Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking after a child

(6 Posts)
MingMingtheWonderPet Wed 27-Aug-08 21:20:55

A friend has asked me to look after her 3 yo DD one afternoon every week after pre-school. It will prob be for about 4 hours. Friend will be at work.
I am v hesistant. As i understand it I would need to be a registered childminder, or am I wrong about that?
I would also need to bring the child home from pre-school in my car, and then have her in my home along with my own DD.
The 'friend' is little more than an acquaintance that I have met at the school gates, and tbh it seems a bit strange that she is asking. She has never even seen my house!
Any info that I can give her would be great, perhaps she is unaware of the guidelines herself?

NumberFour Thu 28-Aug-08 09:01:27

If she is paying you, then yes, you will have to be registered as a childminder.
You are right in being cautious about the whole matter. If anything happened to her daughter while she was in your care, you would be responsible. I would not do so if I was you witout being registered (and thus insured).

PinkChick Thu 28-Aug-08 09:05:48

shock. my first thought was that shes taking a lend!..second...shes only an aquaintence!!!!!!..sorry no offence meant to you, but who on earth would leave their child with someone they dont know well!shock

yes for 4 hours a day you would need to be a reg childminder, you would have no insurance should anything happen, you wouldnt be coverd for accidents etc this one sets alarm bells ringing to mehmm

Booh Thu 28-Aug-08 09:10:54

I would just say no and give her the childrens information service details and tell her she needs to find a childminder

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 28-Aug-08 09:29:09

Thankyou all for your responses. Interesting what you said about insurance, you can never be too careful when looking after children. Let's fae it we might well be best friends with a person, but if our child was hurt while in their care we would all want to know how and why.
Must be strong and say 'no'.
TBH my DD is pretty tired after pre-school so I can see the whole thing being pretty stressful anyway!

Stars22 Thu 28-Aug-08 18:18:09

If you wanted to do it if it was practical you could do it in her house because then it would be like you were a part time nanny. But if you arn't being paid then i don't see why you would have to be a childminder/registered as it would be just like a playdate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now