Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Calling all CMs - what do charge and what does this include...?

(16 Posts)
misspollysdolly Fri 29-Aug-08 15:39:16

Further to my previous thread (please read it if you can) please briefly let me know the following:
(you could copy the questions below and then just answer each question v briefly)

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate?

What does this include?
Do you include food/outings in this?

What items do you ask parents to provide?

Do you write up the days' activities/

Do you do school/preschool pick-ups?

Do you charge for settlings in sessions?

I am so grateful for your responses and support. Many thanks. Misspollysdolly wink

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 29-Aug-08 15:47:24

Hourly rate £3 50 ph (rural and deprived area)

Includes all activities EXCEPT exceptional outings eg going to zoo/safari park/panto which ahppen v rarely.

Nappies/wipes/formula/meals. Usually the children bring cold food - sandwich/fruit/yoghurt. I provide snacks, water and milk. Some CM cook, some don't.

Daily diary for all pre schoolers.

Pre-school pickups are no problem, village school only for school pickup as I have to colect my own children.

No charge for settling in although I know of a couple near me who do. Again, it's all down to the CM.

HTH

smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 29-Aug-08 15:48:29

Good Lord look at all those typos blush.

How embarrassing.

alibubbles Fri 29-Aug-08 16:27:08

What is your hourly/daily Childminding rate?

*£6 - £7.50 depending on number of hours ( St Albans average £6.25)*

What does this include?

*Spare clothing, bibs, muslins, car seats, linen, bottles, cups, pushchair, wellies, slippers and a named gingham bag to store hats, gloves etc, ( but I have enough spares)

All meal, snacks, drinks, toddler group, outings*

*Yes, special diets too, home cooked fresh lunch, drop in, toddler group, outings under £5.00, but never charged any extras yet*

*Nappies and baby milk formula, suncream, calpol sachets and bum cream as we have to have individual pots, rather than one megadrum of sudacrem!*

Do you write up the days' activities

*Daily diary bought from NCMA, covers a whole year*

*If needed, and not too disruptive to other minded babies/children. mileage charged*

*Depends on how many is required and how long, no normally if just a couple of hours. Most of my colleagues charge*

alibubbles Fri 29-Aug-08 16:27:47

I tried to bold the answers but doesn't work, nor did the italics, so hope you can read it!

Tas1 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:33:23

My hourly rate is £4.50 per hr per child, But I charge by the session. I split my day into two sessions. AM = 8.30am-1pm and PM = 1pm-5.30pm
This includes local outings except very expensive outings which are agreed with parents before hand.

I provide drinks/snacks and a light lunch.
I charge £1.50 per hot evening meal if requested.

Parents provide nappies and nappy cream and sun cream, I provide wipes, muslin cloths, nappy sacks. If the mindee is still bottle fed, parents provide bottles and formula etc.

I pick up and drop off at local playgroups and at my daughters primary school.

I provide all my own equipment such as high chairs, pram, buggies, car seats & booster seats etc.

I do not charge for a setteling in period.

I provide a daily communication book.

I am not paid in advance but at the end of the month. I charge a retainer fee of £20 per week for mindees I only have in the holidays.

Hope this helps smile

OFSTEDoutstanding Fri 29-Aug-08 16:35:41

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? £3.30 an hour. Minimum charge of £10 per day

What does this include?
Everything except nappies

Yes all food drinks snacks included. Outing to toddler groups etc included but if going further afield to soft play in holidays or skating with older ones will ask for entrance fee plus maybe £2 towards their lunch if we are eating out and not taking a picnic.

Nappies and a change of clothes Suncream in the summer.

Do you write up the days' activities/
Yes all mindees get a report esp important for the babies and the older ones that say not much when asked what we have done today!

Yes

I offer one settling in session of a couple of hours for free and then 2 weeks settling in is included in the contract where either parent or myself can walk away at any time with no notice required.

Hope that helps

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Fri 29-Aug-08 16:39:15

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? £3.25 - all areas of the UK have a different average though so don't set any store by answers to this one!

What does this include?
Drinks and snacks, wipes, nappy bags etc small outings, like softplay, toddler group

What items do you ask parents to provide? bottles, baby food, nappies, wipes if have to be certain ones

Do you write up the days' activities?
Yes everyone under 3yo gets a diary automatically, over that, if the parents want it.

Do you do school/preschool pick-ups? preschool I do yes, "big" school no, I don't want to care for older children

Do you charge for settlings in sessions? no I don't.

PinkChick Fri 29-Aug-08 16:40:37

HIya Chick..hope you can resolve this with her?smile

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? £3.00 per hour full time (40hrs) £4.00 per hour part time

What does this include? if here a full day it includes morning and afternoon snack, unlimited milk/water/juice and lunch, babies need to bring(or rather their parentssmile) bottles made up, nappies, wipes, cream, nappy bags, every one needs to bring change of clothes (accidents) and suncream in summer plus sun hats or wellies weather dependant. I have towels and everything else which I wash each day.

