Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does anyone know if it is feasible to have an au pair part time?

(9 Posts)
ThreeGorgeousBoys Mon 25-Aug-08 14:13:56

I am thinking of going back to work a few days a week and therefore wondered if it would be possible to get an au pair/nanny part time. i wondered if any one has experieince of this and how it affects pay etc. I have never used either before, so am completely in the dark as to how it all works and the best way to go about it.

AvenaLife Mon 25-Aug-08 14:15:21

I don't think you can get a part time au pair as she/he'll have to sleep somewhere. You could nanny share though.

Stars22 Mon 25-Aug-08 14:16:05

You can definatly get part time nannies, i dont no about an au pair because i dont think an au pair is suppose to be left sole charge of your children.

imananny Mon 25-Aug-08 14:46:47

sure you will easily find a part time nanny, but might be harder to find a part time ap

what area are you in? and what hours/days/age of children do you have?

i think that makes a differnce to what type of childcare you need, ie if all at school then ap, if younger than a nanny

nannies are def more exp then an a[p

LadyMuck Mon 25-Aug-08 14:49:26

Well an au pair would be living with you, but you could arrange whatever hours you wanted - eg she could do 25 hours over 3 days. But she would still be living with you the rest of the time. Part-time nannies are now far more common than they used to be, so you shouldn't have a problem in finding one especially if you can be flexible as to which days you need (as they will typically still work the full week, just do other days with a different family).

ThreeGorgeousBoys Mon 25-Aug-08 15:09:41

Hi, thanks for your advice. I'm a bit out in the sticks in Lincolnshire and have three boys. One about to start school and a 2 year old and a 2 month old. I am hoping to get a job to work around school hours 3 days a week if possible. I figured with the 3 of them it may be a cheaper alternative and better for my boys to have a nanny as opposed to using a nursery and shunting them around. It's just an idea at the moment, but with my family complete, I am feeling like I need to get some of me back and would like to have a job again so that I feel part of the real worl and less isolated. However, I don't want to compromise my boys happy lives too much in the process. Thanks very much to all.

jura Mon 25-Aug-08 15:28:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Mon 25-Aug-08 17:15:36

Nanny seems most viable.
Your location could make finding a part-time nanny tricky, but you don't know until you try.
Just did a search on NannyJob and there are parents/agencies advertising for nannies in Lincolnshire. So you are not the only parent wanting a part-time nanny in your county. NannyJob also have a CV search system (you need to register to view full details) which may be worth looking through.

Also try NannySelect - at time of search, there were 30 nannies listed in Lincolnshire on their system. Some entries are a bit old, but may be worth while becoming a member so you can contact them, plus post your own advert.

lindseyfox Mon 25-Aug-08 19:00:12

I can recommend kids matter childcare agency and first choice for families both cover the east midlands inc lincolnshire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now