Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM and holidays

(9 Posts)
Acinonyx Tue 26-Aug-08 22:29:37

I switched from nursery to CM in June. I asked at that time if CM would be taking any holiday and she said no. We then took holiday for visiting family in July, and just as I was leaving for a week in August she told me that she would be taking 2 weeks in early Sep (so 3 weeks notice).

I'm just wondering what other people do in this situation. More notice would be good but actually wouldn't solve the problem that I have no other childcare. Dh will be overseas for the first week and has already taken a lot of holiday this summer. I work from home so fortunately I don't have to be somewhere 9-5 - but I still have to make up the work somehow.

How much notice is usual and what do parents generally do in this situation? I'm very happy with CM wrt dd, but she does tend to be a bit scatty at keeping me informed.

Izzybel Tue 26-Aug-08 22:40:05

Is she in a network of other CMs? I think most of the time CMs are placed in a network with others and one of the other CMs will be cover for when your CM is on holiday/sick etc. I could be wrong though as other CMs may be up to their limits in terms of numbers...

Acinonyx Tue 26-Aug-08 23:14:57

I don't know Izzy - but I will ask her.

PinkChick Wed 27-Aug-08 08:59:34

it should say in your contract what she can/may take BUT it wil also say a period of time in which she will let you know when/how long she will take..if i get a last minute (and by last minute, i mean in 3-4 weeks time, not next day) i dont charge my normal half fees..i dont think its ethical to do so IF she says she will give you longer notice

Acinonyx Wed 27-Aug-08 10:23:27

I can't find the paperwork right now hmm but I think it says one month's notice to be given. Which I now realise is not enough to sort out alternative cover. I have a massive deadine looming so this is pretty bad news for me.

PinkChick Wed 27-Aug-08 10:49:40

but if it says one month it could be calendar or 4 weekly, either way she has only given you 3, so she has not stuck to her contract!..im not saying she shouldnt be able to take it, but she shouldnt charge you whaever she is planning too given that she hasnt give you as much notice as she states she will.

Mine says min of 4 weeks notice, but i planned my summer hol in dec and we dont go till next month, however we have last week booked a weekend in centerparcs end of nov..still plenty of notice,parents affected will be informed this week..your cm IS allowed to book hols as and when she wants but notice is the done thing.

Ripeberry Wed 27-Aug-08 11:08:49

This problem is the main reason why as a CM i WONT be offering holiday cover, my DH would really not like being told when to have HIS holidays with his familly.

Acinonyx Wed 27-Aug-08 11:19:35

Of course cm can take holidays like anyone else. But I really wonder how a lot of people can use a CM if they have no other childcare as a back-up. In many regular 9-5 jobs you can't rely on being able to take 2 particular weeks - especially with only 4 weeks notice. I guess i'm thinking ahead to next year when I may not be as flexible and able to work from home.

Ripeberry - we don't want to be told when to take most of our holiday either. Just not sure what to do about this in future.

PinkChick Wed 27-Aug-08 13:30:03

No one is told when they can/cant have their holidays, a cm like everyone else (should) give you as much notice as poss of theirs, i try and work around my parents but with more part timers now, its not possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now