Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hairloss after childbirth ( or is chipmonkey going bald?)

(12 Posts)
chipmonkey Fri 29-Aug-08 19:10:49

Had ds4 4 months ago and have noticed my hair falling out over the last week or so. There's always loads on the hairbrush ( when I get time to brush it, that is!grin) and I keep finding individual strands on my clothes. Also, if I pull it back from my face, it does look a bit sparse at the hairline. It will grow back won't it? [worried emoticon] I do remember this happening on the other ds's but I'm not sure if it was quite so much.

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 19:21:10

I had hairloss to varying degree with my 3...and it can be quite bad...but should sort itself out in time....
but why is it in childminder/nanny section????

chipmonkey Fri 29-Aug-08 19:27:19

Sorry was supposed to be in Childbirth!!!grin. Never mind my hair, my brain is obviously going too!

PeppermintPatty Fri 29-Aug-08 19:28:44

I had same - I lost quite a bit of hair when DD was 4/5 months old. I left a trail of hair wherever I went grin
I was most horrified, but my sister had the same and reassured me it was normal.
It has grown back, but I still have a short fringy bit at the front where it hasn't quite caught up with the rest of my hair (DD is 14 months).
I found a getting a haircut helped, I had about 3 inches cut off and it looked thicker and less sparse.

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 19:29:56

lol chipmonkey

WobblyPig Fri 29-Aug-08 19:31:51

It's supposed to because you hold on to more hair when pregnant then you lose the hair that would have fallen out. But also iron deficiency and thyroid problems post-pregnancy can contribute.

thequietone Fri 29-Aug-08 19:33:23

chipmonkey, I sympathise. DS2 is 6 months old now, and I'm still clutching handfuls of hair whenever I come out of the shower. Now got these nasty baby hairs along my front hairline. Had the same the first time round - shouldn't be too long before it slows down though...

PeppermintPatty Fri 29-Aug-08 19:39:38

Ooo wobbly didn't know that iron deficiency could make it worse. I was anaemic whilst/after having DD so maybe this made it worse??

MAybe go and have a blood test chipmonkey, if you are worried...

chipmonkey Fri 29-Aug-08 21:22:14

I may go and have a test. I am tired but that is due to being on MN in the small hours rather than anything else!

MrsTittleMouse Fri 29-Aug-08 21:27:46

It all grows back, but it grows back all fluffy and all the same length, so you end up with a halo effect. hmm My regrowth is just getting to a decent length as I'm getting ready to deliver DD2 and start all over again.

Mummyfor3 Fri 29-Aug-08 21:28:55

Same here. I am now 5 months post natal and ou could stuff pillows with the hair I am losing - not that you would want to grin!!

Same happened with prev 2 DC, so i know it will settle again, but what a mess...! So do not worry, blood test not a bad idea just to be sure.

bristols Fri 29-Aug-08 21:30:29

My hairloss has been quite severe with DS2. Is only just slowing down and he is just over 6 months old. My hairdresser said that it's about 6 months before it starts to slow down so there's time yet! I'm sure you'll be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now