Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Was a childminder but seemed to have lots of bad luck - anybody had similar experiences?

(11 Posts)
supermindermum Sat 30-Aug-08 23:15:21

Hi Lovley Ladies,

I just wanted to see if any of you lovley childminders have had similar luck to me. I childminded for over 2 years - gave up due to ill health (now ok).

I had numerous issues with parents, one parent made numerous demands on me ie wanted to order pacific food that I should cook from scratch, quibbled over money (wanted me to work for v. little), Rang me all the time a unsociable times, was generally rude to me. I gave her notice.
Then I had another set of parents, a few weeks after I started minding for them said they did'nt need me anymore(child was settled), I asked them for payment in lew of notice period - they gave it to me and have'nt spoke to me since - I have tried lots of times!
I looked after a little boy for over a year, seen parents recently and one was fine, really friendly - the other parent barley acknowldged me.hmmEverything was fin e when they left.

Is it me, am i doing something wrong?
Was thinking of starting up again but really is it worth the stress?

supermindermum Sun 31-Aug-08 11:47:02

Bump

supermindermum Sun 31-Aug-08 12:03:12

Just me then?smile

Shoshe Sun 31-Aug-08 12:36:50

No love, think we have all had ones like that at times, but why not give it a go again, I have had some wonderful parents, the ones I have now are great.

supermindermum Sun 31-Aug-08 15:23:32

I should have said in my original message I have had some great parents too!smile The negative experiences have put me off.sad

southernbelle77 Sun 31-Aug-08 16:31:53

I have been very lucky so far with all my parents being pretty good and not having any real problems with them. It certainly makes life easier!
I know of other minders who have had bad experiences with parents and it has made life very hard.
As Shoshe said, why not give it another go, you may get lucky this time

stellabgh Sun 31-Aug-08 16:48:53

So long as you've had some good experiences too I wouldn't imagine it's anything you've done. We all learn from our past experiences when we get a feeling that someone is going to be trouble we don't take them on.
No reason not to try again.

supermindermum Sun 31-Aug-08 17:07:38

Stellabgh,

I don't think I am a great judge of character, TBH.smile I just feel as though the negative experiences have caused me a lot of grief and heartache (too soft)blush
Foe example, have been out with my DC and have seen parents who I asked to pay me notci period (was in contract) and said hello to them and they just blanked me - more than once!angry

nannynick Sun 31-Aug-08 19:21:56

When you stop providing childcare for a family, and you then see them in the street... you can get two different reactions - 1. They say hello and perhaps chat. 2. They ignore you. It's just the way it is I find, so I wouldn't worry about it. If they owe you money, no wonder they aren't wanting to talk to you.

supermindermum Sun 31-Aug-08 22:35:43

Nannynick,

I am shocked. It is such a personal relationship looking after someone's child, is'nt it? I would have thought that they would at the very least be friendly when they see you.smile You have reassured me though that its not me. The little boy's parent who virtually ignored me was blubbing the day he left! Don't get it. Prehaps I need to look at it for what it is a job?

Love2dance Wed 08-Oct-08 14:46:30

Dear Supermindermum,

Just saw your post. You may have moved on now as it's now October, but I just wanted to say that I am not a childminder but ds (21 months) goes to one. Sorry to hear of your woes. My CM's home is a bit chaotic at times(seems to be a calling place for teenage waifs and strays!) but she is a genuine, warm woman and my ds is very happy there. We need people like you to provide care and love for our little ones, not just a stopping place when mum and dad are at work. I hope you don't get put off by those horrible people.

My CM looked after a 10m old little boy. The parents asked to pay monthly so she asked for payment in advance (perfectly reasonable I think). She is now owed about £900 and hasn't seen a penny. They have stopped bringing their child and various promises to pay have been broken. She really needs the money but puts it down to experience. I am furious that they have taken advantage of her good nature and have offered to represent her in the small claims court to try to get the money back angry.

Some people just don't get it that you are entitled to be paid properly, in time and during a notice period and have a contract with them that must be honoured. I hope you thought again and good luck smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now