Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help - all childminders...what would you REALLY appreciate as a leaving gift...???

(31 Posts)
JolieGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 11:38:15

DS1 leaving CM this week to start preschool. He has been with her 18 months and she is fab, he is immensely fond of her and vice versa. Really want to say thank you and buy her something she would appreciate. Is this the 'done thing' first off??!!

If so, then I am stuck. I don't really know much about her personal life ie hobbies or interests, she is married with 4 kids of her own so that takes up all her time I imagine. I would say she is not bothered by the fancy things in life, but then nor do I want to go down the bottle wine/chocs/hand cream route. Bit yawny. Budget up to £50 ish. Any bright ideas?

mumlove Tue 26-Aug-08 11:47:12

I would love some time to go out for a lovely meal with DH (childfree), You could also offer to babysit an evening for her.

PinkChick Tue 26-Aug-08 11:50:03

you sound lovely..3 of my indees have left recently and ive not even had a thankshmm..despite getting along great with every one of the paretns!

how about a pamper/treatment in voucher form so she can choose when she can use it?..somewere nice but local so not to much hassle getting kids minded herself or getting theresmile..I heart parents like yousmile

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 26-Aug-08 16:14:21

An ornament that I could keep forever to remind me of mindee whenever I looked at it.

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 26-Aug-08 17:02:48

I agree with PinkChick a Thanks would probably mean the world to her I have also had mindees leave recently and they walked out the door after looking up my stairs and around the hallway to see if I had got them something! (I had BTW but they didn't even give me a thank you and one mindee I have had for over 18 months)

lindseyfox Tue 26-Aug-08 18:31:54

maybe a voucher for local restaurant then offer to babysit one eve so they can go.

Stars22 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:38:39

Im a nanny so maybe its a bit different with a childminder not sure but when i leave i would really like a nice picture of the children in a frame and a thank you letter from the parents.

JolieGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 18:45:48

Thank you all so much! I love the idea of the meal out however all her children are 13+ so I don't think the babysitting idea is quite right. Hmm photo in a frame is lovely but she has been minding for over 20 years, do you think a picture of every child she has ever cared for is a good idea as well? She really does have a lovely home, a beautiful large country cottage, so how about something for her house/garden?

ThePrisoner Tue 26-Aug-08 19:45:08

And do write a really nice reference - it is very hard to ask parents to do this!

JolieGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 20:06:48

Done re the reference letter!

PinkChick Tue 26-Aug-08 20:38:04

was just about to say reference, always lovely to get one of those (as long as its good thowink)

jojo76 Tue 26-Aug-08 21:11:18

What about, if she's into gardening, a really nice plant in a lovely container for the patio, that will remind her of your lo? I actually think a really lovely meal out is a gorgeous gift for someone with four kids, everyone likes to go out for dinner, it's a shame you can't get gift vouchers for resturants, is there some way you could give her the money and make it out like a gift card, for a meal out. btw I think you are so lovely doing this for your childminder, i'd wager in 20 years she wont have had such a generous thank you, youll probably make her year! grin

lindseyfox Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:23

you can get gift vouchers for restaurants beefeater do them as do alot of private individual restaurants just have to ask. I am the eldest of 8 children and a few yrs back brought my parents restaurant vouchers so they could go out for dinner

alibubbles Wed 27-Aug-08 09:20:00

I had a rose bush from one, it blooms every year, and had part of the child's name, which showed great thought.

This year I was given a beautiful clematis, which I really appreciated, as we have a gap in the fencing, so that will cover it eventually. Both longer lasting than flowers.

One of the others knows who my wine merchant is, so went to see them and got few of my favourites, I think that showed that they really cared which wine they bought me, not just any old plonk!

I have some beautiful sterling silver frames with photos in, my families know that I collect silver frames as they are faced with a large assortment on the hall table!

I still have a drinks coaster with a picture of a burmese cat on it, that a child gave me 16 years ago, it looks just like one of my burmese cats.

It doesn't have to cost a lot, the thought is far more important, the fact someone has spent time thinking about an appropriate gift means a lot.

That said, I don't expect anything!

weddingcake Wed 27-Aug-08 10:43:01

What about garden centre vouchers? Theatre/Cinema vouchers?

stellabgh Wed 27-Aug-08 13:10:02

I was given a M&S voucher which was lovely. Would have loved a letter of reference too.

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 28-Aug-08 20:35:08

i would most definately NOT want an ornament!

i think i'd most apprieciate a voucher - maybe Boots or M&S.
Also a nice card made by the child and a reference would be fantastic.

alibubbles Fri 29-Aug-08 12:42:09

I have some fabulous references and they mean so much to me, especially the recent ones from two mums in particular.

nannynick Fri 29-Aug-08 19:43:35

If you work somewhere a bit different, perhaps somewhere famous, then a few promotional items may be suitable.
I got a 10 Downing Street Pen for example (and no, can't say who I worked for!).

MaureenMLove Fri 29-Aug-08 19:57:59

I would not suggest getting what one of mine got me, which is one of these! However, I would suggest what another parent bought me, which is this! Love the words, just perfect!

cat1978 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:12:44

MaureenMLove; I would get the Willow tree ornament too, I think they have meaning.
You can get a nice little one that just says thank-you.

jojo76 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:47:16

MaureenMLove, but dont you use the dish to display all the homemade healthy eyfs themed snacks you make with the kids?!? wink

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 29-Aug-08 20:56:59

ha ha - see mo , i LOVE the cakestand but i'd HATE to receive to ornament! But we are all different and each to their own smile

MaureenMLove Fri 29-Aug-08 21:11:49

No Jojo! I am an ex-minder now! You lot can take your EYFS and stick it where the sun don't shine!grin Good luck to the lot of you!

You are so right Vi. Horses for courses! I love my ornament, the cake stand was on Ebay before ex-mindee got home!grin

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 29-Aug-08 21:15:47

awww - i'd've had it!! would look great with cucumber saaaanndwiches on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now