Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Rain coat - business expense?

(51 Posts)
mogs0 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:07:05

I have just bought a rather expensive winter waterproof coat. I don't drive and have a long school run everyday. If I wasn't looking after other people's children I'd be able to get lifts to and from school during bad weather and wouldn't need a good quality waterproof so I feel the coat is a justifiable expense. Any thoughts?

Anna8888 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:08:02

I don't think it is a question of thoughts but of rules.

maidamess Mon 01-Sep-08 12:09:11

Well, shoes are a justifiable expense as well. And clothes, surely?

MatNanPlus Mon 01-Sep-08 12:10:04

Do you have to itemise your expenditure on the CM tax form?

As a Maternity Nanny i have 5 boxes to fill in (whose relevent expenses seem to alter angry every beeping yr)and i could put it is one of those, if you had a badge sewn on advertising your business it would be ideal

zippitippitoes Mon 01-Sep-08 12:11:04

no it isnt

squiffy Mon 01-Sep-08 12:35:44

UK tax law: clothes are NOT a justifyable business expense. Ever. Reason, expenses have to be wholly and exclusively for purpose of running business, clothes have dual purpose of also covering modesty, protecting against elements, etc. Therefore not allowable. Hence a QC can claim for their wig, but not the suit they have to wear with it.

A clowns' costume might just get through, though...

mogs0 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:42:41

Thanks, if it helps I do look like a clown with it on!!!!!

MatNanPlus Mon 01-Sep-08 13:09:07

Tho if you buy from a uniform place it is accepted if you want to wear dentist/vet nurse/physio type clothing.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Mon 01-Sep-08 19:46:38

Anything that you have to buy that you wouldn't have bought otherwise, ie that you can justify can be put down yes. That does include clothing, and no it doesn't always have to be logoed, although if it is then it's straight away allowed.

The key is that you can explain fully why it is needed for the business if you were asked by HMRC.

This is what I was told at a course run by HMRC.

I would put it through.

spottedandstriped Mon 01-Sep-08 19:51:55

I am a tax advisor - just wanted to say that squiffy is absolutely right - "wholly and exclusively" are the words used. A raincoat would not be wholly and exclusively used for cm business - so I would say no, sorry!

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Mon 01-Sep-08 19:55:11

Could and would - there is there difference.

If that were the case then none of my toys/safety equipment, buggies etc would be able to be put through because goodness what if my nephew comes over and plays with a toy, or sits in the buggy?? No-one can prove ( especially if they have their own DCs) that anything bought for a childminding business IS wholly and exclusively used for the business!!

hatwoman Mon 01-Sep-08 19:58:34

if "wholly and exclusively" is the guide then how come my friend who is a model can claim gym membership and toiletries?

spottedandstriped Mon 01-Sep-08 19:58:41

Sadly this though is defined by case law and what squiffy was mentioning above about the barristers suit was subject to a court case where the barrister lost - the black suit was deemed to be not wholly and exclusively used for the purposes of the business. This is one of the leading cases on the subject

spottedandstriped Mon 01-Sep-08 20:00:05

hatwoman - no idea of her tax position so can't comment. Just commenting on what the basic law says.

hatwoman Mon 01-Sep-08 20:00:11

that was a geniune question btw - am interested as I've gone s-e recently (not as a model though wink)

hatwoman Mon 01-Sep-08 20:01:09

cross-posted

poppy34 Mon 01-Sep-08 20:01:46

squiffy and spotted right.. hatwoman can only assume that she hasn't had an enquiry into her tax return as that sounds bloody odd

imananny Mon 01-Sep-08 20:02:43

my hubby is se and he puts through his clothes - needs waterproofs and overalls - which i can assure you, he DOESN'T wear when out with me - his accountant said it was fine

Could you not put it down as an expense and then see what ?

chipkid Mon 01-Sep-08 20:06:34

I cannot put my black court suits through as a business expense and I sure as hell don't wear them anywhere else -so I doubt it

spottedandstriped Mon 01-Sep-08 20:12:07

See attached - good news re cm's there is a carve out from the "wholly and exclusively" rule- which I have to say is buried in the revenue manuals and I haven't seen this before!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmgmanual/html/DMG31001/070145DMG35007.htm

KatyMac Mon 01-Sep-08 20:21:33

I can't follow that link, sorry

MatNanPlus Mon 01-Sep-08 20:23:12

*Spotted's* link

KatyMac Mon 01-Sep-08 20:23:53

Yup - the page can't be found

MatNanPlus Mon 01-Sep-08 20:26:38

eek

MatNanPlus Mon 01-Sep-08 20:29:09

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now