Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: I got a letter from OFSTED when I got back from holiday

(15 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 24-Aug-08 20:48:37

I get just 4 working days to decide on whether I am childminding or childcare on domestic premises

I do think that's unfair

I am fairly sure I know what I am/want to be

But I think 4 working days is a bit off

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 24-Aug-08 20:56:51

Good lord Katy

What is the date on the letter? Am thinking that perhaps they gave say 7 days but you were away for the first bit?

( I still think even 7 sodding days is a Bit Off quite frankly)

KatyMac Sun 24-Aug-08 21:00:18

Even if you add then it's only 11 working days

If I don't decide by 1st September then decide after that I have to meet all the requirements immediately. IF I decide before the 1st September I get 2.5 yrs to ring my setting up to the higher standard

KatyMac Sun 24-Aug-08 21:01:29

It was dated 5th August - but cannot have arrived before the 18th

It's threatening blackmail if you ask me

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 24-Aug-08 21:02:26

angry

ThePrisoner Mon 25-Aug-08 15:53:42

Katymac - I have got the same letter as you - dated 5th August, and it arrived yesterday (24th!!!) I would imagine yours was sent at the same time as mine. What an amazing postal system!

I have my husband and 3 dds all registered as assistants, so Ofsted are thinking that I should also now operate as "childcare on domestic premises."

My registration makes it perfectly clear that I am only ever allowed to have 6 children under the age of 8 years - if I have an assistant here, then they can all be under 5 years (but still only a maximum of 6 children).

I would love to know why they have decided that I now operate as a childminder employing my entire family as assistants.

KatyMac Mon 25-Aug-08 16:07:19

You (like me) are still a childminder

But do you agree that 4 working days is a bit off?

abba1772 Mon 25-Aug-08 16:29:57

i still haven't had a letter regarding this yet, should i phone them?????

ThePrisoner Mon 25-Aug-08 16:39:56

I would like to know which postal system Ofsted actually use - they obviously only posted these on Thursday or Friday as they came first class and definitely arrived this Saturday. So, yes, I do agree that the amount on notice they are giving is unfair!!

It doesn't matter to me because I do operate as a solo childminder, and my unwilling assistants are only here as emergency back-up, or if I am asked to have an extra child for a day in the school holidays.

I am wondering how much trouble I would be in if I wrote back to Ofsted and asked to have my current registration changed to show that I work with 4 assistants now, as my current registration certificate clearly states I may only work with one assistant at any one time!!

And then I will write back to them and ask for it to be changed back again in accordance with their new legislation.

Your situation is obviously far more complicated than mine because you do work with assistants all the time.

I noticed that, if you do register as "childcare on domestic premises", you will have until March 2011 to ensure that you and all your assistants have the relevant qualifications. I can't be bothered to follow their links to see what these are, because they will have changed their minds again about everything before then.

KatyMac Mon 25-Aug-08 16:41:48

But if I take longer than 4 working days to decide I must meet them immediately

KatyMac Mon 25-Aug-08 16:42:32

abba - do you work with assistants or other childminder?

ThePrisoner Mon 25-Aug-08 16:51:46

Katymac - what happens if you just tell them that you want to register as "childcare on domestic premises" and, later on, just tell them that you have changed your mind?

I read your other thread about how things are going sad - if you end up having less assistants at some point, then there would be no issue.

abba1772 Mon 25-Aug-08 17:05:49

i'm just a lonely childminder lol

there are so many changes in such a short period of time

KatyMac Mon 25-Aug-08 20:13:40

I don't know - but its all a bit much tbh

Arfa Mon 25-Aug-08 23:03:49

The bar stewards!! angry

IMO, Ofsted are doing everything to squeeze out the independent operators. Eventually there will only be the big multi-national nurseries operating in this country. And New Labour love big business (oh how times have changed). Readers of Private Eye will know exactly what I mean.

Sorry I can't help or offer any other suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now