Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Some questions for childminders - please help me

(3 Posts)
pudding25 Wed 27-Aug-08 09:14:38

I am due to go back to work in Jan and I am trying to sort out childcare for dd who will be nearly 8 mths when I go back.
As far as I am aware, childminders are only allowed to look after one child under the age of 1. Is that right?
How do you deal with all the different age groups. E.g, if you have 1 baby, 2 yr old, 3 yr old and do school drop offs, how to you plan activities for all the different age groups? Are you able to stick to a baby's current routines? What do you do if one of the toddlers is playing up and the baby is screaming?
What do you do if their is some kind of accident or emergency if you are on your own?

NumberFour Wed 27-Aug-08 09:53:37

Hi, Pudding (LOL! my nickname when I was in junior school!)

Yes, a CM would only be allowed to look after one child under the age of 1 unless she or he has special dispensation - say, twins, or for continuity of care when looking after siblings.

A CM would usually have some kind of routine for the day, taking into account what needs to be done (school runs, lunch, sleep routines etc) and then other activities are usually fitted in around those or centred on those (a school run may include a trip to the park and so on).

Each childminder has to work within certain legal parametres (sp?) but they run their own businesses so the actual day to day operations would be up to the CM to decide.

A CM may be able to "stick to a baby's current routine" if they do not have other children or if their current routine allows it or if they are willing / able to adapt their current routing to take the new baby's routine into account. Some will, some won't, some could, some couldn't. You may find that you have found the CM of your dreams but that your routines are different from yours so you will have to decide whether to take him or her on and have your LO's routine adapted or whether you will choose a CM you are not 110% happy with but who is able to do what you need / want etc.

Each CM should have a policy on Accidents and Emergency and should have emergency back up. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the policy need not be a written one.

I would recommend that you talk to 3, 4 maybe 5 childminders in their own homes to see what is on offer where you are based. Childminding is such a personal thing because of the nature of the work involved and because of the home environment.

I hope that this has answered some of your questions. I have no doubt that other childminders would give different opinions!

Good luck..... I am sure you will find the right one for your child.

pudding25 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:53:15

Thank you! I will have a look into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now