Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Annoying article in the The Times today

(3 Posts)
LittleDorrit Thu 28-Aug-08 12:17:06

I found this article very annoying at so many different levels:

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/camilla_cavendish/article4622018.ece

It makes a few valid and interesting points, but it is also inaccurate in implying that there is something new about having formal or informal childcare arrangements. I also hate the implication that it's a choice that mothers make for purely selfish reasons(that's how I read it at least). Funny how fathers are not even mentioned in this article...

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 28-Aug-08 13:31:50

I read it differently. Our au pair leaves on Friday and I agree with many of her points. Although I work full time, we have very different attitudes and values to the parents mentioned in the article. Agree re the fathers...during our au pair gap, it will be my husband who does the majority of the extra childcare - but not all!!

wasabipeanut Thu 28-Aug-08 13:42:57

I read this on the way to work. Like mumof22222boys I read it more positively although i do agree with your fathers comment.

I can see why it would raise hackles but she makes some valid points about formal childcare and what seems to be, in a few cases, the complete outsourcing of children, weekends and all. I was quite surprised by the anecdotes about other parents of her acquaintance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now