Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare for older children when starting secondary school

(10 Posts)
charlieblue Tue 26-Aug-08 14:19:22

how do working parents deal with the transition to secondary school? My DD is just about to go into year 6 and for 3 nights per week will use the after school club attached to her primary school. However, she'll start secondary school next year and I'm already panicking about what to do re after school care as school will finish around 3.30 and she'd be home around 4. DH or I are usually back from work by 5.30 so there is an hour and a half to fill.

What do others do?

captainmummy Tue 26-Aug-08 14:44:44

I think a lot of people think that 12 is a not-unreasonable age to be left for 1.5 - 2 hours. It's not ideal but I know my dc only want to sit in front of the TV/playstation and so long as they have strong rules (no friends home/no answering the door and a good neighbour if they do have a problem) are quite happy to just veg for a while.

Libra Tue 26-Aug-08 15:22:54

We have an au pair.

She looks after both DS1 and his younger brother when they come home from school, but it's more like she is just a friend to the older one, rather than a child carer.

I agree that childcare for an older child can be difficult to manage otherwise. Is there a friendly neighbour who would agree to be a point of contact in an emergency?

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 26-Aug-08 17:05:15

I have had a couple of mindees leave because they are starting secondary school TBH the parents feel that they can cope for an hour a day on their own and also there are so many clubs at the secondary school near us they only go home to an empty house twice a week as they do clubs the rest of the time.

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 26-Aug-08 17:05:45

I have had a couple of mindees leave because they are starting secondary school TBH the parents feel that they can cope for an hour a day on their own and also there are so many clubs at the secondary school near us they only go home to an empty house twice a week as they do clubs the rest of the time.

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 26-Aug-08 17:05:45

imananny Tue 26-Aug-08 17:26:12

I feel that children of 12 will be ok home alone for an hour or two - they can veg and have a snack and then tackle their homework

Maybe they could text you when they are home ,to begin with so that you know they are home safe and sound

if possible its good to have two good friends/neighbours who are happy to be on call if need be

RachieB Tue 26-Aug-08 17:28:46

my eldest now 12.5 yrs,goes home and waits until i return

by the time he gets home its 4.15pm (or 5.15pm if he has a group / club)

so only 1 or 2 hrs til i get home

he is very sensible and trustworthy,and we live in a quiet cul de sac so i dont have a problem in leaving him

and he quite likes the quiet time without myself and his little brother there ! lol

ihatebikerides Tue 26-Aug-08 17:33:39

Agree with RachieB. I work 3 days a week and he is fine about it. He arrives home just before 4 and I'm usually back by 5.30. But now DD, who's going into Y6, wants to do it too, starting now. I've said no, primarily because they'll bicker and squabble. Come Year 7 though, I'll have to grin and bear it. Or maybe they'll get on beuatifully by then <hopeful>

charlieblue Tue 26-Aug-08 20:35:02

that's a relief TBH - I'd been starting to think along these lines but wasn't sure. Think I'll wait til nearer the time and do a few trial runs to make sure she doesn't trash the place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now