Do you include food/outings in this? again if all day lunch is inc, i do charge extra if they want breakfast or dinner (but then my rate is much lower than what your charges!?), outings are paid for by me for every child unless they are expensive(entry fee's/long train/bus journey to get there)

What items do you ask parents to provide? again nappies, wipes, creams, bags, milk or special food (baby or dietry needs) and change of clothes thats it

Do you write up the days' activities every child has a daily diary which gets filled in every day to let parents know what their children have been doing/eaten/slept/poopedsmile etc

Do you do school/preschool pick-ups? yes but only from one schoo as all my current mindees go there and no other schools are local enough for me to be able to collect at different one withou being late. I have 6 trips there and back to school every day..walking..in rain and snow!smile

NOPE!

smile

Shoshe Fri 29-Aug-08 17:26:06

Polly would you like to see a copy of my handbook? I have a copy that I give out to Mentoring CM's, that has no personal details on it.

I am in Dorset, but it might give you a good idea of what I mentor my 'gals' with.

I am on nanny475 @ hotmail dot com.

chankins Fri 29-Aug-08 20:41:04

I charge £4 per hour, in dorset, most around here charge from £3.80 to £4.50.
Mine includes all playgroups and outings
I provide one free meal per day if wanted
I also provide free fruit for their morning snack
I do school runs and nursery pickups
Parents provide chanhe of clothes (though I do keep loads of spares too)
nappies and wipes, creams, suncream, snacks etc, other meals if they have more than one here.
Yes I do a daily diary for each child which records their arrival and departure time, snacks food and drinks consumed, what they have been doing, what their mood has been, any milestones/achievements/comments, and toileting/nappy changing
I don't charge for settling in periods and am happy to offer as many as parents require to feel comfortable with the arrangement.

I think its great you've been so honest with your cm, and if your gut feeling is a good one, then stick with it. It does sound like others have given her bad advice, and I know many occasions when this has happened to people.
Good luck !

Debs75 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:35:09

Would just like to add go with your gut instincts and don't feel guilty for her if you decide not to use her. You need the cm but do you really need one who is unexperienced and who makes you feel anxious. Personally i would keep looking, i would prefer to have to travel a few miles and feel secure theat my kids were well looked after.

SammyK Sat 30-Aug-08 20:20:53

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? - £2.65 p.h

What does this include? - Breakfasts, snacks, drinks, outings, toys, stationary, towels, flannels and their laundry costs, etc.
Do you include food/outings in this? - Only food not included are lunch and tea, provide thse for £1 each. I pay outing costs myself.

What items do you ask parents to provide? - Nappies, wipes, a full change of clothing to be left at the setting just in case.

Do you write up the days' activities? - Yes, daily diary with pictures/draings by mindee, write up of day, photos every other day. Printed and added end of each month.

Do you do school/preschool pick-ups? - Yes

Do you charge for settlings in sessions? - No

stellabgh Sat 30-Aug-08 20:53:21

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? £6, St Albans

What does this include? Lunch, drinks snacks, small outings

Do you include food/outings in this? as above

What items do you ask parents to provide? Change of clothes, nappies etc

Do you write up the days' activities/ No

Do you do school/preschool pick-ups? Yes

Do you charge for settlings in sessions? No

hennipenni Sat 30-Aug-08 21:13:47

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? £2.85 in Nottingham

What does this include?

Snacks, drinks, Breakfast and dinner if required. Toddler trips, pushchairs,high chairs etc

As above except for the bigger outings i.e childrens farms,cinemas etc, also don't provide lunch as have a very tight schedule due to nursery runs.

Nappies, wipes, suncream, bum cream, spare clothes

Do you write up the days' activities

yes until parents stop returning the diaries

Yes but only at the school my children attend

No

Kewcumber Sat 30-Aug-08 21:42:41

Not a CM but parent using one:

What is you hourly/daily Childminding rate? £5 per hour £50 for standard ie 10 hr day (but SW london so on the higher end of national rates)

What does this include? Do you include food/outings in this? Breakfast lunch tea snacks and drinks, basic playgroups (but not expensive stuff like tumble tots)

What items do you ask parents to provide? Nappies, wipes, suncream, spare clothes

Do you write up the days' activities/ No but to be fair I haven;t asked - we have a chat on the doorstep when I pick up.

Do you do school/preschool pick-ups? Yes if it fits in with her childrne/other mindees.

Do you charge for settlings in sessions? not for basic ones ie I think 1 two hr session one moring one three quarter day. I wanted a slightly longer handover of 3/4 days and I paid for those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now