Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

NVQ3: How inequalities are embedded in our society in all geographical areas

(18 Posts)
SammyK Tue 26-Aug-08 20:31:33

hmm

Now straight away I was hmm and my text book seems to agree with me! It states that as people in a good salary/ secure job can choose their lifesttyle and good location to live, they access more than those in high density housing on a low income.

Am I missing something?? Surely this means inequalities are not in all geographical areas?!

gooseegg Tue 26-Aug-08 21:38:00

Is this part of an essay title Sammy?

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-08 21:39:46

blimey

umm

How about things like parental health/own health/environment (poor area in London vs poor rea in rural south wales/inadequent health care/poor schools

I'll eep thinking

tigana Tue 26-Aug-08 21:47:21

Ah, think about rural areas. Cornwall for example. Holiday homes in Rock etc, big country houses/estates - The relativly rich choose to live there, can afford transport, nice house, commute to work.
Particularly in the west of cornwall it can be fairly grim. Less choice to life there, born there, can't afford a house anywhere so living with family/rent/council etc. Often poor housing.
seasonal employment
poor transport and access to services

Peachy Tue 26-Aug-08 21:50:29

But inequalities are in all geographical areas.

People in expensive areas are not all high earners; for a start there will be a number of pensioners who bought their house there but are now on a limited income; also there will be those who inherited a house from family but are in a lower socio-ecnomic group. Then areas with high income residents tend to support a large number of minimum wage workers, such as cleaners and Nanny's, who rent locally but live on the breadline.

As for the south wales thing- the rural poor are different perhaps but it's not an ewasy palce to be. If you live in a rural area and on a low income, you can often not access cheap food from supermarkets, you need to supporta car due to a lack of public trnasport, even a hospital trip might take an hour and fuel. This can tend to palce people further into the poverty trap. Yet people are not always rich to access these areas- many are born there (but often priced to the worst accomodation due to high property csts) or become single aprents, retaining property but becoming poor in the process.

And then there's different inequalities- healthcare for example; IIRC Wales is worse for the cancer postcode lottery; and there's inequalities sucha s people in denser areas are often able to access educational and cultutral resources that aren't available if you ave to pay a stonking amount just to get t them, let alone pay entrance on arrival.

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-08 21:52:31

Peachy - Your answer is better than mine <<but I am stressed>>

Peachy Tue 26-Aug-08 22:00:17

LOL Katy, what's up?

For the essay- if yu are going to do comparisons, consider comparing to a rural ward on the depreivation index; there's Victoria Ward or Hamp in Bridgwater - Somerset but still poverty hit. I imagine you will find the wards share much with inner city areas (would be interestng to compare crme rates, educational attainment, mortality etc)

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-08 22:02:38

I'm in London

& shaky

here

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 26-Aug-08 22:03:17

Erm I am almost afraid to ask - which Unit Sammy ??

Am starting Unit 4 in September << eek >>

gooseegg Tue 26-Aug-08 22:17:27

Ok - am assuming it's looking for a childcare angle so you could perhaps add the difficulties in all areas for parents with children who have disabilities. How hard it can be for them to access equality of care and education.
Or how working women from all areas can be discriminated against by employers and society during pregnancy and motherhood.
Or how low income parents (especially single parents) and children can be trapped in poverty by national government policy (tax credits).
Think about the issues that might relate to equal opportunity or anti discriminatory policy.

SammyK Tue 26-Aug-08 22:23:34

Sorry it is for unti 305, I am answering it as part of written knowledge.

I found some useful, yet depressing information here.

I have managed it I think grin There are inequalitites in all areas of the country. Low income, vs good salary/steady job. Poverty is the biggest inequality which affects our lives.

I have looked at healthcare, education, job prospects, access to services such as health care, good quality and value food, leisure and recreation opportunities.

DS is at my mum's so donned my study hat. Should have had tomorro too but workin 8am-7pm now. hmm

Thanks all for your replies. smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 26-Aug-08 22:26:28

smile

SammyK Tue 26-Aug-08 22:27:03

I live inner city, industrial area BTW in Hull, and this has just made me all indignant at the injust of it all! As a child care provider it is about breaking the cycle, equal ops for all mindees, accessing family services for them and providing super duper early years care. grin

Good luck tomorro KM smile

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-08 22:29:14

Thanks

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-08 22:29:25

Thanks

Tinda Sat 27-Sep-08 07:26:39

Hi there
I am doing my SVQ 3 and have come to a bit of a standstill with this question. Have you had any more ideas.

SammyK Sat 27-Sep-08 10:25:10

Hi tinda, I basically just wrote it out as though I was talking to someone if that makes sense? I looked in my textbook at the points mentioned, and my link above has good information. My summary was that poverty is the biggest inequality in our society. This obviously then affects where you live (geographical area) and what you can access.

HTH

Also the silkysteps forum is really helpful too for hints and tips. smile

SammyK Sat 27-Sep-08 10:26:27

Oh I forgot - the people who are living in poverty in the UK are people most likely to experience discrimination angry - have a look in text book if you haven't already covered this. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now