Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB: Transport theme - activity ideas please?!

(7 Posts)
MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 02-Sep-08 15:52:09

I'm so late in doing my monthly planning, blame to summer!!

I want to theme our work around Transport this month, and am having a blank!

I've got a few display posters up, have printed off a Bus stop role play set from Sparklebox, and there's a construction one too which I'll do in two weeks - Have been to the library and got some fact and fiction about transport, I have train track, cars, diggers etc..
I thought about doing car tyre paint tracks as an art thing, and making vehicles from junk.

Any other ideas please??

SammyK Tue 02-Sep-08 17:05:55

Big box and something circular (paper plate) viola a big car. grin

May share this idea with you mine are all transport mad it would go down a treat.

Can you go for a real bus or train ride?

Toy cars in paint is good is that what you meant?

Some square of coloured paper and some dark circles of paper for a sticking activity. We have made nie cars, buses and lorries doing this.

Songs - wheels on the bus. Runaway train.

Will have a think later when I've clocked off! grin

saltire Tue 02-Sep-08 17:07:06

I have some road safety colouring sheets, would that help?

saltire Tue 02-Sep-08 17:07:50

In fact I need to go and see if I do still ahve themgrin

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 02-Sep-08 17:10:51

Anything here ??

Hope you had a better day MrsF

nannynick Tue 02-Sep-08 18:32:26

Cover a table in paper. Draw on a road, and let the children draw additions to the road. Make the road large enough for them to push toy cars/trucks/bus around.
Could expand by talking about road signs, then drawing those. Also talk about crossing roads - draw on different types of crossing (and also practice crossing roads in your local area).
Road signs can also be used in games, for colouring, etc. For older children, road signs can be used for symmetry. Year 4 Symmetry: Road Signs - this includes images of road signs, which could be used with younger children.

Another expansion could be to do a basic map of your local area (perhaps route to pre-school/school). Younger children could try to spot signs on the route, how many Red Cars / Blue Cars / Yellow Cars etc, they see on route.

If budget allows you could see how many different forms of transport the children can go on, in a week. Remember a buggy is a form of transport, as is a trike/bike (unless your theme is strictly Public Transport).
If you are near an air-port, you could watch the planes taking off/landing. If near an air museum, may even get to go on a plane.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 02-Sep-08 20:00:21

Brillliant idas thank you so much! if I think of anything else out of the ordinary I'll post it up Just been up to Asda and got some cars for 52p each, like matchbox ones, bargain I thought, can never have too many cars can you! also a wooden inset jigsaw with different transport on it for £1.98.

Remembered I had put away some big floor jigsaws - red bus, digger - for this got to remember where I put them though!

Also got inspiration watching a bit of Bob this afternoon, putting diggers in the sand pit

And yes had a far better day today despite having a screamer! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now