Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

A CM who doesn't go to groups

(17 Posts)
nobodytoldme Wed 03-Sep-08 23:01:40

Is that odd? I saw a CM the other day who just hangs out with her mindees in the park or at home - doesn;t go to CM drop ins. Is this unusual? Her little troop of boys were very happy, but in contrast to the 2 other CMs I saw who seemed to spend almost all day out of the house!
SHe says she doesn't get time, and does organised activity in her home rather than at a group

ThePrisoner Thu 04-Sep-08 01:44:17

I know several childminders who are very much home-based - they will go for local walks, to the park etc., but not to any social groups with other adults/children.

If that is what a parent is happy with, then I think it's OK.

Personally, there is no way I could stay sane in this job if I didn't go out and about. I take my mindees out somewhere every morning - toddler group, soft play, music group etc. Again, if a parent doesn't want that, then they won't choose me as their childminder.

HappyChildminderBerkshire Thu 04-Sep-08 08:13:41

Some children don't like going to groups and prefer to play with other mindees who they know. If they are getting out, plus she is making sure their normal routines are a priority I think she seems excellant

Shoshe Thu 04-Sep-08 08:17:47

God I would go mad, (in fact I thought I was, when I first moved here and started up CM again, I didn't drive and hated the only M&T on Camp)

Then I met another CM, and we organised a drop in, and started a CM group, and organized a minibus to take us swimming and such, and life became normal grin

mogs0 Thu 04-Sep-08 11:51:10

I never go to toddler groups but I used to go to a music class (before I moved) with mindees and I used to go to lots of parks or to the library etc.

Scarfmaker Thu 04-Sep-08 20:16:27

Nobodytoldme - how do you know she doesn't go to any toddler groups etc. Most of them have been closed over the summer holidays anyway.

Scarfmaker Thu 04-Sep-08 20:16:27

Nobodytoldme - how do you know she doesn't go to any toddler groups etc. Most of them have been closed over the summer holidays anyway.

Scarfmaker Thu 04-Sep-08 20:17:06

Scarfmaker Thu 04-Sep-08 20:18:43

Scarfmaker Thu 04-Sep-08 20:19:20

Sorry my computer is playing up!

Scarfmaker Thu 04-Sep-08 20:22:43

Sorry I also misunderstood the question and thought you just knew a childminder and assumed she didn't go to groups.

BayeauxT Thu 04-Sep-08 22:48:04

I interviewed one CM who said she didn't go to groups as she found them too cliquey... tbh s do I, but I used to take my DD to groups anyway as I know she enjoys it. I might have let it go if she had a couple of kids on her roll, but she only had one other on the days I wanted DD to go. It depends on the child I suppose, but my DD is very social and gets wired up if you don't get out at least once a day to meet other children.

Kewcumber Thu 04-Sep-08 22:51:23

"troop of little boys" sounds like she has quite a gang and maybe they can entertina each other? I am happy that my CM doesn;t go to groups during the summer much (not that there;s many open anyway) because her two boys 7 and 11 are home and they tend to keep DS very busy with playing football and generally being a hooligan.

Think DS would get very bored staying at home all day during term though.

FruitynNutty Fri 05-Sep-08 16:25:24

CM groups are extremely cliquey. So much so they reduced my CM friend to tears. Parent and toddler groups are normally lovely though. I stick to these. Much more friendly smile
I'm surprised she doesn't go to any, but as long as she's getting the children out for fresh air then I'm sure that's fine.

LunaFairy Sat 06-Sep-08 13:16:26

I cant find a good group/toddler session in my area. The ones that are on offer are dreadful! There isn't much space, lack of toys, too many kids crammed in one room. And my local cm group is very clicky - can't stand it.

We tend to visit the park every day (weather permitting), library, farm up the rd, art class, have other cms and mindees to visit. I always have 2/3 kids each day so they always have a play friend.

Was thinking of opening up a group/toddler session but I just don't have the time these days. Hoping someone else will!

Booh Sat 06-Sep-08 22:12:51

I go to toddler groups but I DON'T go to the local CM drop in group as I think it is awful, it is extremely cliquey (and some of the care that I see there makes me want to cry)

I do however, meet up with lots of other CM's

nobodytoldme Sun 07-Sep-08 19:56:45

Thanks all, she doesn't seem to meet with other cms either, but her husband is around a lot (jobbing actor) and they do art, piano, singing and dancing with the 3 boys she minds. And they go to the park every morning.
As I said they seem very happy which I know is key - I am sure I am just looking for a reason to never leave pfb with anyone, ever wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now