Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM - Warning of new scam: Apologies if this is duplicated elsewhere

(7 Posts)
NumberFour Thu 28-Aug-08 18:28:01

The Surrey County Childminding Association recently issued the following notice:
We have been alerted by other FIS's within the country to the following scam.

"A Childminder from Peasenhall rang earlier, her daughter answered the telephone to a man who first of all told her daughter he was from CIS then when the phone was passed over he said he was a police officer. He told her not to be alarmed when he said he was a police officer and that he knew Childminders had to be inspected by the police and Ofsted. He wanted her to pay £195 to have an advert placed in a magazine that would be distributed to all houses in her postcode area. He didn't give the name of the 'magazine'. The CM said 'sorry I'm full I don't need to advertise'. She dialled 1471 and message was 'caller withheld number'."

"I thought I would make you aware of a telephone call I had today from a childminder in Needham Market. She received a phone call from a gentleman called Rob who said he worked for the Police on the Community Aware magazine. He told the childminder that she was one of 6 childminder in the area who had been specially selected to be asked if they wanted to advertise in the magazine. The cost quoted was £145 and she was told if she signed up now she wouldn't be charged till the end of August. The childminder declined and contacted me to let me know of the approach, as she was unsure whether it was a scam."

Regards,
Sue Monk - Senior Childminding Development Officer
Surrey County Council
Early Years & Childcare Service

(SCCMA has given me permission to cut and paste!)

southernbelle77 Thu 28-Aug-08 18:45:21

Thanks for letting us know

nannynick Thu 28-Aug-08 18:57:35

I used to get this kind of thing quite often when I worked in marketing for a small company. We ended up having a policy of never saying yes to advertising arrangements over the phone to a caller we did not call ourselves.
So best advise is, always say no. If you want to advertise in a magazine, get hold of a copy of it and call the advertising enquiries number.

juneybean Thu 28-Aug-08 21:32:53

I don't know if it's true or not but I work in the restaurant business and we get people working on behalf of the police for their magazine and the guy was so offensive to me and my colleague our boss eventually took the call and used several profanities I shan't repeat! He hasn't rang back since! :D

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Fri 29-Aug-08 11:00:56

It's not a scam as such, it does apparently exist but they are very expensive and very umm... contrary shall I say?! Steer clear!

bigdonna Fri 29-Aug-08 21:41:20

i got the same phone call!!!!!

HarrietTheSpy Sat 30-Aug-08 15:08:15

This thing was on that TV show 'The Hustler.' They were targeting restaurants in Islington.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now