Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Calling anyone out there that work for SITTERS............

(41 Posts)
AbbaFan Wed 03-Sep-08 18:25:39

Do you get the feeling that they care way more about their clients than their employees?

They just let clients cancel with hardly any notice and you get nothing.

It really annoy's me angry.

Anyone else fed up with working for them?

chelsygirl Wed 03-Sep-08 18:28:29

I think the pAy is crap and there are no checks on the client, eg. you go into a hotel room to babysit and no one has vetted the clients

lindseyfox Wed 03-Sep-08 18:41:13

i was registered for a year with them and never babysat as i ended up with enough private clients paying me £10 an hr. The lady rang to tell me i was being taken off their books as I hadnt babysat for them for over a year!!!

Simplyme Wed 03-Sep-08 18:53:15

They are rubbish! Get pittance from working from them! If you re register then you have to wait months before they are in "your area" for interviews! I live in London not the sticks so you wouldn't think it would be that hard to interview!! Plus like you said loads of cancellations

nannyL Wed 03-Sep-08 19:32:03

i did it twice

the pay as far as im concerned is outragously poor... i usually charge almost double what i get through them

reslut they dont ask me to sit any more but the money was so rubbish i dont care!

(One time i did it is was for the minimum 4 hours pay but they only needed / booked me for 2 hours so it was worth my while!)

Turniphead1 Wed 03-Sep-08 19:35:43

I have to say, as a potential client, I thought the rate of pay seemed very low. I couldn't see how they could get people for that rate. Interesting post.

AbbaFan Wed 03-Sep-08 19:40:12

The money side is not too bad. I get around a minimum of £25 a night.

I just hate the way that Sitters treat me.

I once agreed to work New Years Eve, and the clients cancelled with an hours notice. They only had to pay me £20 instead of the £100 I was due to earn. I ended up not working and not going out.

imananny Wed 03-Sep-08 20:48:21

sitteres pay a pitence amount of money so I wont bs for them as with nannyl I charge almost double what they suggest a bs should be paid

When i bs I have a cancellation fee of 4hrs (£40) if cancelled with 24hrs

regards to bs on NYE they should pay full amount if cancelled with in a hr

surely if sitters were/are a reputable company they would treat their staff( the sitters) with common curtsey and pay them a cancellation fee

nannyma Wed 03-Sep-08 21:40:03

I am registred with them over 3 years. Rubish money but what is worst if I ask them if family where I am going to work have got dogs, they does not know! I am strong alergic and sometimes working for family with HUGE dog. ( if somebody does not like dogs will have shock and run away immediately). Hate sitters as they canceled a few bbst hour before job start and did not pay me:O((( Hate sitters because they calling me with offers which are not in my area. I do have other agency Bibi and Beck who are great!

phraedd Wed 03-Sep-08 21:41:42

I worked for sitters when they first started. I got messed about badly by several of their clients but that didn't bother them.......however......

I had to cancel twice at late notice - once when my father in law was taken into hospital very poorly (turned out to be cancer) and the second time was when my daughter was in high dependency unit with ruptured appendics.

I was told that I wasn't committed enough and that they didn't want people like me on their books!

Never again.

AbbaFan Wed 03-Sep-08 21:59:44

Nannyma - think I will contact them and see if they need anyone in my area.

Phraedd - that is awful. When I was interviewed the lady made it clear that it would be a no no for ME to cancel. I have been with them 3 years and cancelled once as I was sick as a dog - I phoned first thing in the morning and they gave me a really hard time.

They don't give a shit when the client cancels - they still get their booking fee, it's just us left with nothing!

I am really going off them now!

nannyL Wed 03-Sep-08 22:20:32

oh yes

i was regularly called to sit a long way away... 20miles +

why would i want to do a 40+ mile round trip, give up andevening when the pay barely even covers my 40p per mile mileage rate hmm

nannynick Wed 03-Sep-08 22:22:43

Is being paid for cancelled bookings in your contract with them? I would have thought there would be a clause for that... not being registered with Sitters I don't have one of their contracts... so, is there such a clause?

Sitters Terms and Conditions seems to suggest that they aren't the employer. Are they not employing you? If not, then if the parent cancels, I suppose you have to chase the debt with the parent directly.

badgerhead Thu 04-Sep-08 10:21:02

I have been with sitters for a long time & think that the rates of pay are rubbish now, especially when you have to sit for two or more children, compared with what I earn as a childminder! If it wasn't for the fact that I sit for a few regular nice families I would give up. I am also finding that more families are cancelling now & I don't like the fact that we don't get paid, even a cancellation fee then. I even had one family cancel when I got nearly to their house with no apology from them or sitters. I also agree they are really rude to us if we have to cancel for some reason, it does not engender loyalty from their sitters does it!

HarrietTheSpy Thu 04-Sep-08 10:31:19

I have a couple of friends who use Sitters. To be honest, I'm surprised at the rates of pay. Where we are it is under £6 per hour with sitters. Although they have to pay the quarterly membership fee and a booking fee, so it doesn't quite work out cheaper for the parents (unless you are paying for a cab back, then it's much cheaper.)

We pay our babysitters £7-8 per hour which is more what I would expect.

AbbaFan Thu 04-Sep-08 13:38:03

badgerhead - I feel exactly the same as you. I have got about 8 lovely families that I go to.

Wish we could do something about sitters changing their rules on cancellation's. I expect if they put stricter rules in place, less families would do this at the last minute.

Janni Thu 04-Sep-08 13:43:01

Very interesting thread from a potential client's viewpoint because, obviously, I would not want to use an agency whose staff felt exploited. So, for us London mums who need the odd night out and don't have family around, who would you recommend??!! grin

AbbaFan Thu 04-Sep-08 13:45:12

I would recomment them, they are a good agency, but just dont cancel your sitter at the last minute wink

ivykaty44 Thu 04-Sep-08 13:51:25

Hum can I suggest you may want to put your head together and set up on your own..........

phraedd Thu 04-Sep-08 16:26:50

you could find yourself a regular babysitter through gumtree or nannyjob or even word of mouth

Simplyme Thu 04-Sep-08 18:40:25

Where in London are you Janni? I'm SW and babysit regularly! I charge £8 phr and have my own car so no taxi fare needed!!!!

Simplyme Thu 04-Sep-08 18:41:43

Where in London are you Janni? I'm SW and babysit regularly! I charge £8 phr and have my own car so no taxi fare needed!!!!

Janni Thu 04-Sep-08 19:29:28

Oh thanks, Simplyme, I'm pretty central (EC1) so I don't know if that would be any good for you?

giraffescantdancethetango Thu 04-Sep-08 19:32:30

sitters have been awful imo, wouldnt go near them again.

Simplyme Thu 04-Sep-08 20:12:52

sorry Janni a bit too far for me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now