Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My lovely new nanny is stranded at Victoria Station -- anyone know where she could store luggage for the next 12 hours??

(23 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 11:31:55

Some of you will have read on here that she left her (horrid) previous employers this morning on two days notice from them to get out. The only she had done to upset was resign because they were paying her some £80 per week cahs in hand for a 50 hour a week nanny job... Can't imagine why she was unhappy.

Anyway, she has left the house. She is coming back to my house with me tonight after my MN meet-up, but that won't be until about midnight. She is at Victoria Station now. I am wondering there is somewhere she can store her luggage so that she can at least go out and bum around London for awhile. I really don't want her to have to sit at Victoria Station for 12 hours!!!

Any ideas anyone has would be most welcome.

Thanks!!

fridayschild Fri 29-Aug-08 11:33:46

Has the left luggage facility at Victoria Station been closed then?

QuintessentialShadow Fri 29-Aug-08 11:34:00

ummm, call the station and ask?

AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 11:34:14

BTW, her job with me doesn't start for two more weeks. I have stepped in to give her a place to stay because they kicked her out.

AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 11:36:59

Am at work. Phone calls not so easy.

sagacious Fri 29-Aug-08 11:37:02

London Victoria Station

Left Baggage Office
Main Concourse - Platform 8
Victoria Station
Victoria Street
London SW1 Tel: 020 7963 0957
Fax: 020 7963 0957

Opening Hours: Mon-Sun 0700-2300
Rail Station Information

hth

imananny Fri 29-Aug-08 11:38:16

doesnt victoria station have lockers?

ifnot could she maybe go for a meal in a resturant/pub and see if she could leave her luggage there - or is that too risky?

cupsoftea Fri 29-Aug-08 11:42:34

Could she leave it at your work?

WideWebWitch Fri 29-Aug-08 11:45:32

Is there anyone near you (cleaner?) who has a key to your house? Could she go there, get the key, leave her stuff and move in this afternoon. Presumably she's been there and you're expecting her?

AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 11:52:47

She is at Victoria Station. We live in Sunbury. My work (where I am now) is in Brentford. So nothing is convenient to her.

Coincidentally, I am leaving early today and will pass through Vicroia. So, I can meet her then and put her bags in storage. And, she can come to the City Gals meet-up, if she wants to.

She has no money and just a credit card. I am assuming the baggage check place does not take credit cards.

AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 11:53:18

Vicroia=Victoria

cupsoftea Fri 29-Aug-08 11:55:06

could you cancel the meet up?

WideWebWitch Fri 29-Aug-08 11:56:27

Can you meet her at Victoria and give her some money to get to your house and a key? Won't dh be there to say hello to her?

And then you won't have to take nanny home with you post meet up and she gets to your house with her stuff.

sagacious Fri 29-Aug-08 11:56:30

Cashback from credit card?

AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 12:03:02

If she meets me for the meet-up (which is very close to Victoria) then we can each lug a suitcase home from the train. If she goes to my house now, she'll have to lug them herself. And I think current nanny and kids are probably not home. Don't know if DH is home. He might be wrking from home today. But he is the most anti social being on the planet and will not give her a big warm welcome. At best would plonk her in the living room and leave her staring at the walls. She has no room to go to because it still belongs to current nanny. I am confident a night out with mumsnetters will be much more fun. smile

AtheneNoctua Fri 29-Aug-08 12:34:51

Ok, she has checked her bags now (which obviously I will pay to pick up later). So at least she is free to roam around London for now.

Oh God, she probably doesn't have any lunch money... Well, she is going to have to wait until 4:00. Don't know what else I can do there.

Thanks everyone for the advice, and especially for the information on the Left Baggage place.

catepilarr Fri 29-Aug-08 15:31:32

there is also left luggage in victoria coach station, should anyone need it. its in the departure hall , i guess somewhere around platform 8?

Lucy87 Sat 30-Aug-08 03:54:08

What responsible adult couldn't work this out for themselves?

I'd be mortified phoning my prospective employer asking them what I should do with my bag. As for having 0 money, that seems odd to me also?!

She doesn't sound terribly resourceful / organized.

jura Sat 30-Aug-08 11:56:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AtheneNoctua Sat 30-Aug-08 18:41:42

Jeez, Lucy, that must be a contender for least sympathetic post ever.

She didn't actually call me to tell me she was stranded. She texted me to say "see you at mignight" I replied and asked her where she was and if she had somewhere to go that day. She said she had too much luggage to lug around would just stay put and not to worry about it. I am the one who said that was not accceptable and I was not going to leave her sitting in Victoria Station for 12 hours on a Friday night.

Actually, this has turned out to be a huge advantage for me. I normally take a day off work to show the new nanny around, do the school run, and so on. But, I won't have to now because old nanny and new nanny appear to be quite happy to go hang out.

hatrick Sat 30-Aug-08 18:52:50

Message withdrawn

hatrick Sat 30-Aug-08 18:53:32

Message withdrawn

Simplyme Sat 30-Aug-08 20:40:48

Glad you managed to have a nice night out with her. I'm sure she is very greatful to you and will prove it by being a good au-pair in return. I would never have left her stranded there either and considering the situation she was in think it is very callous to question her resourcefulness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now