Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB - help me out here......transporting 3 under 18 months on school run, help me with my options please.....

(18 Posts)
looneytune Thu 04-Sep-08 13:29:33

Hi all

Started back after maternity leave on Monday and first school run (for ds1) was yesterday.

I had it all worked out but stupid me didn't take into consideration when it's raining, I'll explain what I mean.........

My own children are 5 yrs and 10 weeks old. 3 days a week I look after an 8 month old and 18 month old and the other 2 days I look after the 18 month old and a 17 month old.

What I've done so far is drive to school (not option to walk), park up and get the 2 mindees in the double pram and put my ds2 in a sling. This was going to continue until my back couldn't take the weight of ds2 but then I realised that a sling is not protected with a rain cover so what do I do when it's chucking it down with rain? I can't hold an umbrella as I'm pushing a double.

There is no choice about the 2nd mindee each day (either 8 month old or 17 month old) as they have to be in a pram. The 18 month old is a VERY good walker, however, is at that age where she wants to do it all herself and will try and not hold my hand etc. and no way will I walk her without reins for safety reasons!!! BUT....not sure parents would be happy with me using reins and i do respect that but I just can't have 4 kids with me and risk one pulling away from me.

I do have a litaf seat to go and a buggy board and I did think about trying these out but not sure how well they work on my side by side double, plus, she'd get wet if it rained heavy (but then again, she would if she walked as with all kids so I don't think that's so bad with her raincoat on, whereas my sling would get soaked even if I put my baby in a raincoat etc).

So, what other options have I got? Just getting a triple buggy? Do I really need one? Aren't they mega expensive?

Right, I've done my waffle now.....please let me know your thoughts to help me think of the best way round this.

TIA

looneytune Thu 04-Sep-08 13:46:32

Got a feeling that it's going to be chucking it down on this afternoons run I'll find a raincoat for ds2 and just roll it as far up so fits if possible. Actually, I may be able to put him in and THEN put a raincoat on and therefore protect the sling that way? I'll have a raincoat myself so the back part will be protected - wish me luck!

mumlove Thu 04-Sep-08 13:47:42

Ideas???

Ok how about a larger raincoat that would fit around you and baby.

One of these but will still need raincoat and waterproof trousers.

I would try and fit your seat to go onto it 1st and try that. My friend had 1 on her side by side maclaren and I have had a buggy board on mine.

mumlove Thu 04-Sep-08 13:49:00

Took to long to reply to you, now I shall go and get a coffee from the staff room you have opened.

looneytune Thu 04-Sep-08 14:03:50

Thanks mumlove. I'll have a look and if the seat to go will fit to it and be on one side rather than in the middle, that would be great as when they're in the middle they seem to get in the way! And yes, a big raincoat would be an idea, any recommendations as never know where to get proper raincoats for adults.

mumlove Thu 04-Sep-08 14:26:04

Yes put the seat to go at the side and not in the middle.

I buy my raincoats in oswald baileys or millets. But supermarkets now do some.

cmotdibbler Thu 04-Sep-08 15:34:41

You can get babywearing ponchos that fit over the two of you and keep you both waterproof (and still lets the baby see out). They come up second hand on the Yahoo Babywearingswap group

FourArms Thu 04-Sep-08 15:47:21

Giant raincoat which you can zip round sling?

Older child in waterproof suit in back carrier (ergo very comfy and easy to put on with practise).

Sawyer64 Thu 04-Sep-08 15:50:00

I'd put Eldest toddler on a buggy board,and put youngest and your DC in the buggy.

navyeyelasH Thu 04-Sep-08 16:36:26

Depending on what you mean by sling this could work? www.thinkbaby.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/263
www.babies247.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/897

I personally wouldn't bother with the seat to go in the winter months as the 18 month will get soaked and parents don't always provide appropriate clothing so you may end up with a wet, tired, miserable 18 month old!

Otherwise something like this or this could work?

You can also get all in one suits like this but start at 6 months.

I will keep thinking!

fairibell Thu 04-Sep-08 16:40:11

I have a larger lightweight waterproof (brought when i was pregnant for dog walks!) and I wear DD in sling and putcoat over us both, have also been lent a waterproof hat for her (think came from ebay!) that keeps the water off her head!

navyeyelasH Thu 04-Sep-08 16:52:24

I knew there would be something better: Have a look at this out of stock though and a bit pricey for some; but you should get loads of use out of it!

SillyMillysMummy Thu 04-Sep-08 17:25:30

how about one of www.buggybrolly.com/these to attach to your double?

SillyMillysMummy Thu 04-Sep-08 17:26:40

oops

here

navyeyelasH Thu 04-Sep-08 17:27:24

this is the link from SMM www.buggybrolly.com/ they are amazing!!

looneytune Mon 08-Sep-08 14:39:42

SOOOOOOO sorry for not coming back sooner, to say life is a little mental atm is an understatement wink

Thanks for such fab advise, really given me something to think about Will have a chat with older mindees parents about things moving forward but definitely think one of those ponchos for mother and baby is a good idea - very sexy looking eh!! winkgrin

Anyway, mindee just woken up so going to get ready for the school run.

Thanks again everyone

p.s. I never knew they did proper size umbrellas you can clip on!!!

mogs0 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:31:12

I've just ordered a buggy brolly!!!!! I saw something similar years ago and they were £50!! shock These are much more reasonable!!!!!

mogs0 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:34:13

Do you have a back carrier? I always find it much easier to carry a bigger child on my back than a tiny baby on my front. Are either the 17 or 18 m olds smallish? Certainly the 8 month old would be ok. I hope your school runs continue in the dry!!

Are there any parents in ds' class who could bring ds out to your car to save you getting everyone out of the car?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now