Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

ADVICE PLEASE.......17 months old - How much speech should they have?

(13 Posts)
Tas1 Wed 03-Sep-08 19:20:51

I am looking after 17 month old twin boys who have no speech at all.
Not a word, they just grunt and scream.

How much speech should they have by now? text books say 10-15 words.

I have been looking after them for 2 months now and I talk to them constantly, read books and point to pictures, describle what I am passing to them ie; cup, juice, coat, shoe etc. But they wont even try to repeat words.

What can I do to encourage speech?
Should I mention to the parent?

nowwearefour Wed 03-Sep-08 19:27:07

YOu really should not worry. i cant believe many 17 month olds have that many words. really really dont worry about it. even if they are 2 and not realy speaking it is still quite normal. esp for twins. if their development is otherwise fine dont worry about it. ignore these things. 17 months is still v v little.

nannynick Wed 03-Sep-08 19:36:01

Found these two on HealthVisitors.com
Speech and Languange Ages & Stages
Speech Development - has some suggestions to encourage speech.

Twins in my experience can develop their own language between themselves. Is their grunting perhaps a method of communication between themselves?

LunaFairy Wed 03-Sep-08 19:37:52

I really would not worry. Some of the text books can really concern a parent/carer. My son was very late with his speech - he is nearly 3 and I can't keep him quiet - he is coming up with new words each day! My mindee who a girl and 18 months old has lots of words and I have found this the case with all the baby girls I have minded. Boys generally can be a lot slower with their speech. I would carry on as you are - keep talking to them and show them picture books. There are so many good first word books in the shops. You are doing all the right things wink

KSquiff Wed 03-Sep-08 19:38:42

I agree, I mind a 2 yr old and she only says puppet, mummy & Daddy but you have to know what you're listening for because the words themselves are unclear.

Really at 17 months, nothing to worry about.

KatyMac Wed 03-Sep-08 19:38:50

Message withdrawn

AbbaFan Wed 03-Sep-08 19:43:00

I wouldn't expect much talking at all at that age.

Don't worry.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 03-Sep-08 19:46:29

Echo all here - please don't worry.

smile

neolara Wed 03-Sep-08 19:50:19

My DS could say mama and dada at 17 months. By 19 months he had added two more words. Then one day, out of the blue, he said ten words. And he has been adding more and more each day. Four weeks on (at just 20 months) he can now say between 50 and 100 words. It was like a switch had been turned on one day and he just started copying everything I said.

flowerybeanbag Wed 03-Sep-08 19:52:52

DS is 16mo and only says mama. He uses lots of different sounds but no actual distinguishable words. I am not panicking He communicates well enough what he wants and needs and certainly understands everything I say to him, scarily so.

Anotherbook Wed 03-Sep-08 19:58:38

Some good sites here

I can

Speech Teach

and good suggestions on supporting speech generally on this current thread.

I was told by SLT to keep everything really simple - max 2-3 word sentances when speaking to encourage speech.

It is surprising when you actually listen to yourself speak to this age child and don't do this

e.g. John play, Another car , Here's teddy (but still grammatical not it car but it's a car)

Also,lots of repitition e.g, if they pick up a ball It's the ball.John's ball.Ball's rolling etc.
John jump,mummy jump,daddy jump.
Teddy's nose,Teddy's ears,Teddy's eyes
You get the idea!

And focused floor play time with no backgound noise following the focus of their attention and talking about it e.g. child looking at teddy - let's make teddy jump?

17 months is very young.Do they point and wave and share attention as this is what is important really at this age.I wouldn't worry at this stage at all if they do this.

Scarfmaker Wed 03-Sep-08 19:59:54

I look after a 17 month old and she can say lots of words like flower, ball, banana (narnar) mumma, dadda, please, pasta on their own whereas the 22 month old girl I look after has in the last few week been saying three words together "oh dearie me", "big hug", "put dolly cot" and today as clear as anything "robin redbreast" when we were in park.

At 17 months it's all going in and will hopefully start to come out soon.

Tas1 Wed 03-Sep-08 20:48:21

Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now