay to advertise smile

overthemill Wed 10-Sep-08 09:19:56

yes i know. i try to be discreet and honestly am not advertising, just telling you about options. there are other sites i know!! eg sitters, www.nannyjob.co.uk

the postcode search does work (just checked!) but I guess there may not be any babysitters in your area yet - where are you, i can try to get some sign up. I started the site from my own experience, i planned to do my home county but it just mushroomed into nationwide but relies on my paid for ads for sitters plus wod of mouth.
if anyone knows any one who babysits tell them

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 09:23:48

I searched on a number of MK postcodes, obviously just none registered yet smile

I will keep an eye on the site as I'm always looking for reliable peopele. I have one girl at the moment who is great but always good ot have a back up plan

overthemill Wed 10-Sep-08 09:43:10

not sure exactly where you are (I am MK45) but I have done some leafleting recently and also asked at schools - getting 6th formers and also at the colleges to sign up. i also target childminders/teaching assistants/nannies.

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 10:01:42

REally? you are local to me(?) I am M K 4 3

overthemill Wed 10-Sep-08 10:25:26

ooh now i want to know exactly where you are!! I think it must be up near the famous abbey? or the college that sounds like a gaskell/trollope novel??

indiechick Wed 10-Sep-08 10:35:11

I use one of the younger nursery nurses from dd1's nursery. It's brilliant, she's CRB checked, dd1 has known her for 3 years and sees it as a treat if she comes. Best option for me, total peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now