Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How long on average do nannies/au pairs stay with a family?

(21 Posts)
VoluptuaGoodshag Thu 28-Aug-08 14:03:43

Just curious.

Aniyan Thu 28-Aug-08 14:09:10

Our nanny was with us from when ds was 10 months to when he started school - so would have been just over 4 years.

She was lovely and we miss her!

fridayschild Thu 28-Aug-08 14:20:07

We had a nanny for 12 months, and then she went on maternity leave. Our next nanny was with us for 3.5 years, and then she went on maternity leave. We have had our new nanny for two months now (she was in her previous job for 7 years).

I employ nannies who I think will stay for a long time. Continuity of care is important to me.

Other people have different views, obviously, and I'm sure you'll get them all!

mogs0 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:12:53

My first nanny job lasted 2 years. My 2nd lasted 3.5yrs (then I had a baby) since then I've struggled to find a child to look after long term although most of my childminded children were with me at least a year.

jura Thu 28-Aug-08 17:06:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stars22 Thu 28-Aug-08 18:05:41

Im a nanny and i have been in my current job for 4 years and am leaving in october because youngest is going to school.

VoluptuaGoodshag Thu 28-Aug-08 18:21:43

Interesting. I don't have one myself but I know of someone who is on his fourth au pair in a year. Don't know the circumstances mind you but I did get the impression that they accepted this as normal

Millarkie Thu 28-Aug-08 18:55:32

Voluptua - a lot of au pairs only want to stay for 2-3 months so 4 in a year wouldn't be that unusual. We've managed to find one who intends to stay for 5 months thankfully.

We've had 1 nanny for just over a year - then we moved miles away (although tbh if we weren't moving house we would have terminated her contract for other reasons). Current nanny works school holidays only - have employed her for over a year but last day is tomorrow She is going to her proper job (teaching) but has recommended us to her sister who is looking for holiday work now she's at Uni (hurrah!)
And we now have an au pair who has lasted almost 2 weeks so far

Simplyme Thu 28-Aug-08 19:02:35

I'm a nanny and my average is 2 years. I am looking to leave current job early next year so will be 2.5 years in total. I think it depends on wether you have a nanny or au pair. Also I think live out nannies tend to stay longer than live in. I would prob stay longer with my current family but am fed up with being live in and not having my own space.

nannynick Thu 28-Aug-08 19:04:09

One job I had lasted a year (parents decided they didn't need a nanny as all 3 children we by then at school). Another job was 3 years... I choose to leave for a better job.
Not sure there is an average as such, though I hope to be in a job for several years, not just a few weeks/months.

Issy Thu 28-Aug-08 19:07:21

For the pre-school years we had live-in nannies and they stayed between one and two years. They were, with one exception, Antipodean so generally wanted to return home after a year or so. Our first au pair couple has stayed with us for one year and they are leaving and a new au pair couple arriving on Sunday. <Gulp>

VoluptuaGoodshag Thu 28-Aug-08 19:14:04

That would make sense I suppose. Although the au-pairs are live in, they are all young and foreign so head back home after only a few months I guess.

nannyL Thu 28-Aug-08 19:39:00

have stayed with all my previouse families until the youngest child started full time school

all being well i have every intention of staying with my current family until youngest starts school too smile (ie another 2 years unless a baby comes along)

imananny Thu 28-Aug-08 20:28:05

i tend to stay in jobs for 4/5 years till youngest goes to school, and then I leave - 2 jobs wanted me to stay and i would have still be paid same amount, but I refused as I would have been bored with no children all day, and 3rd job told me job would end when youngest at school - they refused to pay a full time nanny to do nothing - which is fair enough

ilovethecake Fri 29-Aug-08 02:04:33

Hi, i have just finished a job that i was in for 7 years, but before that i have been in most of my nanny jobs for 3 years!! I guess if you find yourself a fab job then why leave? I managed to find a part time nanny job just for school hours, so i wasn't bored when my main charges were in full time school!! A friend of mine stayed in her job for 12 years, but i couldn't have done that as she then became their housekeeper!!grin

wellbalanced Fri 29-Aug-08 09:20:48

Ive had 2 jobs that have done birth to sch 4/5yrs, and some temp jobs that vary 6mth-2yrs, been in present job 2.5yrs but just found out im pregnant so will have been there nearly 3yrs before take mat leave then i HOPE to go back.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 29-Aug-08 09:24:16

Had our first nanny for 5 years and our second for 9 years. She worked for us full time initially then went part-time, which also coincided with her having her first baby, so it worked out well for us both.

She stayed with us until my dc were able to be left on their own.

callaird Sat 30-Aug-08 12:16:25

I am a nanny, my jobs have been 2 years, 2 years, 2 years, 9 months (temp position for 3 months, but got extended), 4 1/2 years, 3 years, 2 years, 5 years and my current job which I have been in for 7 months and they want me to stay for at least 5 years! (We'll see)

I think it depends on the position, the parents, the nanny and how they all get on, trust me, it is very rarely the kids!!

imananny Sat 30-Aug-08 12:39:41

very true callaid

you can train children,but you cant train parents, wink so if you get on well with the parents then it will be a great job

Simplyme Sat 30-Aug-08 14:57:20

I have stayed in my jobs for approx 2 years but my last few jobs have all been temps so not so great looking on cv.

Current job is 2 years and I want to move on purely to get out of big city and have more personal space else I would have stayed longer.

It is down a lot to the parents and yours relationship but I also think it is down to the nanny. I find as I have gotten older my desire to stay put has stayed the same. It is hard to keep changing, all that registering with GPs Dentist, bills and accounts change of address etc etc I'm starting to get feds up with all that now and want to stay put longer. I also have lost the travelling/living abroad desire I had years ago and want to settle in UK near my family.

Lol I sound old and I'm only 27 he he he

frannikin Mon 01-Sep-08 10:17:47

I have just started a new job and plan to stay for about 2 - 2,5 years but not longer. I'm a live in nanny in Belgium, although I'm British, so that probably makes a difference as I can see myself wanting to either live out or go back to Britain (or both).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now